Emperor Sury - Pangea

Will someone please tell me who moves first, Shaka or Sal? Sal has two spears low in this picture but if Shaka moves first I think he takes them out. Axe and 2 archers in Kufah. No walls.

Civ4ScreenShot0074.JPG

Went north to shadow Shaka's stack. If at all possible, he walks away from this war with nothing. Arabs down to 2 cities. Pillaging some tiles.
@sampsa 6 cats now, 6 more in queue.

Civ4ScreenShot0075.JPG

I would sell the wheat for 1:gold:pt even, 8:gold: is great! It's free money and you should learn the habit of looking into such possibilities every turn.

I would assemble a stack of ~10cats+10units asap and probably start killing Shaka. Time is nigh. I think if you are in multiple wars they resist capitulation though. Losing units gives them war success so HAs aren't that hot for chain capitulation, but of course they are still great for taking weaker cities.

You should be able to win in 25T or so.

Post saves too...folks can help clean some things up here, especially with cities and the economy. Always important to trade resources for whatever gpt you can get.

I would sell the wheat for 1:gold:pt even, 8:gold: is great! It's free money and you should learn the habit of looking into such possibilities every turn.

I would assemble a stack of ~10cats+10units asap and probably start killing Shaka. Time is nigh. I think if you are in multiple wars they resist capitulation though. Losing units gives them war success so HAs aren't that hot for chain capitulation, but of course they are still great for taking weaker cities.

You should be able to win in 25T or so.
100% on learning the habit. I seldom do it and am missing out on too many opportunities.
2nd one just popped. Great Spy. We already did the GA. I mentioned that when we did so, went to HR when we traded for Monarchy.

Arabs are gone quickly as those last two cities weren't heavily defended. We razed all cities and as planned Shaka came away empty.

Now we are in a position to deal with the Zulu unmolested. Everyone except us has feudalism but we will have it next turn. We have 6 phants and 4 more queued up. I think the glorious HA Age has run it's course.

Civ4ScreenShot0077.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0078.JPG

2nd one just popped. Great Spy. We already did the GA. I mentioned that when we did so, went to Monarchy.
Ah, makes sense. Unfortunately you don't do much with :gp: in this game, no way you'll ever get a 2nd GA. Great news is that you got the GSpy, which is at least somewhat useful. Free scouting and you can infiltrate an enemy (Shaka?) to at least blow up walls with spies.

I think the glorious HA Age has run it's course.
Yes, but they are still excellent units due to relatively high base strength and 2 movement. But yes, you will need some catapult support for stronger cities from now on.

strike is near :clap:
If 3 cities or so switch to wealth, we go back to a positive cash flow.

Something else I haven't done enough of, which is begging. Pacal gave us sailing and Charlie gave us monotheism. What fine fellows!

Last edited:
Oh, I don't know. It didn't turn out to be such a bad place. It could use a lighthouse.
No, it couldn't. It could use more whipping! While you've played very well, you haven't grasped the very essence of the stomp. You whip.

There goes my market in the capital idea too, I suppose.
Yes. You are way way way too close to winning for a 150:hammers: building to pay back. Maybe immediately at currency, but still pretty meh IMO.

Post saves too...folks can help clean some things up here, especially with cities and the economy. Always important to trade resources for whatever gpt you can get.

Attachments

• Emperor Sury AD-0740 T147 Arabs gone.CivBeyondSwordSave
    214.7 KB · Views: 7
Looks good!

You could again gain some pennies for resources. I guess my biggest complaint of what I see is that you have lots of units that you aren't using. There is no place for standing armies in this game. You have lots of overgrown cities working weak/mediocre tiles so time to whip out cats in all of them. I guess I'd go Charlie-Pacal-Shaka but it doesn't matter much. Accept capitulation immediately when available. Whip more units (and use them) to gain more power ratio. I don't think it should take much more than 25T.

Looks good!

You could again gain some pennies for resources. I guess my biggest complaint of what I see is that you have lots of units that you aren't using. There is no place for standing armies in this game. You have lots of overgrown cities working weak/mediocre tiles so time to whip out cats in all of them. I guess I'd go Charlie-Pacal-Shaka but it doesn't matter much. Accept capitulation immediately when available. Whip more units (and use them) to gain more power ratio. I don't think it should take much more than 25T.
I'm happy to explain these excess units as I didn't go into a lot of detail as to what the greater plan was, specifically at the start of the Arab War.

First off, our lands are pretty much an east-west orientation. Kind of like the latter-day Roman Empire. The distance from one end to the other is pretty substantial, and so any unit built on one side, will take a while to get to the other in this pre-engineering period. It's like getting a legion from Persia to Spain which will take a good while. Unless in our case it's a horse archer of course.

My plan was always to primarily use what horse archers we had in the west to knock off the Arabs in a short campaign. Some reinforcement would certainly be needed, but cities in the west could meet those requirements. Meanwhile to prepare for war in the east against the Zulu, we have this other force built up, and it's there now. In fact over the last few turns I was sending stuff east when it was clear this wasn't going to be a long campaign. And it wasn't, from start to end it was only 17 turns to kill the Arabs. It's GPT, yes, but now I don't have to drag it all the way back from the west. And again, had I sent a ballista elephant from Uruk on the first turn of the war, I doubt it would have made it to the last Arab city even now. So it's available now in the east against the Zulu. The forces in the west can now gather to take on his stack there, and we can go off of that.

That was my thinking.

Now what happens next is exactly as you say. We're back to frequent whipping, although the chopping to minimize the blood loss will not be there near as much as we've chopped away most of the timber.

The next build up shouldn't take long. Pacal will probably go second, Charlie last. Now if by chance Shaka plots in a few turns and heads off towards Charlie or Pacal, I'll probably let it go and send everyone in the west to the east.

Top Bottom