TSG26 After Action Report

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Hi everyone and welcome to the TSG26 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay).

Would be interested to hear any thoughts on game setup. :)
How did the small map and quick speed affect your game?

Game: Civ5 GOTM 26
Date submitted: 2011-12-15
Reference number: 25333
Your name: Monthar
Your email:
Game status: Diplomacy Victory
Game date: 1964AD
Turns played: 252
Base score: 1285
Final score: 1690
Time played: 2:05:00
Submitted save: TSG26_Diplomatic_Victory.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Monthar_C502601.Civ5Save

I was nowhere near optimal, but I did REX this game.

Am I too late? :) I am ashamed of my gameplay, I had to even sell 3 of my 4 cities (kept the capital of course) to save enough money but I (barely) won in 232 turns. I don't know why but I felt it more difficult than Emperor GOTM 1 month ago, I won that easily but I had difficulties now on Prince.
Maybe because I am not used to Archipelago/Island, maybe because of Darius who conquered everyone and had lots of money.

Reference number: 25335
Your name: ladia74
Game date: 1924AD
Turns played: 232
Base score: 576
Final score: 822
Time played: 2:24:00
Submitted save: Washington_0232 AD-1924.Civ5Save
Renamed file: ladia74_C502601.Civ5Save

Washington. Turn 237. Diplomatic.

Game date: 1934AD
Turns played: 237
Base score: 1526
Final score: 2149
Time played: 1:37:00
Submitted save: GOTM26Save.Civ5Save
Renamed file: trueblue_C502601.Civ5Save

Totaly unremarkable game. Though i dont often play Quick. Surprised it only took me just over an hour and a half.

Went the usual wonders way. GL, HG, Oracle, CI, HS, PT, blah, blah.

Meantime i banged out 4 cities and went tall.

No wars. A scout, a Tireme, a few work boats and a Caravel = units built. and two B17's because i wanted to see what they looked like.

Liberty, Piety, Patronage, Tradition. Not necessarily in that order.

an enjoyable wee romp.

Am I too late? :) I am ashamed of my gameplay, I had to even sell 3 of my 4 cities (kept the capital of course) to save enough money but I (barely) won in 232 turns. I don't know why but I felt it more difficult than Emperor GOTM 1 month ago, I won that easily but I had difficulties now on Prince.
Maybe because I am not used to Archipelago/Island, maybe because of Darius who conquered everyone and had lots of money.
Curious to know how much the lack of early RA's played into this because you were fairly well isolated for a time? Also, the quick pace?

I know it was quick speed, but :eek:

Guess we'll have to start Game of the Day? :lol:

Or just no more quick speed games?

BTW, I took a GM with the liberty finished to ally Tyre.

Curious to know how much the lack of early RA's played into this because you were fairly well isolated for a time? Also, the quick pace?

Science was OK Leif, I had 4 cities with Libraries, Universities, National College, Oxford University, Research Lab, Observatory (in 1 city), Public School.
I also managed to build Great Library, Hagia, Notre Dame, Porcelain and other. I finished with arround 700-800 beakers/turn and 7-8 GS bulbing last tehnologies needed.
The problem was Darius... I noticed early that one of the opponents build wonder after wonder and has a score higher than mine. So I sent a ship to find him. The plan was to find him until Navigation and then attack with frigates but unfortunately I only had 2 iron so I hesitated and then choose to play peacefully.
It probably was a mistake because he conquered almost entire continent and had a lot of money. At the end, I was broken trying to compete with him for CSs but I managed 11 votes (10 needed) so I barely won in 232 turns. I checked again the settings and...yes, it was Prince :)
I only signed maybe 2 RAs, I usually spend money to gradually ally CSs in diplomatic games. I don't master the median thing, I have to read that article in the Academy Section.
About the quick pace? I think it was my first game with such settings, I always play standard...the only thing that come to my mind is that GS were less powerfull, I mean I spent them bulbing last technologies but that technologies only took me 3 to 7 turns to hard research, so no big advantage to use a GS.

Date submitted: 2011-12-16
Reference number: 25342
Your name: Aaronius
Game date: 1910AD
Turns played: 225
Base score: 1242
Final score: 1826
Time played: 2:50:00

Short sweet and to the point. It was wonderful being alone on the island. Went with a four city strategy. Built lots of wonders and got lots of ruins. Stayed friendly with everybody all game for lots of RAs. Backstabbed and declared on Darius after UN was built so I could use his own money to buy his CS off of him. He had every right to be angry, but he killed two other civs.

As the golden rule clearly states: He with the gold rules.

This was fun.

Date submitted: 2011-12-16
Reference number: 25345
Your name: Cold Coffee
Game date: 1982AD
Turns played: 262
Base score: 803
Final score: 1016
Time played: 6:09:00
Submitted save: ColdCoffee_0262 AD-1982.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Cold_Coffee_C502601.Civ5Save

Settled on the sheep tile east of the starting point. Went 3 cities when I could have gone 4, perhaps that would have made the difference in how fast I could reach Globalization, but the flow of barbarians at the time scared me off. I'm patting myself on the back for my first GOTM though.

Went Tradition --> Patronage --> left side of rationalism tree to get 2 free techs. In retrospect I could have gone to scholasticism, then gotten my rationalism talents with the exception of getting 2 free techs... might have made the difference of a few turns or so I wager.

I also mismanaged my money as I could have invested in way more RA's this game. I was spending it on CS and purchasing buildings for increased research and wealth.

Date submitted: 2011-12-17
Reference number: 25349
Your name: Zikkurat
Game date: 1997AD
Turns played: 277
Base score: 904
Final score: 1089
Time played: 4:41:00

I'm a bit disappointed this took me until t277 to win - but it was a very fun game to play. Looks like Cold Coffees game and mine were quite similar - looking forward to check your save game here. I also went for 3 cities, all on my continent and had quite a hard time in the beginning with the barbs. Scouting the area was fun, too. I build 2 triremes and went for +1 sight to contact the CSs as soon as possible.

In the social sciences I started with Liberty for the free settler, followed by Tradition for the wonder building boost. I planned to build a lot of them (which I basically managed to do). The rest was filling Patronage and Rationalism and some of Freedom. With the two free techs from Scientific Revolution I got Mass Media and Computers and bulbed Globalisation. It was a nice finish and as planned, but it still took me long to get the tech tree in the right position to do so. I guess I need to read a bit more about that, because I always end up having a string of old technology to research, before I can get to my focus tech again.

I also had a GE ready to boost the UN...when I found, that one is not enough :)

It was a very peaceful game, which I very much prefer. Not once I was DoW'ed, while the AIs had quite some quarrels. Happiness was never an issue for me, Gold mostly not. As Cold Coffee I had spend the money mostly on CSs and buildings and too little on RAs.

My biggest mistake was, that I totally forgot about city management. For the bigger part of the game I had the cities on standard focus :rolleyes:

Anyway...very fun game. Thanks Leif!

Reference number: 25355
Your name: Mazer Rackham
Game date: 1840AD
Turns played: 193
Base score: 891
Final score: 1536

Spoiler :

Monte got eliminated and Harun turned hostile on me, which hurt my RA options. I was able to generate 7 great scientists and 2 great engineers - the 2nd GE popped the very turn I bulbed Globalization, so I was able to complete the UN in 1 turn.

This was my first quick game. I haven't played a small map either since the big patch, so those two things made the game really interesting. The map setup was cool - I would've rather been on the 3 AI continent for the early trading partners. I even would've rather been on Harun's landmass with all the CS to meet and try to gain early alliances from barb hunting. But an advantage of having our own island was I never built any troops other than a couple of scouts and 1 cannon when Lizzy looked like she was thinking about landing some units on my banks.

I got the GL and picked civil service. Built the national college at 2 cities and then settled 2 more. Got the Oracle, CI, HS, PT, and ND. Also got Machu Picchu. Considered going Tradition because I remember hearing the food bonus is really powerful on quick speed but ended up going Liberty.

For other policies, I took Rationalism opener, completed Liberty with the Oracle, Freedom opener, then the left side of rationalism. I also got a few Patronage at the end to make buying and holding CS easier.

I finished my game yesterday. I wanted to send my game on youtube but realised that i need a permission to send long videos. I'm gonna retry tomorrow(take at least 1 hour to upload but i'm going elsewhere today). I will post the link later.

Your name: Tabarnak
Game date: 1715AD
Turns played: 168
Base score: 844
Final score: 1688
Time played: 2:33:00
Submitted save: Washington_0168 AD-1715.Civ5Save

Code:
Game: 	Civ5 GOTM 26
Date submitted: 	2011-12-17
Your name: 	tithin
Game status: 	Science Wrong VC
Game date: 	2035AD
Turns played: 	315
Base score: 	1518
Final score: 	1597
Time played: 	2:15:00
Submitted save: Washington_0315 AD-2035.Civ5Save

Apparently with GOTM's everyone's to go for the same victory condition? wasn't aware, my bad - this is my first one.

This being said, I had a difficult early game, I was hounded by barbarians at the start, lost the GL one turn off completion and after that it was relatively straightforward game despite being so far behind. - went for a few wonders I don't normally go for because they'd been open for so long (5 turns to complete the Pyramids at turn 100 or so? ok..)

On the easternmost continent Monte went off the damned chart and just sped off into the night. Wiped out Darius, Gandhi, and in the mid 200s finally took out Elizabeth.

Had some issues late game as I had absolutely no oil on the mainland, no aluminium, and only one lot of coal. Managed to get some oil off the northeast coast.

Strangest Prince game I've ever had, my start was just absolutely overcome with barbarians.

What happened?

When I realized we were starting off isolated, I decided to forgo the army which I usually build. As the game progressed, everybody was either hostile, or got conquered by Darius, so I couldn't take advantage of many RAs. Instead, I got to Globalization by bulbing a ton of great scientists. However, leaving them around for so long had burnt a HUGE hole in my pocket since gold means so much more on quick pace. This meant that I only had 1 or 2 allied city states until the very end of the game. Around turn 150, I realized I needed an army in order to go conquer some folks and build up a better infrastructure. This is where I got lazy.

After starting to work towards an army in the late renaissance era, I got sidetracked by all of the buildings and techs that were flying in due to the game pace. I pretty much stopped checking the diplomacy screen, and started making arbitrary decisions on what to build. I clicked next a bunch of times, and soon found myself in the modern era, sitting on a bunch of cool buildings and wonders, but with no gold or army. I threw together a few mech infantry and rocket artillery, bulbed globalization, and began working on the United Nations.

I should have attacked Darius, but instead, I attacked Harun. This was mostly a grudging reaction to his early game jerkitude. By the time I'd removed him from the playing field, it was down to me and Darius. The United Nations voted, but I was still broke, so I only had a handful of city-states. Darius had all the others. For the next 10 turns I sailed my fleet towards Darius' continent. I was still broke. During those 10 turns Darius spent gratuitous amounts of gold buying up every city-state one by one. He won with a diplomacy victory on the turn right before I was going to invade. Bleh.

Apparently with GOTM's everyone's to go for the same victory condition? wasn't aware, my bad - this is my first one.
:wavey:

Welcome to GOTM. The Game Announcement thread will explain the Victory Condition and the game settings for you each game. You do not have to win by the specified VC, but by playing to the VC, everyone's game are more comparable.

Strangest Prince game I've ever had, my start was just absolutely overcome with barbarians.
Most likely due to the isolated start. Got to go and get those Barb Camps. :hammer:

Date submitted: 2011-12-18
Reference number: 25362
Your name: Falk
Game date: 1944AD
Turns played: 242
Base score: 979
Final score: 1341
Time played: 1:54:00

First game for half a year or so, so I used the GotM to get into the game again. I almost completely neglected RAs and GP managment which cost me a lot of turns. Though even with proper RA and GP handling I surely wouldn't have been able to finish at 1715AD (looking forward to the video)!

I went with 4 cities and played a relaxed and easy builder game.

One thing I didnt like about this GotM:
Washington was a pretty pointless leader for this start. With no enemies anywhere near, his abilities were kinda useless.

Top Bottom