New Unit: UH1 Iroquois 03/07/2004

BeBro

King of the Krauts

Attachments

• huey_att.gif
    huey_att.gif
    79.7 KB · Views: 3,777
Sh*t, ripp has been thronged before me, otherwise i had the first reply. Just downloaded. I´ll test the unit and give a report later. (looks very good and this was fast :eek: )

Here I was expecting some strange Native American and what do I see? I Huey :D I don't think I've ever heard it called Iroquois before. Is that the 'Official name'? And why did they call them huey (something to do with the UH 1 in the name?)?

It looks great :)

Yeah, Iroquois is the "official" name - about the origin of the nick "huey" I'm not sure, but I suspect the same - UH=Huey.

The US nick-named all helo's after Native American tribes KB. As far as the UH designation B, that's short form for Utility Helicopter (AH-Attack Helo :) )

Okay... Request Time! Could you do the South African Denel Aviation Rooivalk? I know Wyrmshadow has a model if you need it.. but.. Well, I've wanted this one for a while.

The Huey Looks Killer, though.

ripptide said:
The US nick-named all helo's after Native American tribes KB. As far as the UH designation B, that's short form for Utility Helicopter (AH-Attack Helo :) )

I meant the nick name to which it has become known by ;) Through I don't think the first American Helicopter was named after Indians. and not all helo's, the Blackhawk and Cobra.

While I haven't got a clue on the "Cobra" I should sure slap you about "Black Hawk" :rolleyes:

Black Hawk, a Sauk chief, lent his name to the frontier war that gave Abraham Lincoln his one experience in soldiering. Born near Rock Island, Illinois, the future war chief grew up during the period of Spanish ascendancy in the Mississippi Valley. Hostile to American fur traders who manned the trading posts at St. Louis when the United States took over that area in 1804, he refused to recognize the Treaty of St. Louis, in which Sauk and Fox tribes relinquished their claim to all lands east of the Mississippi. During the War of 1812, Black Hawk (whose Indian name was Makataimeshekiakiak) fought for the British under the leadership of the famous Tecumseh. Continuing to brood over the injustice of the Treaty of St. Louis, he attempted, between 1816 and 1829, to enlist. In 1832 he led two hundred warriors and their families back across the Mississippi. Disappointed when no help was offered by neighboring tribes, he was on the verge of seeking a truce precipitating the Black Hawk War. On August 2, 1832, the Indians were overwhelmed at Bad Axe River, Wisconsin, and Black Hawk was taken prisoner.

When President Andrew Jackson ordered Black Hawk brought east in 1833, the Sauk chief became a celebrity and attracted great crowds. His courage, integrity, and dignity were revealed in his Autobiography (1833), which has become an American classic.

http://www.npg.si.edu/col/native/blkhwk.htm

Hawk Statue-north of Oregon, IL

W.i.n.t.e.r said:
While I haven't got a clue on the "Cobra" I should sure slap you about "Black Hawk" :rolleyes:

Black Hawk, a Sauk chief, lent his name to the frontier war that gave Abraham Lincoln his one experience in soldiering. Born near Rock Island, Illinois, the future war chief grew up during the period of Spanish ascendancy in the Mississippi Valley. Hostile to American fur traders who manned the trading posts at St. Louis when the United States took over that area in 1804, he refused to recognize the Treaty of St. Louis, in which Sauk and Fox tribes relinquished their claim to all lands east of the Mississippi. During the War of 1812, Black Hawk (whose Indian name was Makataimeshekiakiak) fought for the British under the leadership of the famous Tecumseh. Continuing to brood over the injustice of the Treaty of St. Louis, he attempted, between 1816 and 1829, to enlist. In 1832 he led two hundred warriors and their families back across the Mississippi. Disappointed when no help was offered by neighboring tribes, he was on the verge of seeking a truce precipitating the Black Hawk War. On August 2, 1832, the Indians were overwhelmed at Bad Axe River, Wisconsin, and Black Hawk was taken prisoner.

When President Andrew Jackson ordered Black Hawk brought east in 1833, the Sauk chief became a celebrity and attracted great crowds. His courage, integrity, and dignity were revealed in his Autobiography (1833), which has become an American classic.

http://www.npg.si.edu/col/native/blkhwk.htm

Hawk Statue-north of Oregon, IL

Yes but it's not the name of an indian tribe. :mischief:

:king: Bebro, I´ve tested the Huey in the game, it is fantastic :thumbsup:

I´ve made a new rotor sound, because this heli has only two rotor blades and we all know how this sounds. I take the standoff sound as default (its more quiet) and the other one as run wav. Enjoy (sometimes i have also some useful comments, but very few :lol: )

Attachments

• UH1sounds.zip
    496.4 KB · Views: 372
There was a tribe known as the Blackhawks in Illinois or Wisconsin - they were, I believe, obliterated/dispersed in the 1820s. Chief Black Hawk was a Sauk, as mentioned by another.

Well Chief Black Hawk was in the same area. His tribe originated in Illinois and would settle in Wisconsin in the end where it would stand its final battle. It would seem the so called "Black Hawk Tribe" was indeed a nothing but mixture of Sauk, Fox and Shawnee sub-tribes united under Black Hawk.
another

unscratchedfoot said:
Thanks for the huey bebro. I would've preferred a side door gunner attack but the rockets are cool too which were the only good part of the movie apocolypse now.
I concurr your Excelency ;)

ps. if you really into it go n watch the directors cut ... all the crazy out-take stuff still in :|

I just can't resist an attack of Smart a**...anyone got a history on the Sea Stallion, Sea Knight and Seaking Tribes? Actually, the Native American names were given to
the choppers by the companies who built them. Someone in their marketing department said that it was better to have a cool name than a designation number.

Apocalypse Now is one of the best movies to come out of the 70's, and to this day my favourite Vietnam War movie. Nothing even comes close. Full Metal Jacket is good, but the best parts are boot camp; the movie breaks down once they finally come to Vietnam.

I use a wav clip from "Flight of the Valkyries" as my attack sound for this unit. Works surprisingly great in-game.

Top Bottom