New Unit: Illuminati Cultist

Flamegrape

Warlord
CULTIST
by Flamegrape
Release Date: 9 August 2004

This is my first unit. However, most of the work is not original. This unit is a slight modification of the "Sith Master" unit created by tpasmall. I presume that it was an appropriated unit from a Star Wars computer game such as "Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds" but I am not sure about this. All I did was change the color of the robe and hood to red. I also fixed a slight visual bug in the death animation.

I created the Cultist to be an Illuminati unit for my Subgenius CIV3 mod. I do not know if the Illuminati actually used (or uses?) red robes. I am using a German book cover illustration of Dan Brown's novel, "Illuminati," that I found on the internet. (This novel is known as "Angels & Demons" elsewhere in the world. It is an interesting book, by the way.)

Although a typical cultist would attack with a ceremonial knife, bolts of lightning shooting from the hands looks much more dramatic.

See the READ_ME.txt file for information about the Illuminati. (Or just read the Wikipedia entry here.)

Attachments

• CultistAttack.gif
    CultistAttack.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 2,456
  • CultistDeath.gif
    CultistDeath.gif
    7.5 KB · Views: 1,483
  • Illuminati_Cultist.zip
    171.9 KB · Views: 402
  • Illuminati_Cultist_WAVs.zip
    329.4 KB · Views: 390
LOl, great idea. Finally the Illuminati have made it to CFC. :)

Oh, they've been here for a long, long time ... (adjusts tinfoil hat).

Well, I've already noticed an obvious problem. There are some transparent pixels that are apparent when I tested it in the game. Yes, I know I should have tested it before I released it. Have mercy. It's my first unit. I thought I had fixed the problem I had with building the CLUT, but I guess it didn't fix everything. I will try to fix this new problem ASAP. Otherwise, the unit works just fine.

EDIT: THIS PROBLEM HAS BEEN FIXED. :goodjob:

Looks great, nice modification. :)

Hey, now we have some units to go with the evil pyramid city graphics that someone did a while back. Nice conversion. I might use them as an alternate mage graphic for my Final Fantasy mod.

Flamegrape: Don't feel too bad. I made two whole units from scratch, only to find out that for some reason my copy of FLICster was corrupt, and the files it generated caused the game to crash. I still have to fix the Makou Cannon, and upload both fixed units' files (and face the storm of rotten produce from the ticked off people who downloaded the broken units).

I've fixed the CLUT problem I had with this unit. :goodjob:
The trouble that I was having is worth turning into a tutorial. But I will have to experiment a little bit more before I can call myself an expert on the subject.

EDIT: Ah-ha! BeBro pointed me to a post that he made that describes this issue fairly well. I recommend it to anyone who is having problems with the color palette (CLUT) and unit creation:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=2074412&postcount=3
:goodjob:

I'm sorry to say that the civ colours are messed up; take a look in flicster using white, to see what I mean. :sad: You shouldn't have any reds in the first four rows, basically.

mrtn said:
I'm sorry to say that the civ colours are messed up; take a look in flicster using white, to see what I mean. :sad: You shouldn't have any reds in the first four rows, basically.
Did you download the latest version? Try downloading it again and install it. I'm sure that I fixed that problem.

Flamegrape said:
Did you download the latest version? Try downloading it again and install it. I'm sure that I fixed that problem.
It's the one you have in the first post. Tried it again, still don't work.

mrtn said:
It's the one you have in the first post. Tried it again, still don't work.
I don't understand the problem. It looks perfect in FLICster no matter which CivColor I choose. It looks perfect in the game.

However, I noticed that FLICster changed the CLUT from the way I set it in Photoshop:

Attachments

• Cultist Photoshop CLUT.gif
    Cultist Photoshop CLUT.gif
    13.4 KB · Views: 262
  • Cultist FLICster Default CLUT.gif
    Cultist FLICster Default CLUT.gif
    9.5 KB · Views: 214
  • Cultist FLICster CivColor0 CLUT.gif
    Cultist FLICster CivColor0 CLUT.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 158
something, don't remember what. ;) Get 18. I think that the link in the flicster thread is broken, but I reposted it (probably still quite close to the end of the thread).

Is anyone else having any problems with this unit? I swear that I don't. At least there's nothing wrong that I've noticed so far...

I was using Build 17 with FLICster but when i went to make my unit. It just appeard as pink. (except for the shadows). Then i upgraded to Build 18 and it worked just fine.

Ah ha, I saw the title and thought, someone's been reading Dan Brown... it's a fun book, but don't take any of it remotely seriously!

I'm not sure where this unit could fit into the game. Maybe some kind of Renaissance mod? Ooooh, now that actually does sound rather interesting...

BeBro said:
LOl, great idea. Finally the Illuminati have made it to CFC. :)

What do you mean Finally? *motions for his subordinates to fetch the amnesia ray, and by amnesia ray i mean revolver*

Top Bottom