STAR WARS fully animated hoth Laser Turret available for download here!

abcman

Chieftain
Here's a fully animated STAR WARS unit for the upcoming Star Wars mod that I've been working on the last couple of weeks!
It's a model of the Laser Turret the rebels used agains the Imperial surface attack on Hoth.
Take a look at the screenshot below, and I'm sure you'll recognzie it from the movies! :)
Any comments appreciated, and if you find any errors, please tell me.

STAR WARS MOD SITE
http://www.strategyplanet.com/civilization/starwars/

Attachments

• swturret.zip
    219.4 KB · Views: 781
Default look of the unit.

Attachments

• screenshot_default.gif
    screenshot_default.gif
    16.6 KB · Views: 1,846
Um i had a really good idea for how a turret would work in-game but i forgot :(

Could u make a Planetary Turbolaser that would be cool. it could have a bombard range and such and no defence as it would be easily captured by ground forces on planet andway what was i saying. um...............i could look back but im wierd..............and drunk and such......:) i like beer um................................................................................................................................DO A PLANETARY TURBOLASER PUL-LEAZE :) :) :)

You could make the Turret Immobile in game, then have it with a bombard and defense rating but a low attack. You would probably want to flag airlift as an option so it can go from one city to another, but if you don't have a Space Port/Station then moving it to those locations would be impossible. Anyways, great unit. Is it from SW:BG?

I think what he means is how i told you that it would be used. With the immobile flag tagged and a high defense. Also, it would be loadable so that land transports could carry them.

Yeah it definitely should be immobile and have a high defense.
It shouldn't have an attack rating, and it shouldn't be able to move (in the mod)
I don't know about bombard.
Those turrets still can't shoot that long. hmm.. but I think it would be cool.
In that way you could make a wall of turrets and units and anybody who dares come close to them you can bombard with the turrets before they actually attack you....

But it's all up to you of course...

Unless I've completely misunderstood the Civ3 battle mechanics, giving it a high defense and low attack is rediculous, since it means the unit is simply hard to hit and hurts the attackers rarely. It should be wuite the opposite! It should have a small defense and a high attack, so it would would hit its attacker often, and get hit often... And I think it should have a bombard of only 1 or 2 to simulate that it can attack things that are approaching it, and it should be able to get paradropped somewhere so it could be used to defend land and not only cities...
Just my two cents...

can you give it the thing tanks have; so when something passes it, it shoots?

I think you have misunderstood Civ3's battle mechanics. Though attack does effect how muc ha unit can hurt on a counter offensive, the majority of defensive units relies on their defensive rating. This is why defensive units always havea higher defense then they do attack. Though they may have an attack thats higher then 1 or 2, this does not mean their ability to respond to attacks is dependent upon their attack rating. Otherwise Spearmen, Pikemen, Musketmen, etc. etc. would all be useless in game.

The defense value is it's chance to damage when Defending, and it's Attack value is it's chance to damage when attacking.

Hope this cleared things out.

I'm not sure about this but if you set it as immobile, what would be the point of any attack rating at all, since it can't move into an enemy square to attack? Wouldn't it need only defense and bombard?

Yeah. Ted G.
That was actually what I wrote in a post above. Since it isn't moveable it shouldn't have an attack rating either.
But the editor lets the units have a minimum of "1" as attack (as far as I remember), so it have to have at least 1 in attack. (even if it doesn't matter)

The unit will be transportable on land (by a landtransport). Paradropping a turret sounds a bit unrealistic. :)
I'm sure we'll put the best and the right preferences for the unit in the upcoming Star Wars mod anyway. Don't worry! :cool:

What do you mean it has to have an attack rating of at least one? What about settlers, workers, etc. which have an attack rating of 0? All artillery units have that too. Basically that disables the ability to attack at all, but bombard still works fine.

They can have an attack rating of 0, they have to have a move rating of 1.

is anyone going to answer me!?

CAN YOU GIVE IT THE THING TANKS HAVE SO WHEN SOMETHING PASSES, IT SHOOTS AT IT

Uhm, when you have all caps it means your yelling, don't yell please. As for your answer, yes you can by clicking the zone of control box.

Here is an edited Attack sound I added to the Original and a Fortify Sound I made for abcman's Laser Turret. INI Included.
...the Fortify sound will also play with the Attack sound and due to being longer, makes a for a nice addition. As for the Fortify sound, I just thought it needed one. Nice Work on this Laser Turret abcman :goodjob:

Top Bottom