New Unit: Shaolin Monk (Oct. 27, 2004)

CamJH

Uncle Cam
Here you go, My second unit... the Shaolin Monk. :)

Many thanks to Kinboat for his paperdoll figure, clothing models, and for all the tips and help he provided me. Thanks also are due to Cyber Dreyk and Steph for their wonderful programs.

ENJOY!

Download Shaolin Monk
Shaolin Monk

Attack A, Attack B, & Death animations

Keep up the good work, guy!

Yeah, this looks nice, but isn't there any civcolor? And a simple question: will it be so Attack A is run once, and Attack B is run until it either wins or dies?

And the kick looks great, I used to train kickboxing and thats how we kicked...

Thanks for the compliments guys, especially about the kick animation. I won't lie, it was a real bugger to get right. :)

@ Risbinroch, Sorry no civ color on this one. I'm not against civ color, although you probably couldn't tell that from the 2 units I've done so far, they've just had very specific wardrobes. And as for the attack rotation, I've set it up so that the sequence runs Attack A, Attack B, then Attack A again until the unit either wins or dies.

Looks good :D That kick is great...

A great work of art. I'll be sure to use this.

... and the moves are awesome ;)

Very close to Firaxis quality, and you are almost there. This is an extremely successful unit. Congradulations.

I like the "honorful death" more than the kick as a concept, but the kick animation is very good.

Looks good. Woulda liked some civ color though...

Anyone any idea how to use him? He's a tibetian budhist monk fighter, right? Would he belong better to india or china? didn't the siamese have guys similar to this, too?

Bungus said:
Anyone any idea how to use him? He's a tibetian budhist monk fighter, right?
No Shaolin monks are Chinese not Tibetan, so obviosly he should belong to China. I would probably use like this:

3.1.1 all-terrain-as-roads, stealth attack, available with Theology, +2hitpoint(because they are very experienced). Cost 60.

You could also make him require Incense, since that resource is often used in eastern monastaries.

Nice unit btw;)

Don't know about a fast learner, just a perfectionist. ;)

SpincruS, that "honorful death" animation was a close second on the pain-in-the-butt scale to the kick animation. Switching the swords "parent' figure midway through the animation to keep it still on the ground kept messing up all the previous frames until Kinboat was nice enough to share some of his wisdom with me. So in other words, I'm glad you like it. :D

And thanks again to everyone else for their kind words.

oh... and thanks for the tip on the pedia icons mrtn, I had only been using standard anti-aliasing so far, so I'll be sure to bump it up.

There's several ways to implement this unit:

1) SoG might be interested in this suggestion for his Mythology mod ;) : It could be used as a "Knight Errant" unit for the Chinese civilization. Knight Errants, which dominate the classical the martial arts fiction popularized in the Ming Dynasty (often written by bored Confucian scholars ;) ), are not that much different from the action-adventure heroes in modern Chinese martial arts fantasy ficiton.

2) The Dob-doa Warrior Monk: The Dob-doa were warrior monks of Sera Monastery in Tibet. Of course, Tibetan robes are a bit different than Chinese monk robes, but this unit could serve as a representative unit of the Dob-doa monk.

3) Chinese Warrior Monk: no explanation needed. ;)

Top Bottom