Roads network : little causes, big effects

Bobeugen

Chieftain
When the roads network is fully developped, it looks like a set of large hachures. This new set of roads is designed to break this feeling of monotony.

• little causes : only the bottom right tile of Roads.pcx has been redrawn.
  • big effects : this very tile appears nearly everywhere when the roads network is achieved.

Stricto sensu, the regularity still exists. Nevertheless, this redrawing is an efficient eyes-mystifier.

Preview :

In-game :

Note : works with [civ3], maybe also with other civ-flavors

Unzip,
backup ...\Civilization III\Art\Terrain\Roads.pcx,
then replace it.

Attachments

• bu200508roads.zip
    138.3 KB · Views: 216
Here's an attempt to apply this to Niessuh's roads.

Preview :

In-game :

Unzip,
then replace it.

Attachments

• bu200508Niessuhsroads.zip
    88.7 KB · Views: 149
Stony roads and muddy ones have complementary characteristics when it's time to distinguish them from underlying terrain :
  • stony : the right thing for jungles and forests.
  • muddy : easy to find in plains and deserts.

Here's a mix in order to catch the best of both worlds :

These stony roads with muddy sides result from a pure palette work on roads located in the first post of this thread and in post 12 of Niessuh's roads thread.

This palette work has been accomplished thanks to a hex editor. I'm nearly certain that it's the worst way to edit a graphic file : error prone :wallbash: and user unfriendly to say the least :crazyeye:. But even with many googlings :scan:, I've not managed :blush: to find the sympathetic software (preferably free) that allows such directs editings of a bitmap palette, not to speak about copy-pastings of this palette from one bitmap to another bitmap.

So, laaadies and gentlemen :hatsoff:, if anybody knows such a rare pearl, her/his knowledge is welcome.
In the spirit of forum rules, of course :worship:.
Abstract :
Posting of advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are inappropriate on this forum. You are ONLY permitted to advertise your site in your signature or in the "Other Civ-Related Sites" forum if it's a Civ site. The exception to this rule is to inform others of sites that provide a service to benefit them. For example, posting a thread regarding a new free web space provider is acceptable providing there's nothing in it for you except the satisfaction of helping your fellow members.​
End of abstract.

Preview :

In-game :

Note : works with [civ3], maybe also with other civ-flavors.

Unzip,
then replace it.

Attachments

• bu200508roadsStonyMuddy.zip
    138.3 KB · Views: 140
  • bu200508roadsStonyMuddyLightened.zip
    135.1 KB · Views: 157
Very cool, I think I'll try these out.

Where'd you get your forests from, btw? :)

v cool.. any chance of a bit more randomisation as to where the mud parts are? Would be nice if only ever so often muddy edges.. corners perhaps :)

@ Louis XXIV :
Forests can be downloaded from post 1 of this thread.

@ slozenger :
Uh ? :hmm: :confused: :dubious: :) (I'm not sure to understand & I'm sure I don't understand)
-> "randomisation" : a side is a side, I can't randomise it ;) .
-> "Would be nice if only ever so often muddy edges.. corners perhaps" : more information needed :scan: .

well a road would not have mud uniformly along it always... some bits would get wider, some places not at all. So rather than having mud always there.. why not "patchy" and in some places the road is still good with no mud, and other bits much more muddy

random- mud edging only ever so often
corners perhaps- carts going too fast and cutting corners.. make and turns in the road muddier!

Bobeugen said:
@ Louis XXIV :
Forests can be downloaded from post 1 of this thread.

Thanks. I've downloaded them. I'm mixing and matching everything, so your Plains forests have been added in the middle of everything.

@ slozenger :
Ahem ... :wow: (I'm afraid to understand) :
-> :eek: such a redrawing would be a titanesque task (time to completion would probably bring us after CivFive release); moreover, current uniformity of roads ensures contrast with any underlying terrain and this property risks to be lost after such a massive (up or down)grade.
-> so, I boldly choose an escape strategy, woohooo :woohoo: .

Wow, forgot about this thread :)

wouldnt you just change some of the outer pixels to brown and leave some grey?

i'll download and give it a go myself

Top Bottom