New v1.74 Mac Patch Available for Civ4 'Vanilla'

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Aspyr have released the patch to update Civ4 to version 1.74, matching the current Windows version. :)

Download it here.

I've attached a copy of the full ReadMe from the patch to this post. It contains a loooong list of 'Updates', 'Changes', 'Fixes' and 'Additions'. I've zipped it as it's an RTF file.

Please expect future GOTM competition games to require Mac version 1.74, complete with a new, yet to be released, version of the HoF Mod.

Still no Warlords update, and no word on a SDK or BtS for the Mac :(

Attachments

• Read Me.rtf.zip
    6.2 KB · Views: 584
Good to know they're still working on this. But no mention of the audio-related crashes that are plaguing my MBP. Grrr.

Excellent. I'll get around to downloading this patch over the weekend, despite the fact that I haven't fired up Civ IV in, oh, six months or so (real life can be a bear, sometimes).

Gatekeeper

I particularly like the following two changes:
? Can no longer upgrade Marines and SAM Infantry to Mech Infantry
? Marines and SAM Infantry now upgrade to Mech Infantry...

But shame about the lack of audio crash fixes.

Well, at least we know they are working on that, so it's just a matter of time.

BtS and SDK are probably some distance away in another dimension.

Alan, do I have to wait until I finish the current SGOTM to install this?

You should either wait, or do as I have done and create a copy of your Civ4 application folder and upgrade that. Keep the old one until you have finished existing Locked Assets games like SGOTM 5 that need it, then you can trash it.

When you run the updater it asks which copy of Civ4 you want to update.

@gatekeeper - what mac are you playing on? I'm on a macBook intel core2duo (1GBram), and I'm reluctant to patch up to 1.74 - things are working fine for me now, even in some pbems where the pc guys are patched!

If it's not broken, why fix it, right?

Peter:

I'm using a first-generation Intel iMac with 2G RAM and 256MB video card. Aside from the occasional "black ice" and rare music stutter (OK, more like screech) now and then, I haven't really noticed much go wrong with my copy of Civ IV.

If you've had problems with updates in the past, though, I understand totally why you might be a bit leery now. I know I would be.

Gatekeeper

Hi Everybody,

I just downloaded the patch from the Aspyer web site, but have trouble installing it. Any help? Thank you.

Cheers,

Wolf

The downloaded file is a .zip file. It should expand, either manually or automatically to create a .dmg file. That should mount, either manually or automatically to create a disk image in Finder. You should then double click the installer that it contains, and follow the on-screen instructions.

If any of the above steps is not working, please tell us where it's failing, and how?

Hi Everybody,

Thank you for the help so far. As said, I downloaded the patch through the game's update function. I now have a folder called Civilization IV in Documents. (I have a MacBook, so I play with DVD disc) BTW -- can I change that? Thank you.

Cheers,

Wolf

Hi Everybody,

I just downloaded the patch off this site and the installation went as smooth as butter. Thank you again.

Cheers,

Wolf

Ahah! Sorry, I should have said. The in-game patch facility downloads the Windows update, not the Mac one. Do NOT try to update using the in-game option.

Alan, any ETA on a new version of the HOF mod?

I need to create a new vanilla version in time for the next GOTM, which starts in just over a week. That GOTM file will be locked to the new version.

However, if you want to use the HoF Mod in your own non-locked games, simply for its facilities, the current one should run with version 1.74, I believe.

Are you telling me that the mac version in-game updater downloads the PC patch?

If I'm understanding you correctly, I'm inclined to believe Aspyr is actually their best effort at spelling "aspire." They are completely inept.

Top Bottom