SGOTM 06 - Maintenance Thread

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter

SGOTM 6 - Gyathaar's Mystery Game

Welcome to the C-IV SGOTM 04 Maintenance thread. The purpose of this thread is to give you somewhere to post about non-spoiler issues relating to the game. It is a way of communicating to the rest of the players outside your team, and with the staff about matters that affect your team or everyone. You can post about bugs, rule clarifications, problems with the roster etc. Please subscribe to it so that you are kept up to date with new information as the game proceeds.

Team Lists are provided in the second post in this thread.

The Game

Gyathaar is playing this one close to his chest. Here's all the intelligence I've been able to wring out of him:

• Prince difficulty
  • Epic speed
  • You play as the Charismatic, Protective Churchill of the English Empire.
  • You start with Fishing and Mining.
  • Your unique unit is the Redcoat, replacing the Rifleman.
  • Your Unique building is the Stock Exchange, replacing the Bank.
  • The map is a highly modified Cylindrical Big And Small map, using the BtS map script. It is Standard, Temperate, Medium sea level.
  • Always war. All VCs are enabled. I think the barbs are at default setting.
Here's the start - click the picture for one a bit bigger.

Versions
This game will be played in Warlords Version 2.13, on Windows only, with the DLLs as installed with BtS.

It will be played using the current version of the HoF Mod. This is version 2.13.002 for Windows. You will need to ensure that you can run the Asset Checker v2 before you attempt to load this game. Typlically, players who have upgraded to Beyond the Sword will have the right assets. Alternatively, you should be able to make your installation compliant by installing the new .DLLs released for WOTM 15. If you have a Steam installation then you will need to look at this post by ArcadicGamer for inspiration.

If later versions of Warlords or the HoF Mod are released they cannot be used for this game, and you will need to maintain a copy of your installed software at these versions to complete the game.

Timetable
The game will start on December 14th, at midnight local server time. I recommend you plan for a 4 month deadline for completion.

You will find your starting files in the Progress and Results listing. This will also provide the link for your team's latest save at each stage of the game.

Notes
  • Please visit the Civ4 SGOTM reference thread to check out the rules and procedures to ensure that you are adequately prepared for this game.
  • Warlords v.2.13 is supported for this SGOTM. No other versions can be used, and you will have to stick with the same version throughout the game.
  • Teams will compete for up to four awards - the Gold, Silver and Bronze Laurels for the fastest finishes, and the Wooden Spoons for the lowest scoring finisher. The number of awards may be reduced, depending on the number of teams who sign up.
  • Awards will be given to teams who win in the least turns.
  • All saved game files uploaded to the server are parsed through software that extracts and archives data about your save, including reload count for each turn set.
  • Spoiler information will absolutely NOT be tolerated in this thread.

Enjoy your mystery tour of the World of Warlords.

The Gypsy Kings are ready, or at least willing to give it a go!;)

Moderator Action: Please don't spam this thread.

I need players to take notice when it gets new material, but spamming it will reduce the chances that they will bother to check it, and increase the chances that they will unsubscribe from it.

This time i begin to bother BEFORE the game actually begins!

be worried!

usually the number of rivals is given... i can't see it in the game specifications.

Is a secret?
Am i blind?
It has to be set?

I did try to make it clear that Gyathaar didn't divulge a lot of information about this game:

Gyathaar is playing this one close to his chest. Here's all the intelligence I've been able to wring out of him

However, as a bonus for those who subscribe to, and take the trouble to read, this thread, I can tell you that you have six rivals.

Thanks Alan, very kind, as usual.

So normal settings for the rivals, too.

I'm curious to see what the Evil Viking invented this time.
or perhaps he feels the Xmas and he's a bit less evil?

live and see...

Anyway, thanks to you too Gyathaar, your work is always appreciated (in terms of dedication, at least ;) )

To clarify the start time: The Progress and Results page for this game will become available in about three hours and ten minutes from the time stamp of this post.

A question about SGOTM ethics/etiquette has arisen in our team thread. Obviously the only turns that ever get run using the actual game saves are those run by our team's current player. Are there any restrictions on generating our own maps--possibly editing them with Worldbuilder--and playing practice turns on those self-generated maps to better understand game mechanics or test possible scenarios?

Given the huge amount this have been done in the past i don't think that would be the case(just read some old threads, pretty much everyone are using as closely mimicked maps as possible...

There are no restrictions on using World Builder to make practice maps.

To clarify the start time: The Progress and Results page for this game will become available in about three hours and ten minutes from the time stamp of this post.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you usually add this link:
"Start files will be available on the SGOTM Progress and Results Page..."
to the first post of this thread. I found the starting save, but I had to go to the SG4 maintenance thread to pull up the progress page.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you usually add this link:
"Start files will be available on the SGOTM Progress and Results Page..."
to the first post of this thread. I found the starting save, but I had to go to the SG4 maintenance thread to pull up the progress page.

It's also in my sig in every post I make - including the first post above. :p

... however, I will add it explicitly if you think it will help.

It's possible to turn off sigs in your Edit Options page ... Thread Display Options->Visible Post Elements->Show Signatures. If you have done this then you may be missing pearls of wisdom such as my links.

If you can see my sig, then the relevant line is:

C-IV SGOTM Links: Warlords SGOTM 6 Maintenance Thread | Progress & Results.

It includes two links. The second is the one you wanted.

How come there is just score, culture, power, list of saves and team thread posts as options to chose from? No mfg or crop yield graphs are provided for example? Or will these be provided later?

How come there is just score, culture, power, list of saves and team thread posts as options to chose from? No mfg or crop yield graphs are provided for example? Or will these be provided later?

They're only shown after everyone has finished.

Top Bottom