59 hours in, and I've already lost the will to play

30 secs to 1 min turn time after turn 300. 170 hours invested, i am tired already. I had to make / use custom maps and limit the workers just to have a decentish performance.

What bothers me a lot:

- horrible performance, turn speed and so on, on med-high end systems
- horrible diplomacy and AI behavior. Its like they were made by a 5 year old designer...

how do u arrange it so that theres a worker limit??

the patch that will fix and make everyone really comfy is more than likely a long ways away

just use mods, its how all pc games are nowadays. new game = crap, with mods = great

or wait for a patch 6-12 months down the road

Yeah we're all waiting for that patch in the sky. :lol:

Be careful in making assumptions. I agree that diplomacy sucks but I want an AI that I have to outsmart, however they are playing. It doesn't matter what they are called or what color they are, I just want them to play smarter. To me, "role-playing" doesn't equate with playing a strategy game to win a challenge. There was no "role playing" in Civ4 either, just hard opponents to beat when you are in a big hole at higher difficulty levels. That's what I want, not some pretend stuff that has little to do with playing the game.

I wasn't really referring to AI difficulty at all. I agree its good to have a challenge, and I used to play high level cIV all the time. What I hate is when they say they're going to make the AI play 'more like a human' but to me it feels more "machine-like" than ever. At least in civ IV the AI's had different playstyles and personalities - something which is pretty common amongst human opposition. Maybe "role playing" is the wrong term, but dealing with AI's in cIV was just way more interesting because your relationship/status with them just meant so much more.

158 hours in, and I was bored from like 40 onwards. I kept playing cause I couldn't believe that new Civ5 game is not awesome, I thought that it is me that's wrong, surely not a game from my beloved Firaxis?

Sadly, it is so, and I haven't played the game in more than two weeks now. Even new patch can't get me convinced to start the game, I prefer to fire up Civ4 instead.

1upt and hexes got old really fast, and beside that there's nothing interesting there. If only the AI could present a challenge, or ineed act like a ruler of a nation... Instead we've got psychotic 12year old schoolyard bullies trying to beat up an adult man :rolleyes:

Every iteration of Civ series were always bringing a feeling of innovation to me, I was like "wow!" and couldn't imagine playing without new features anymore - that's why I don't play Civ2 or Civ3 over Civ4. But I find Civ5 a step backwards, with plethora of immersive game mechanics removed (like health or diplomacy modifiers for years of peace/trading) and just... Left there. I feel big gaping holes where the fun should be.

I think I'm done with the game too. I finished an entire game and I don't really have any interest in starting another. The main thing I was interested in was multiplayer, and that's the biggest disappointment of all in this game. And thanks to Steam, I'm stuck with it.

yep same here. fired it up yesterday when the patch came out. did not notice much difference. and hence, back to BtS for me. Unfortunately this game will probably lie unplayed, like that other pos game Europe Total War with steam.

You beat me.

I was 3 hours in and literally fell asleep in my chair on the first night owning the game. Put the game down for a couple weeks, came back and murdered everything. I got to 70 hours by doing stupid things (seeing how many turn golden ages, seeing how fast I can do a dom, culture, diplo wins, basically going click click click click click click click) and the game is back on the shelf the past couple weeks.

Done hating, just upset. :D

yep same here. fired it up yesterday when the patch came out. did not notice much difference. and hence, back to BtS for me. Unfortunately this game will probably lie unplayed, like that other pos game Europe Total War with steam.

You should give Empire: Total War a second try, its been patched up and well-modded now and is pretty good.

Empire was an example of a broken, unfinished and rushed game when it was released (Civ5 wasn't nearly as bad).

True. 80 hours in and my doubts really are coming in. AI is cack, and the leaders all act the same way. "Let's declare war on so-and-so." 20 turns later: "Hey Mister bloodthirsty guy, how dare you fight a war and win"
It really isn't living up to what I expected for the 5th game in the series. Even if they had "arcade" and "experienced" settings for wanting to play a different kinds of games.

It's just half baked...sigh. What happened to trade routes? health? flavoured resources? diplomacy? realistic looking rivers? banjo solos? frontal nudity? the list goes on. I don't even think Elvis is in it either.

I don't want to rant, but I couldn't give a toss about leaders speaking in their own language zzz Wuzy calls me "good friend", Bizzy says "nein", Lizzy sounds like Queenie off Blackadder. Cosmetic crap that contributes bugger all to actual diplomacy. File under Least Exciting Feature to harp on about grrrr :mad:

A vegie player like me shouldn't get an Augustus-level Domination win on his first attempt at King. I don't think I've played much above warlord on any other Civ iteration. I make not pretension to being a good civ player.

I've played 11 hours and have quit since I beat the game on Immortal and then Deity difficulty. Pffft. Before Civ V, me = crap Civ player. Now I can beat it at it's most difficult level? This game needs almost too much work on it by Firaxis to keep it fun. Scrap it and start work on Civilization VI which will be based on octagon tiles :lol:

Sorry Firaxis, but back to the drawing board for Civ VI. Five is a lot to be desired. Your AI for hexes sucks. There isn't enough in this game to keep me interested and your promise (actually, sorry, this was T2 Interactive) of tons of DLC isn't warranted at any price considering the woefulness of the AI with the vanilla build imo. Maybe an expansion or two or a number of patches will fix this mess.

For the newcomers to the Civ series, this might be a great game. But for me who has played Civilization since the beginning, I find this game almost insulting in a way. I don't like how society bows down to the lowest common denominator and I certainly don't like it when well-respected franchises are brought down to the same level.

Edit: Just checked Steam - Played Civilization V for a total of 11 hours.

"59 hours in, and I've already lost the will to play "
-I think you deserve a medal for playing that long, bedause this game is so boring that it hurts.
I have seen BSoD that where more interesting than Civ5. :(

baleur's post on the first page absolutely nails how i felt about this game before i uninstalled it.

It's sad for me to say this but i too am finished with Civ 5, one month after release i've finally managed to put my finger on exactly why the diplomacy is so awful, which is the major game breaker for me, my guess now is also that it will not change, and there is a simple reason why.

It's the city states! it was staring me in the face all this time and i did'nt see it till now, the reason for their very existence is to deny any meaningful relation with any other Civ, the big Civ's are boardgame players competing against you, never with you, which explains why they never see you as a long term ally, city states are there to be squabbled over and to give an illusion of diplomacy, that's why the game feels so empty.

In other words, my guess is that for the most part the diplomacy (or lack of it) is mostly working as intended, and that for me sadly means i have no more interest in the game. :sad:

Well I'm just over 100 hours now and am still playing. This time around I've not got as much of the instant love as I had with previous Civ games. After a few full games at first, I'm now just playing games for a little while then quitting midway. Maybe it'll grow on me? Or maybe it'll be patched to be a bit more as I like. It's strange because I really anticipated the launch and expected to be playing it all the time and I'm just not. :s

The sad thing is, you wander your palace, desperad to do something.
Unfortunatly every door exept that of your military advisor seems to be closed with the notion
"I will do this for you, yours advisor xyz" So you wander back to your office, waiting for the military advisor to call you.
But most of the time you wonder, why the job as the leader of a nation has become that of a mere bystander. I AM AN UNEMPLOYED LEADER...give me something to do! (I fear it will be to wait for an expansion)

After a couple BtS games again.....it's all about pacing. There's SO much to do in BtS I feel like I can't fit it all into one turn. Civ5 on the other hand...well.....not so much.

A similar story...

30 years ago I had a few friends who were radio hams. They raved about how good "radio rallies" were - meeting people and go round the trade stands. As an engineer myself, I decided to go along. After 20-40 minutes, I'd managed to go round the whole thing. Wondering why nothing had piqued my interest and why I didn't seem to feeling that vibrant enthusiasm the others had, I spent another 20 minutes trying to find something to like. I even ventured a third time before returning home perplexed. And in case it was an unlucky example, I even went to a second rally - with identical results.

Seem familiar?

By contrast, someone gave me an old but revamped beast of a PC yesterday. They'd put Civ2 on it as a test, and I quite happily spent 8-10 hours playing that without getting bored for a moment. It looked so crude after playing Civ5, but "one more turn" came back immediately and I was engrossed.

So what's the lesson? Different things appeal to different people? Only people with certain likes and dislikes will respond to a thread with this title? Even numbers work better than odd numbers? Will we recant of our ennui after a truly awesome mod puts things right? Who knows? Time will tell - if we're stilling willing to try by then.

Back
Top Bottom