The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread ΛΕ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takhisis

¡Patria y vida!
Previous thread: The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread ΛΔ

Continuing from that thread:

I've totally been in your situation before, when I needed a job while I was waiting for something else, and I found it was okay doing something I knew wouldn't have any other opportunities or something. I felt tided over like you say, but I feel I also learned some things, and even when it's miserable it's nice knowing it's not forever, right? If you decide to do that, I hope everything works out for you, and congratulations on earning your degree. :)
As I said…
Well… there's always freelanceTak on LinkedIn.
The problem of being a professional translator is that, given that a lot of people already prefer free (yet very pathetic) online translation tools, if (or at this point, I should say when) those online translation tools then my job simpyl will not exist.

So I'm looking at my degree's primary target occupation becoming obsolete in, say, 15 years at the most. Which is far, far less than current life expectancy dictates I will have to work in order to earn retirement pay.
And as I also said…
Takhisis said:

--------
Why would you store edibles on your butt to begin with?
Isn't that where they end up anyway?

As I said…

The problem of being a professional translator is that, given that a lot of people already prefer free (yet very pathetic) online translation tools, if (or at this point, I should say when) those online translation tools then my job simpyl will not exist.

So I'm looking at my degree's primary target occupation becoming obsolete in, say, 15 years at the most. Which is far, far less than current life expectancy dictates I will have to work in order to earn retirement pay.

Post on /r/forhire, join freelance sites (like PeoplePerHour and Upwork).

Work on a small website: it should display who you are, what your experience is, what your qualifications are, your rates, and a contact page. This will greatly decrease the amount of time you spend writing up bids for jobs.

Business cards: if you make some, mail them elsewhere. You can hire people to distribute them in public areas. e.g. if you translate English to Spanish and Spanish to English, you can have them distributed in areas which are heavily bilingual.

Volunteer: if there are non-profits you know of that could do with translation work, offer your services in exchange for a letter of reference and title cred.

I don't really think you have much to worry about re: automation. Transcreation will be a thing for decades to come.

Accurate translation is an art: electronic versions are frequently anathema to anyone who actually speaks the language in question.

Accurate translation is an art: electronic versions are frequently anathema to anyone who actually speaks the language in question.
I recently translated something in Irish that I wanted to say but couldn't remember how and I used an online translator.

I recall that you laughed at me quite heartily. :p

I recently translated something in Irish that I wanted to say but couldn't remember how and I used an online translator.

I recall that you laughed at me quite heartily. :p

How do you not know how to say something in Irish? :mischief:

I don't understand people who store anything in their back pockets.

Anything. You're going to sit on it. If you're in a more criminal area, you have to worry about pickpockets. Front pockets have none of these issues, really no drawbacks whatsoever? Why would you not use them? The only concession I will grant this topic is if your front pockets are, inexplicably, full, yet you need to store more items on your person.

The better question is how does anyone remember how to spell something in Irish! :p

Anything. You're going to sit on it. If you're in a more criminal area, you have to worry about pickpockets. Front pockets have none of these issues, really no drawbacks whatsoever? Why would you not use them? The only concession I will grant this topic is if your front pockets are, inexplicably, full, yet you need to store more items on your person.

My back pockets are high enough up that I don't sit on them. Some front pockets are not deep enough, so that objects in my pockets are caught in the bend between leg and body, stabbing me. I carry a lot of stuff in my pockets (for example, I have a family full of allergy sufferers, and no one else carries tissues or cough drops) and I need more space. Plus, I'm not worried about pickpockets, both because of where I live and work and because I don't carry a phone and have little of real value in my wallet - rarely more than $20, plus coupons for random junk. While I'd have to replace a single credit card, a drivers' license, and my work ID, none of that would be very painful.

Does cooking something alter it's chemistry? Like say, a banana? I'm trying to solve the mystery of why eating a raw banana will make me violently ill, but a cooked banana will not.

Does cooking something alter it's chemistry? Like say, a banana? I'm trying to solve the mystery of why eating a raw banana will make me violently ill, but a cooked banana will not.

The more raw a normal banana, the more greenish and less yellow with brown dots... the more fibre it has.
Too much fibre can upset your intestines if you are not that used to eating much fibre.
So... you can wait until ripe, or bake it like pisang goreng, the traditional Indonesian side dish.
There is also a special kind of bananas, that I know from the Surinam (Latin America) kitchen, the bakbanaan or plantain, that is only eaten baked.

Yes. That's about as helpful I'm going to be, though. @Hrothbern?

Yes
And there are many things that change during cooking. And molecular cooking, I have two books on it, are describing such basic secrets of the cook :)
The basic purpose is ofc to make food more digestible, but a real cook knows how to increase taste with cooking.
Much of that was also developed in industrial food processing made accessible for our home kitchens.
The so called Maillard reaction, browning of meat, bread, etc is one of the broadly used mechanisms: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction
Also making sure that meat is through and through some time at 50-65 C, which gelatinises the collagen, generating a more tender and nice texture, is an important one.
But there are many more.

Post on /r/forhire, join freelance sites (like PeoplePerHour and Upwork).

Work on a small website: it should display who you are, what your experience is, what your qualifications are, your rates, and a contact page. This will greatly decrease the amount of time you spend writing up bids for jobs.

Business cards: if you make some, mail them elsewhere. You can hire people to distribute them in public areas. e.g. if you translate English to Spanish and Spanish to English, you can have them distributed in areas which are heavily bilingual.

Volunteer: if there are non-profits you know of that could do with translation work, offer your services in exchange for a letter of reference and title cred.

I don't really think you have much to worry about re: automation. Transcreation will be a thing for decades to come.
Yeah, well, this Sunday I'll have to devote the afternoon to creating a decent CV for onlineemployment sites and so on and then I'll have to sit on my smother's sofa watching Pinky and the Brain. >_<

Actually, first I'll have to fix whatever makes a noise at random (it's one of the cooling fans) and then I'll get onto the CV thing. :cringe:
I know that, since it took me (who was already bilingual) years to get through it in university.
But this is the land of the cheap and the lazy. From my teaching activities I've already learned that language skills are completely underappreciated not just here but also across vast sectors of the world's population. So a moderately good translation will simply undercut us.
The same way as you don't know how to say something in Irish?
The better question is how does anyone remember how to spell something in Irish! :p
The Irish spell their Gaelic wrong.

Left rear pocket = comb

Right rear pocket = temp cash. That is, I live in a cash society, P100 = $2, and so we have a lot of currency to deal with. While out on a shopping trip, I may send someone out to buy something for me [or themselves]. They come back with change. I don't want to take time to organize it, so I'll cram it in my back pocket until I get home.

Anyone know how I can get a temporary cell phone that works in Canada that I don't have to make a monthly commitment to?

Buy a pay-as-you-go SIM and put it in a phone you already own?

Anyone know how I can get a temporary cell phone that works in Canada that I don't have to make a monthly commitment to?

Chances are you can just swap out your phone's SIM with a SIM from Canada and then purchase a reload card for service.

Unless your phone uses a different frequency than what they use here.

If just a new SIM won't work, can't you get a disposable cellphone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom