8 cities minimum?

griffonlianne

Chieftain
Not that I have a problem with building 8 cities, but for a game that says that they've eliminated the cities to saturation issue (i.e. you can still "win" the game with a few powerful well developped cities), how do you build the globe theatre wonder? oxford university wonder? hanging garden wonder? if you only have 6 or 7 cities you're hooped!

A suggestion would be to make it a % of your total numer of cities at the point you choose to build the wonder (maybe 75% or something). so if you have 6 cities, you would need 4 cities for those wonders.

just my thoughts

AFAIK, hanging gardens has no minimum city req., and the national wonders that do its usually only 6 cities w/specific buildings in them (except the forbidden palace with requires 8).

IMHO, a nice core of even 4-5 cities is quite fine, and none of the national wonders is powerful enough to make me expand to 6 JUST to get them (with the possible exception of the Ironworks), or to necessitate lowering the requirements based on the # of cities. Theyre nice if I happen to have 6+ cities at the time, but no biggie. Keep in mind, I tend to be a peaceful builder, warmonger types may disagree.

in civ3 it depends on the map size how many cities you need for such wonders. i guess civ4 is the same

well if you play One City Challenge OCC, you need only ONE city requirement for the Wonder. i.e one hospital instead of 6 for Red Cross. One university instead of 6 for Oxford. Of course in OCC, the game is really hard, even on noble.

griffonlianne said:
A suggestion would be to make it a % of your total numer of cities at the point you choose to build the wonder (maybe 75% or something). so if you have 6 cities, you would need 4 cities for those wonders.

Umm... Wouldn't that equal to "no min city requirement at all", since you'd always have enough cities...

in OCC are you still limited for national wonders?

8 is the number of cities you need on a Huge map, btw.

I play on a Huge with 18 civs and actually founding 8 cities is nearly impossible. I did it in my last Prince game, and of course, the over expansion crippled me in tech and I was an also-ran the rest of the game. My most recent game, I gave up the "must reach 8 cities" mindset and was doing much better. In fact, I picked up a few extra cities to reach 8 through war...of course, then the wars got out of hand.

Geez, this game has got to be the hardest Civ yet. There's just no single formula to win, you're constantly having to adjust...damn, I love it!

Top Bottom