A challenger appears!

Rashiminos

Fool Prophet
In comes another denomination to shake things up. (Sorry, we don't mean you Christchurch, apologies...)

Statement of Principles

The primitive concepts woven together into the core of the Fellowship’s world view can be expressed in short form in the words of Kurt Gödel, who wrote:

1. The world is rational.
2. Human reason can, in principle, be developed more highly (through certain techniques).
3. There are systematic methods for the solution of all problems (also art, etc.).
4. There are other worlds and rational beings of a different and higher kind.
5. The world in which we live is not the only one in which we shall live or have lived.
6. There is incomparably more knowable a priori than is currently known.
7. The development of human thought since the Renaissance is thoroughly intelligible (durchaus einsichtige).
8. Reason in mankind will be developed in every direction.
9. Formal rights comprise a real science.
10. Materialism is false.
11. The higher beings are connected to the others by analogy, not by composition.
12. Concepts have an objective existence.
13. There is a scientific (exact) philosophy and theology, which deals with concepts of the highest abstractness; and this is also most highly fruitful for science.
14. Religions are, for the most part, bad but religion is not.

http://paleochristianity.org/

Spoiler :

Is the world ready for another dose of that good 'ol Christianity?

In comes another denomination to shake things up. (Sorry, we don't mean you Christchurch, apologies...)

http://paleochristianity.org/

Spoiler :

Is the world ready for another dose of that good 'ol Christianity?

... yea, my BS alarm is sounding. Sounds like some newage fluff crammed together with the ramblings of a failed Continental philosopher.

Yeah. I agree. Sounds like a Continental philosopher combined with naivete.

It seems like an assortment of beliefs, some of which I agree with and some of which I do not. I do not see the need to have an organization structured around these principles.

Also, I don't see much evidence that this more then what one guy says. One guy's opinion isn't much of a challenge.

Is there anything you find particularly attractive about it, Rashiminos?

It seems like an assortment of beliefs, some of which I agree with and some of which I do not. I do not see the need to have an organization structured around these principles.

Also, I don't see much evidence that this more then what one guy says. One guy's opinion isn't much of a challenge.

Is there anything you find particularly attractive about it, Rashiminos?

Not really. I just think the idea of another child of Christianity running around is particularly amusing.

Spoiler :
That might make for an interesting pro-choice or anti-abortion debate...

Also the whole cards of membership for new converts.

You'd be able to say "card-carrying PaleoChristian" with a straight face (or a :lol:).

I can't make much sense of the site and what they stand for. Why paleochristianity ? What's Christian about them ?
Are new age hippies now moving away from superficial orientalism towards badly understood western religion and philosophy ?

Is it only me who thinks that if you can't say something simply, you either don't understand it or hope that your listener won't?

Is it only me who thinks that if you can't say something simply, you either don't understand it or hope that your listener won't?

No, but you and those people are wrong.

There are such things as complex topics. I would tend to think that's why we have universities. If everything were so simple, it would be easy to teach people as they need it instead of spending 4 or more years trying to cram a subject into a person's brain.

I can't make much sense of the site and what they stand for. Why paleochristianity ? What's Christian about them ?
Are new age hippies now moving away from superficial orientalism towards badly understood western religion and philosophy ?

Apparently there's a longer document you can read that's found on the page with their statement of principles. From what I gather, the Christian part is some claim to be following some teachings of Christ (some of them not having been endorsed by the established denominations for some reason).

There are such things as complex topics. I would tend to think that's why we have universities. If everything were so simple, it would be easy to teach people as they need it instead of spending 4 or more years trying to cram a subject into a person's brain.

True, but you should be able to explain basic ideas in ways that people with a decent grounding in the subject can understand, rather than, as the OP would:

11. The higher beings are connected to the others by analogy, not by composition.

I cannot be the only one without the slightest idea what that means, nor the only one wondering why it had to be written in that way.

I cannot be the only one without the slightest idea what that means, nor the only one wondering why it had to be written in that way.

You could try asking them or something.

What the hell does this even mean?

"Cheeses are for the most part bad, but cheese is not.

Okay there
They might be trying to make special allowances.;)

I take that to mean they don't really believe in evolution merely because humans have so much in common with other mammals.

But that's quite minor compared to some of their other theories, as expounded by one of their major proponents who just so happens to be a local resident:

http://www.sptimes.com/News/webspecials/exorcist/exorcist1-2.html

Think of it as a love story like no other. What you are about to read can be described, without exaggeration, as an intragalactic, interstellar tale of reincarnated passion. A cosmic romance, unfolding during the dusk of one age and the dawn of another. All of it taking place between real people. All set in Pasco County. The basics: Boy meets girl. Girl is not like other girls. Girl has unusual abilities and interests -- this is putting it mildly -- but opts for a conventional life, at least on the surface. Girl marries boy, raises family, endeavors to be normal. Many years down the line, after multiple experiences purportedly involving demonic possession, lights in the sky and other phenomena not explained by science, girl abandons whole normal thing. Girl decides that boy is wrong, all wrong, and that the forces of darkness have possibly replaced him with a copy of the original husband. Girl divorces boy/dark copy of boy, descends into depression, seeks solace in her career, which happens to be battling evil and channeling communications from what she believes to be a bevy of aliens. Alleged aliens, who apparently know a thing or two about the hell of modern romance, take pity on girl and set her up on a blind date with . . .

Wait. We're getting ahead of ourselves.

I take that to mean they don't really believe in evolution merely because humans have so much in common with other mammals.

If you don't mind, Form, I will advance the fact that it is open to a number of interpretations as evidence that it's a bad principle.

Well, I did fail to mention how extraterrestrial visitors and exorcism apparently enter into the process...

Top Bottom