A direct case for Cataphract as strongest UU

The UU that the cataphract is the closest to is the vanilla Cossack (+3 power Calavry) that being the case, wouldn't it qualify the cataphract as the strongest UU? I don't think that the extra long-bow first strikes would matter much against the increased power unless the longbowman was at the city defender 2 or 3 level or on a hill.

The UU that the cataphract is the closest to is the vanilla Cossack (+3 power Calavry) that being the case, wouldn't it qualify the cataphract as the strongest UU? I don't think that the extra long-bow first strikes would matter much against the increased power unless the longbowman was at the city defender 2 or 3 level or on a hill.

I'm skeptical that it is any nastier, or even as nasty, as the Legion.(oh sorry, I meant Praetorian:mischief:) It is sick, as was the cossack, but I think the Romans still got it.:goodjob:

They're very powerful. I played as the Byzantines my first few games, and they decisively won me quite a few wars.

I was originally voting for the HRE UU, but I started playing Justinian last night. Sharing a large continent with only the Babylonians, I decided to hold off on war. By the time the continent was filled, the Cataphracts were ready and able to take down longbows in the city fairly easily. C2 Cataphracts out of the gate (14.4) work against longbows in a city, elephants, or even open-field pikemen.

Of right, I should have said 'strongest new UU' I think the praets are still stonger due to their ability to get City Raider and the fact that they come out much eariler.

No question,cataphracts are indeed powerful. 2 extra strength is very powerful, especially if you beeline to it, with some luck you can charge across the borders with catapracts and face only Archers in enemy cities. And with stables and barracks you can get strength I and +25% vs mellee, meaning you can beat even Pikeman...

They also have a really long lifespan, they don't really get endangered until Cavalry. Plus with the great generals you can get loads of instructors, and some military academies.

Definately my favourite UU so far.... Shame they don't come in a bit earlier, if they were a Horse Archer replacement with strength 8 they might kick Preatorian ass.

Definately my favourite UU so far.... Shame they don't come in a bit earlier, if they were a Horse Archer replacement with strength 8 they might kick Preatorian ass.

I wouldnt like them to replace Horse Archers. It's horrible to beeline to Horseback riding.

Sure, maybe on Settler. :D

Actually I did charge across the borders with cataphracts, to only face enemy archers in my opponents cities :D.

Hehe, I told you guys the cataphracts would own everything, even with no first strike:)

I'm playing with them now. Or rather, I would very much like to, but I'm on a continent with Augustus, and he's got all the iron. :(

i deno, can they do very well in MP? considering a good player will just use spears... or, if they teched right, have gunpowder OR pikes by then?

Now, you might say +25% melee will kill them, not true. Remember, if they have a barracks, they will have +25% against cavalry, if your using lots f cav. ONTOP of that, they cost 60h to your 90h.. (this being pikes, spears only cost 35) so they can have 3 to your 2... ^_^

Also, crispy, how can ya say HRE might have the best? I dont like them much.. honestly.. it comes too late to be worth while, imo. Gets outdated WAY too fast.

i deno, can they do very well in MP? considering a good player will just use spears... or, if they teched right, have gunpowder OR pikes by then?

They come a bit late for MP, yes. I mean, you shouldn't be able to tech them good in MP. What matters in MP are early units + siege.
But they are good against the AI. If you manage to somehow get them in MP they are gonna beat the crap out of everything. No pikes no nothing.

Top Bottom