A thought on oceans and crowded waterways

ilshur

Warlord
This is just a suggestion, but after playing through a variety of 'longer' games (marathon, 15-20 ai), i think i can speak with some degree of experience.

Narrow gaps between large landmasses get really crowded. Im not talking single tile 'straits' like historical bosforus or malakka or the english channel, but 3-5 tile area's. Given the scale of the maps, these areas should be significantly free to trade.

Ocean tiles (not coast, but ocean), are useful for moneymaking late-game because of their increased yield with seaport, lighthouse, and especially so with maoi's and colossus, but in general, they are a cash cow, even for a major land-power.

Access to the ocean, generally speaking, should have tremendous value. Both historically and in nominal terms of the current games iteration, the Ocean is a route for expansion, opens up the potential to create naval units, and ofcourse is good money. Furthermore, a variety of structures can only be built along the coast.

What i'd propose is this:

- Somehow, eliminate cultural expansion to Ocean Tiles for everyone. This would allow for more 'free seas' space for the discuss of seapower.

- Coast tiles would still be ownable, and since the quantity of overall sea tiles would be reduced, coast's stats should be increased. Move from 1 food/2 gold to 3 food/3 gold for all coast, with the obvious increases from lighthouse, seaport, and all other units preserved. This is a rough balancing, obviously.

Its just something to consider. Because the alternate is having the 4 or 5 ocean tile radius around every capitol all taken by the medieval era, which can squeeze out a lot of oceanroutes in a fashion that isn't all that useful or fair.

This is just a suggestion, but after playing through a variety of 'longer' games (marathon, 15-20 ai), i think i can speak with some degree of experience.

Narrow gaps between large landmasses get really crowded. Im not talking single tile 'straits' like historical bosforus or malakka or the english channel, but 3-5 tile area's. Given the scale of the maps, these areas should be significantly free to trade.

Ocean tiles (not coast, but ocean), are useful for moneymaking late-game because of their increased yield with seaport, lighthouse, and especially so with maoi's and colossus, but in general, they are a cash cow, even for a major land-power.

Access to the ocean, generally speaking, should have tremendous value. Both historically and in nominal terms of the current games iteration, the Ocean is a route for expansion, opens up the potential to create naval units, and ofcourse is good money. Furthermore, a variety of structures can only be built along the coast.

What i'd propose is this:

- Somehow, eliminate cultural expansion to Ocean Tiles for everyone. This would allow for more 'free seas' space for the discuss of seapower.

- Coast tiles would still be ownable, and since the quantity of overall sea tiles would be reduced, coast's stats should be increased. Move from 1 food/2 gold to 3 food/3 gold for all coast, with the obvious increases from lighthouse, seaport, and all other units preserved. This is a rough balancing, obviously.

Its just something to consider. Because the alternate is having the 4 or 5 ocean tile radius around every capitol all taken by the medieval era, which can squeeze out a lot of oceanroutes in a fashion that isn't all that useful or fair.

I think I am beginning to agree with you.

And/or those cultural expansion "enhancements" in the policy tree should be toned down 'cause the problem is that there is no reason to have an open borders, [tho I've found some maps and if the game goes a certain way that open borders aren't harmful to you (having AI scope you out).]

If with DLL access something could be done like in civ 4 where you got a gold commerce trading bonus then the AI wouldn't only want to get access in order to plan future invasions.

PS -- but/and of course would the AI understand this?

Top Bottom