A way to use old map sizes?

Not slowdowns, MAFs.
I don't think it's gonna be THAT slow in my games no matter what.
But MAFs depend on something entirely different, which "accumulates", so I wanted to be a bit more sure about what causes it.
Anyways, THANKS everyone.

A couple of things I have found over the years to slow down MAFs (memory allocation failures).
1. Save often and then after a hour of play save then exit game. Clears the storing of data and lets the game just hold the last data points. Return to game or take a 5 minute break to go to the bathroom.
2. In C:\Users\"user name"\AppData\Local\My Games\Beyond the Sword\cache, delete all files saved to this cache folder periodically as well. This is the win 10 64 path to this cache folder.

Now I don't play Gigantic maps anymore but, even when I did, doing these steps virtually eliminated any MAF I may have had. I have not had a MAF for years now. And my video card is only a 2GB DDR 5 card. Years ago many MAFs were directly related to graphic problems. Sparth, Toffer90, and several others worked hard on reducing our graphic "footprint" for C2C.

It is also why in A_New_Dawn_GlobalDefines.xml we have the following:
Lines 269 thru 278
<!-- Use the following to determine what building art is displayed on cities.
It is a bitmask of flags which may be added together:
1 = Wonders
2 = City defences
128 = Other
We default to all of them (1+2+128 = 131)
-->
<DefineName>SHOW_BUILDINGS_LEVEL</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>131</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>

Change according to your needs.

Also besides Graphic Paging as default we also have Viewports that can be activated along with the Graphic paging in BUG. Default values for View ports are 40 , 40. If problems still exist lower the values (make the area of focus smaller.

Again by not playing on Gigantic maps any more I have not had to adjust any of these.

Maybe this info will help. Then again maybe not. But here it is.

A couple of things I have found over the years to slow down MAFs (memory allocation failures).
1. Save often and then after a hour of play save then exit game. Clears the storing of data and lets the game just hold the last data points. Return to game or take a 5 minute break to go to the bathroom.
2. In C:\Users\"user name"\AppData\Local\My Games\Beyond the Sword\cache, delete all files saved to this cache folder periodically as well. This is the win 10 64 path to this cache folder.

Now I don't play Gigantic maps anymore but, even when I did, doing these steps virtually eliminated any MAF I may have had. I have not had a MAF for years now. And my video card is only a 2GB DDR 5 card. Years ago many MAFs were directly related to graphic problems. Sparth, Toffer90, and several others worked hard on reducing our graphic "footprint" for C2C.

It is also why in A_New_Dawn_GlobalDefines.xml we have the following:
Lines 269 thru 278
<!-- Use the following to determine what building art is displayed on cities.
It is a bitmask of flags which may be added together:
1 = Wonders
2 = City defences
128 = Other
We default to all of them (1+2+128 = 131)
-->
<DefineName>SHOW_BUILDINGS_LEVEL</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>131</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>

Change according to your needs.

Also besides Graphic Paging as default we also have Viewports that can be activated along with the Graphic paging in BUG. Default values for View ports are 40 , 40. If problems still exist lower the values (make the area of focus smaller.

Again by not playing on Gigantic maps any more I have not had to adjust any of these.

Maybe this info will help. Then again maybe not. But here it is.
Well, thanks again.
The fun fact is that I had several confusing MAFs at creation_map_start_up, instead of during the actual game play.
I then learned to:
1. Better turn Opera OFF while playing, the sucker DEVOURS memory like a ravenous Godzilla.
2. Start Civ, go to Task Manager, wait 2 seconds for CPU to drop from 100% to whatever, proceed to play without any problems.
Works like a charm.
And I don't think I've had many MAFs during game play either, I'm just asking because I keep seeing people SCARED of it "in later game play eras".
Dunno, but I definitely was able to reach as far as Sea Tunnels without getting any MAFs whatsoever.
Of course, by that time there was a small handful of other civs still alive, and I kept the city/unit count to a minimum.
Which is why I asked whether the map size itself is an issue or not really.
Anyways, I'm now playing a Single Civ Game, no Barbs (just to lessen the unit count), and so far just one city (I'm still before Tribalism, loool).
I also WB'ed myself all the Active Cultures as a replacement for the usual culture hunt I do all over the world.
Might make the game even more exciting for me, lol - less warring, more building.
So we'll see, we'll see.

Top Bottom