Acularius' GEM for Caveman2Cosmos

Custom Civs for GEM

For those who want to continue playing GEM with Custom Civs. here they are. :D

Installation Instructions for a new game.:

1.Download and extract the map into the "Private Maps" folder of the C2C mod.

i.e. ...\Firaxis Games\Civ4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos\Private Maps

2. Copy the original folder "Custom_Civilizations" (found in Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\Modules) to another folder. I use the "Firaxis Games" folder.

3. Copy my version of "Custom_Civilizations" in to the folder Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\Modules - overwriting (adding to) the original.

4, Delete the cache.

5.Load up C2C and initially select the "Custom Scenario" option to choose your gameplay settings. From then on use "Load Game" as normal.

For existing games just follow steps 2 to 4 and load.

It should work - but I can not test it. Talin2009, can you do that for me. :)

Note: The SVN version does not use Custom Civs. Just replacement Civs.

If you haven't downloaded it yet, Redwallzyl's current map is on page 37 post 739.

Downloaded everything, followed instructions, started new game, haven's got You are defeated screen upon start, - i consider that as a good sign =)

Gonna test game and write here if i will find anything wrong.

Thank you very much guys for your work!

Game progresses. Researching Construction atm. Everything works fine. I think it should be included in SVN.

One minor notice - Scythian cities are named Mongolian alike and when attacked by them you get message like: "Mongolian Horseman has withdrawn " etc.

Btw, Scythians lived in Ukraine/Crimea region and they were no way Asian (as their Native culture is atm). It should be European or Middle Eastern, no way Asian.

Game progresses. Researching Construction atm. Everything works fine. I think it should be included in SVN.

One minor notice - Scythian cities are named Mongolian alike and when attacked by them you get message like: "Mongolian Horseman has withdrawn " etc.

Btw, Scythians lived in Ukraine/Crimea region and they were no way Asian (as their Native culture is atm). It should be European or Middle Eastern, no way Asian.

The custom civs version will not be included in the SVN, as it overwrites standard files/folders. I just added back the Civ folders and files that were removed. I did not alter the map file.

As for the Scythians, they do use the Mongolian civ as the base civilization. As does another civ.

To get that changed you need to contact the mod makers. I can not even load the map, so can not make any other changes.

But I am glad it is working OK. :)

Now that this map has been updated to work without Custom Civs, is it back in the SVN and will it be in v35 release?

I put quite a bit of effort into updating this map to be more accurate/realistic before, and NOTHING annoys me more than the team deciding to strip out Custom Civs to "save memory" (it really turned out to save VERY LITTLE memory, but they still didn't reverse the change) and as a result breaking the original version of GEM and forcing this to be updated to work w/o Custom Civs. Plus, also making it much more complex/difficult to make further revisions to the map in the future.

It's as if the updating team doesn't understand world history at all. The major regional civs we later saw arise WERE NOT always around in their current form as dominant regional powers. China, for instance, arose from a number of warring states. The Custom Civs allowed this to be simulated. It seems as if the updating team doesn't understand their world history and thus doesn't value this, though, based on some of the comments I saw arguing for the removal of Custom Civs back when it happened (basically describing them as worthless, completely ignoring their obvious value to any Earth-based map...) :mad:

Regards,
Northstar

Now that this map has been updated to work without Custom Civs, is it back in the SVN and will it be in v35 release?

Regards,
Northstar

Yes. :D

It is now called - "Fixed GEM preset no custom civs". The custom civs have been replaced with standard civs. BUT -the Civ and leader names have been retained, however the units and city names etc. are from other standard civs.

GEM already did this with some Civs before - so it should not be a problem.

Enjoy. :)

I put quite a bit of effort into updating this map to be more accurate/realistic before, and NOTHING annoys me more than the team deciding to strip out Custom Civs to "save memory" (it really turned out to save VERY LITTLE memory, but they still didn't reverse the change) and as a result breaking the original version of GEM and forcing this to be updated to work w/o Custom Civs.

Regards,

Why not try this post, from me. (On the previous page of this thread.) Post 760.

Spoiler :

Custom Civs for GEM

For those who want to continue playing GEM with Custom Civs. here they are. :D

2. Copy the original folder "Custom_Civilizations" (found in Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\Modules) to another folder. I use the "Firaxis Games" folder.

3. Copy my version of "Custom_Civilizations" in to the folder Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\Modules - overwriting (adding to) the original.

4, Delete the cache.

5.Load up C2C and initially select the "Custom Scenario" option to choose your gameplay settings. From then on use "Load Game" as normal.

:)

Go to that post to get the Custom Civs download.

Enjoy. :cool:

I put quite a bit of effort into updating this map to be more accurate/realistic before, and NOTHING annoys me more than the team deciding to strip out Custom Civs to "save memory" (it really turned out to save VERY LITTLE memory, but they still didn't reverse the change) and as a result breaking the original version of GEM and forcing this to be updated to work w/o Custom Civs. Plus, also making it much more complex/difficult to make further revisions to the map in the future.

It's as if the updating team doesn't understand world history at all. The major regional civs we later saw arise WERE NOT always around in their current form as dominant regional powers. China, for instance, arose from a number of warring states. The Custom Civs allowed this to be simulated. It seems as if the updating team doesn't understand their world history and thus doesn't value this, though, based on some of the comments I saw arguing for the removal of Custom Civs back when it happened (basically describing them as worthless, completely ignoring their obvious value to any Earth-based map...) :mad:

Regards,
Northstar

It was the operational RAM that we were saving, not the download size. The engine is kinda in that it loads all the civs even if those civs don't go into use. So it holds a lot of information per civ that it really shouldn't need to. The change diminished the volume of MAFs that for many machines was becoming a very big problem. If it wasn't necessary we wouldn't have done it.

However, I've advised map makers to get those custom civs and bundle them into the download package for their maps. And if there are some that aren't in use then it might be good to offer the ability to remove them easily somehow from the fileset.

if someone could put together a file to re add the custom civs along with my map and spawn locations that would be great. i have no idea how to do it and now that the new updates out i would like to try it out.

I did that 2 months ago for Custom Civs. Look at post 760 on the previous page of this thread for details.

Although I could not test it - Talin2009 tried it and said it worked.

As for spawn locations, I have not even tried to alter SEM+ yet (RL time restrictions). Though time consuming (checking map co-ordinates etc.) it should not be to difficult to do, most are already nearly right.

GEM however I believe is off by about 60 degree's or so. Therefore a little more effort is needed, it requires some one who can play the map. Try comparing the old GEM one with the current version for clues as to what needs adding or changing.

Read back (search) through this thread looking for posts about spawning, for clue's.

Enjoy and have fun. :D

*copied from previous page for convenience.

For those who want to continue playing GEM with Custom Civs. here they are.

4, Delete the cache.

Note: The SVN version does not use Custom Civs. Just replacement Civs.

Attachments

• GEM Custom Civs.zip
    7.5 MB · Views: 212
they appear to have removed even more civs in the svn version so the custom civ file will have to be updated by someone.

No - they have not removed any more civs.

The SVN - and release version, uses replacement civs. So previous custom civs have been replaced by standard Civs but the names have been changed.

As I have posted before - Custom Civs will not be included in any new C2C updates, either SVN or new release versions, i.e. V35. This is because of memory problems.

Just do what I posted previously, (post 760) to use removed Civs (Custom Civs). Also remember you need to copy those files every time you update your version of C2C.

Some art files must have been changed then and the custom civs must be referencing an old file.

This might be the cause:

Next (and I hope last) part of unit cleaning project.
What I do:
- removed all unused files (27 MB, 680 files)
- sort alphabeticaly CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml
- fix some broken models/textures
- a lot other changes in CIV4UnitArtStyleTypeInfos.xml and CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml

do you know how it could be fixed?

After your last reply, I downloaded the latest version. I was previously playing a version that was over 5 weeks old. (Pre v35)

The new download gave me the same problem on SEM+, so I posted a report.

Here was the reply.

open each custom civilization CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml file and change
<UnitArtStyleType> tag to UNIT_ARTSTYLE_EUROPEAN

I have not had time yet to try it on SEM. :)

Top Bottom