Advanced Civ

Nice to see you again @Jorunkun :)

Last week I finished another game, so three games in total the last couple of months. I varied many of the smaller options over the three games. The first two games were with Random Personalities and without Tech Trading, and felt pretty much like the play-along game only having vassals enabled. The last game was mostly a "standard" game for me, as far as settings go.

Spoiler Game settings :
Game #1:
Huge Fractal Marathon.
Raging Barbarians; Random Personalities; No Tech Trading.
I got Suleiman, and won a 1894 CE Domination Victory.

Game #2 (the one in the above post #1315):
Huge PerfectMongoose Marathon.
Raging Barbarians; Random Personalities; No Tech Trading; No Tribal Villages; No Random Events; No Animals; No Slavery; Domination Victory Disabled.
I got Washington, and won a CE 1983 Diplomatic Victory. This might be the last time (and first!) I play with Domination Disabled.

Game #3:
Huge PerfectMongoose Marathon.
Raging Barbarians; No Random Events; No Animals.
Got Genghis Khan, and won a CE 1760 Domination Victory. This one went incredibly smoothly, although Tech trading certainly made things easier compared to the other two games.

If AdvCiv managed to convince you to play with Espionage, I would highly encourage you to give vassals a go next time you're able to play. Probably with Tech Trading enabled as well: It struck me how limited diplomacy was in game #1 and #2, especially with my vassals, due to Tech Trading being disabled. The vastly improved vassal mechanics, especially for the capitulated ones, are one of the highlights of AdvCiv in my opinion. And I say this as one who had them disabled more often than not before I discovered AdvCiv.

That play-along game was so much fun, we should do another one sometime!

I don't know about him, but I disable Tech Trading not because I hate diplomacy, but to keep research speed down. Otherwise when you get to the mid-game, you are getting 10+ techs for each one you research and the whole upper side of the tree goes by in a few turns.

Had a few days off and clean-installed (adv) civ. Happy days. :)

Things I noticed viz 1.08: The unit info display bug, random personalities bug and the (memory leak?) slowdown issues after a few hours of playing are all fixed. Also enjoyed seing the pop whipping limit removed. V 1.09 is very polished, thanks f1rpo!

I'm also giving vassalage a try ... thanks to SantaFlagship!

I do have a bug to report though: After I moved my capital in the mid-game, my city count for maintenance went up to 205 cities (I suspect all the cities in the world), when in fact I only had 27. Attaching a save, in case anyone want to take a look.

Lastly, a question: Does AdvCiv work with the CivIV Remaster mod here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civilization-iv-remaster.671590/?

Domo, sumimasen, vielen Dank and a bientot. :)

Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG

Attachments

• Jorunkun AD-1821.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Hey, this looks like a really great mod and I'm really excited to be able to play it. Unfortunately however, I play only multiplayer with friends and we seem to be having the same problem that @Lanstro reported earlier in this thread. In single player everything seems to be working fine, and even in multiplayer it works fine as long as we set up the game as free for all, or all players are in different teams. However, we exclusively play co-op (meaning all players in the same team against equally sized AI teams), and in this particular configuration the mod doesn't work and when loading the game it shows only a black map for all players but the first. I also tried creating a team game as hot seat and that also works, but when playing online multiplayer it breaks.

The weird thing is that the host player can actually play and see their civilization correctly, but the other players can't see their civilization and instead can only see one of the rival teams each. I'm adding a few screenshots from our tests for reference.
What non-hosts see:
Tomael (me):
1698727174824.png

1698727183752.png

Pablito:
1698727157084.png

What the host sees:
Manu:
1698727217020.png

Just as an FYI, I've been readin through the manual trying to find potential causes so we tried to set up a game while all of us disabled SPI in the xml but we still encountered the same issue, so it doesn't look to be the cause of the problem.

We are really excited to play this but sadly it's unplayable for us right now, as can be seen in the screenshots.

tomael,​

hi there,

f1rpo is probably is a bit off of moddingfor now (i hope he will come back soon).

two things:
1. latest version unreleased is 1.10 -> i have it with in my mod... but you can try and get 1.10 from the git repo of f1rpo.
then try to play 1.10 on MP and see if it works.
2. turn on all the logs when you try -> do it in the file of CivilizationiV.ini -> look for relevant logs. also under Mods/AdvCiv/assets/xml/GlobalDefines.devel.xml.
there are logs you can turn on there.

after you do that , recreate the error of the OOS.
after that copy the Beyond the Sword/Log folder and upload it here.
I promiss i will try to help how ever i can to fix this.

One more thing,
if you add the line:
....\Civilization IV Complete\Civ4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod="AdvCiv" multiple
and create a short cut for the mod with the entries of mod="AdvCiv" multiple,
you can run 2+ instances of civ4 and then, you can do lan multiplayer between them and test the issue.

cheers

Last edited:

tomael,​

hi there,

f1rpo is probably is a bit off of moddingfor now (i hope he will come back soon).

two things:
1. latest version unreleased is 1.10 -> i have it with in my mod... but you can try and get 1.10 from the git repo of f1rpo.
then try to play 1.10 on MP and see if it works.
2. turn on all the logs when you try -> do it in the file of CivilizationiV.ini -> look for relevant logs. also under Mods/AdvCiv/assets/xml/GlobalDefines.devel.xml.
there are logs you can turn on there.

after you do that , recreate the error of the OOS.
after that copy the Beyond the Sword/Log folder and upload it here.
I promiss i will try to help how ever i can to fix this.

One more thing,
if you add the line:
....\Civilization IV Complete\Civ4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod="AdvCiv" multiple
and create a short cut for the mod with the entries of mod="AdvCiv" multiple,
you can run 2+ instances of civ4 and then, you can do lan multiplayer between them and test the issue.

cheers
Thanks for the reply! I'm working now but I'll try this when I get back home. Can I also open multiple instances on Civ with the Steam version?

In the end I couldn't get the multiple command to run, but I managed to recreate the error with a friend, and another one of my friends also recreated it in parallel. I'm uploading both of our logs in case it's helpful. Thanks for your help keldath!

Attachments

• AdvCiv black map logs 11.01.zip
    42 KB · Views: 6
  • Logs_AdvCiv.zip
    53.2 KB · Views: 7
hey
cool i will review.

can you provide me with both logs -> the one from you and the one from your friend at the moment after oos?
i wanna compare the logs, try to see where they dont match.

also - please write me the game options you set on (did you play with events on?)

thre is a message on :
RESMGR: Texture FlagDECAL.dds failed to load
RESMGR: Texture PlayerColor01.tga failed to load
RESMGR: Texture PlayerColor02.tga failed to load

looks like some colors failed -> though its probably bot the cause of course.

--
looks like the removal of your friend took place on turn 227 -> do you know of some issue that pops to mind that occuered?

[1125110.875] DBG: SYNCLOG: Received EndTurn for Player 1 (NetID 1) - Checking in for Turn 228
[1125111.062] WRN: Our connection to NetID 1 was closed remotely
[1125111.062] DBG: Removing connection-level player info for NetID 1 (state=2)
[1125111.125] DBG: SYNCLOG: Got remove player message on normal turn 227
--
you played with 1 person and you friend played with 3 right?

--
ok also please wrapp your advc mod folder + the save game from just before the oos.
i wanna recreate the same exactly over my end.

---
also,
make sure these logs are on:

in civilization4.ini
; Enable the logging system
LoggingEnabled = 1

; Enable synchronization logging
SynchLog = 1

; Overwrite old network and message logs
OverwriteLogs = 1

; Enable rand event logging
RandLog = 1

; Enable message logging
MessageLog = 1

in GlobalDefines_devel.xml:
<DefineName>REPORT_INTERVAL</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>1</iDefineIntVal>
<DefineName>PER_PLAYER_MESSAGE_CONTROL_LOG</DefineName>

<DefineName>LOG_MAP_STATS</DefineName>

all of the above should cover everything.
remember,
i need both ends of the logs, your and the player with you.

--
i will work as hard as i can on this for you.

Last edited:
Thanks putting so much effor into this Keldath, I really appreciate it :)
I want to clarify a few things though.
  • The desynch is probably part of a bigger problem, but the most important part is the fact that non-host players can't even see their own civilizations and instead see a barbarian flag as their own, and can for some reason see AI civs instead.
  • The problem occurs from game start, even on turn 0, as can be seen in the screenshots above, so we cannot play even a single turn.
  • There seems to be something weird with the logs if they go as far as turn 227 since as I said, the problem occurs on turn 0. We tried advancing 1 or 2 turns in some cases to see what happened, but never more than that.
  • You are correct that one of the logs is for a 2-player game and the other for a 4-player game.
The issue should be easily reproducible since we are getting it every single time at game start. We are using fresh game installations and a fresh download of AdvCiv, so those shouldn't be a problem to reproduce. We tried with AdvCiv 1.08, 1.09 and now 1.10, and always got the same error.

As I said, the game settings are very particular as we play co-op, meaning all human players on the same team, and AI players on equally-sized teams. If we play free for all, the mod works correctly, but unfortunately that is not how we like to play. You can find a screenshot of our typical game configuration below:
20231102102800_1.jpg

(Where it says "open" you would see other human players, but I couldn't get my friends to help me at this point today).

Other than what's on screen, settings are very standard. All victory conditions are activated. Multiplayer simultaneous turns are activated and no turn timer is used.

I really think you should be able to reproduce this easily as this is happening every single time for us on turn 0, regardless of any combination of players that is used (so it isn't that one of us has a bugged version of the game), and we are all using fresh game installations as we tried re-installing everything to see if that would work.

I wil try to activate those additional logs that you mentioned and try another game with my friend later, and I'll upload those logs as well.

Thanks again for helping with this!

Quick reply,
Ill write a more proper post later.

I totally forgot to try teams.
I tested with my mod lan, with no issues.
From the desc , it really can be a bigger issue.

Try to clean the cache folder ,every player.
I wrote about how to in my mods thread , just on the top.

Ill write more later.

And, my pleasure

hi,
ok i can confirm that when the same team is used,
one player sees the vision of the 2 teams and the other sees the vision of the ai teams and doesnt see the vision of the team he belongs too.
i did lan with 2 instances on my cpu, but it did not go oos -> but i guess on direct IP or land between 2 cpu's it will go OOS.

i will go and look into the code where the teams are assign after map generated or something and compare to the original code of kmod.

Yes that's exactly what happens to us. Thanks for looking into it! I confirm that k-mod works perfectly and we've been playing that for years, so it's something from this mod that is breaking.

AHA!
i found the exact time this team issue occuered!

you wouldn't believe, it started on advciv 1.00, on the 12/09/2021 !

how do i know? cause i got all the versions since advc 99 with several versions to each of them -> every time i merged advciv to my mod i kept the current version with dates :)

i now know the exact line that causes this, the problem is that i need to figure how to fix it.

this is a link to advciv 1.00 that works : https://mega.nz/file/z6ZFXJTY#FQ5H7laBUSrKa-JWDP6FQsbR_A-GpqiOsFceUiAxRmM
can you just test and see that im right?

--
more investigation,
apperantry,
the change took place between 0.99 12/05/2021 to 1.00 at 12/09/2021.
these are a billion changes , hard to find the cause. i need f1rpo :(

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the update! Of course, I'll test the version of 1.00 that you shared. Thanks for all the help Keldath!

ok i pin pointed the bulk of commits,
f1rpo changed some definitions of the active team across many files, i am reverse engineer each file one buy one untill ill find the root.

im on it.

---
yey i got it!
i found the code that causes it.
i can fix it using the previous code before the bug was created.

ill wrap it with 1.10 code and upload here in a day or so.

Last edited:
ok,
this is a temp fix:

i checked game load.

i will do a bigger fix , since the code f1 implemented there, i cant bypass , not sure if its even possible. i think he didnt count that when a user enters the lobby, het enters with team = 2 by default.
the code he did is to save that number to spare many recalls for tat number all over.
but when the team is changed, the cache isnt -> i couldn't change this with more code).

for the fix , i changed one part that i think is ok , but for the larger fix, ill reverse the code theme that was done for this method that f1 did.

Let me know how it goes :)

Top Bottom