Advanced Settings

JohnnyFriedEggs

Chieftain
I am sure the question has been put to many of you once already. However, I would rather play some Civ rather then sift through countless threads to have my curiosity sated. That said, I ask you fine people, what Advanced settings do you alter if any? I like the raging barbs and sp saving. You?

I like the default settings most of the time. It's the most challenging way to play, if you ask me.
Although one time I did do One City Challenge as Siam. That was pretty fun.

Social Policy saving ON
Promotion saving ON
Raging barbarians ON
New random seed ON

Industrial/Future Start, Immortal or Deity (up to preference), Random Hemispheres or Small Continents, Abundant Resources

Go!

Mine are quite boring, i just do quick battles and quick movement to help my poor old computer.
In terms of ones to which I object, I think new random seed and SP saving are the easiest to abuse, followed by promotion saving if you have a unit with a weird upgrade path like mongolia, or want to abuse the anti-mounted time as lancers. Any others which people think break the game?
I sometimes play raging babas which i find fun, but try not to manipulate it too much (e.g. with aztecs etc.). OCC can also be very interesting.

I am starting to like shuffle for my map type. As a map that can only be turned on in the advanced settles, I suppose you'd count that.

I also generally like to turn new random seed on. If I get a map or start that is good for one reason or another, having new random seed is important to make another play or some early game practice viable. After all, what good is it if you know Alex is going to walk to your start location at turn 10 and denouce you on turn 13? Or you know when and what the AI is going to pick for religions?

I've always kept everything else standard.

Ancient era

Social Policy saving ON
Promotion saving ON
Complete kills ON
New random seed ON

22 Civs everytime for epic diplomacy!

Toggle everything else each game.

I never save sp. It makes me have to make one tough decision less, which makes memenjoy thegame so much!
Only thing i do is complete kills, sometimes. I dont know why, but i somehow like that idea.

Difficulty: Immortal

Map choices: Continents;Small Continents(low sea level);Large Islands(low sea level);Terra;Pangea;Fractal;Shuffle (sometimes play Europe or Inland Sea).

Speed: Standard=Standard;Large=Epic;Huge=Epic

Civs per map: Medium=10(15CS); Large=14(20CS);Huge=20(25CS)

Options: Ruins OFF (if map is large or huge), Quick combat ON

I should also turn random seed on, but I never reload anyway, so it doesn't make a difference.

I really like legendary start, because it most likely save you the time to reroll until you got a enticing enough spot for the capital to invest several hours of your life on it.
It's not cheating either because every AI will have amazing starting locations too, and it helps the one who go OCC/small empire, by choice or by force. It also make domination more rewarding, and not only for you.

I notice that several people say they play with Ancient Ruins turned off. From a historic perspective, Ancient Ruins always bothered me because I thought I was starting a game at the dawn of civilization, so who made these ruins?

That aside, how is no Ancient Ruins from a gameplay perspective?

Legendary start seems to give my capitol a flavor of sorts. Raging Barbarians give my Warriors and Scouts a challenge. Both add activity and interest to early exploration phase of the game.

Everything else is just cheating due to the fact that it is not how I play. :lol:.

From a historic perspective, Ancient Ruins always bothered me because I thought I was starting a game at the dawn of civilization, so who made these ruins?
The aliens who genetically engineered us, of course:lol:

Cranks the difficulty about a half a notch. I won't play with them on because the early bonuses augment the game WAY too much. My Civ4 HoF was very indicative of this; I had about 30 wins and the top 5 were games that I popped bronze-working out of a hut, the top game was the one that I popped bronze-working and machinery. I'd like my score to reflect how well I did, not how well the goody-huts did.

I notice that several people say they play with Ancient Ruins turned off. From a historic perspective, Ancient Ruins always bothered me because I thought I was starting a game at the dawn of civilization, so who made these ruins?

I turn them off sometimes, but not usually. I do so when I feel like an extra challenge because I won't be getting any free gold or techs or other bonuses.

Time Victory Condition OFF

And Legendary Start (Makes most sense, Civ's typically sprout under the most ideal resources)

Sometimes I turn off Diplomatic Victory because I think its boring.

Beyond that, I just let the map type and difficulty do its thing.

Sometimes I'll jump up a couple of difficulty levels and turn off all victory conditions except domination. As long as I'm alive, I've got a chance. This has really improved my gameplay. I used to play on Prince, sometimes King. Then I did the domination only and jumped to Emperor. Since doing that I now typically play on King when I want an easier game and Emperor when I want a challenge. Immortal is next on my list, but I just don't have the time lately.

Other games I like to turn on sparse resources. Having to acquire or trade for strategic resources makes their use more... strategic (for lack of a better word :) ).

Lately I've also been turning off the ancient ruins.

I've also tried games with as many civs as I could fit. Others with less than normal civs and many more city states. That way there are a few major powers and lots of mini nations.

Sparse resources is one of my favorites though.

Top Bottom