AI not expanding?

maltson

Chieftain
This is my first time playing this mod. My game stared in the ancient era (guess I accidentally selected it when setting up the game). I am about 100-200 turns in I have met 2 other civilizations, yet neither of them have built additional cities yet. I've got about 6 cities, I know they are technologically advanced enough to expand but haven't. Is this a bug or is there something else I'm missing?

Next time just edit your original post. Your problem I don't know about, Koshling might though he's a master at these kind of things

Also could you post your save game

There used to be a problem that starting in other than Prehistoric wasn't balanced, but I'm not sure if that applies here.

This is my first time playing this mod. My game stared in the ancient era (guess I accidentally selected it when setting up the game). I am about 100-200 turns in I have met 2 other civilizations, yet neither of them have built additional cities yet. I've got about 6 cities, I know they are technologically advanced enough to expand but haven't. Is this a bug or is there something else I'm missing?

Your problem is the bolded text above (almost certainly). We really need o change it from defaulting to that, since:
  1. The prehistoric era is half of the uniqueness in C2C; and
  2. We haven't balanced ancient era starts at all

My advice is definitely to start again (use Custom Game from the main menu) and start in prehistoric. You might want to take a look at the 'recommended options' thread also before getting started, as there are other things you may want to tweak.

I also recommend turning on BBAI logging (BUG screen, logging tab, set to level 3) (which will also require logging to be on generally in your INI file) to allow for diagnosis of AI issues.

Thanks Guys for the quick responses. I think I will take your advice and start a new game in the prehistoric era (and look at the other recommendations too). I will post a my saved game online when I get home anyhow if anyone still wants to look at it.

Attachments

• Mark AD-0097.CivBeyondSwordSave
    864.5 KB · Views: 43
Just wait. This mod is a huge investment of time. I played several games where I thought something was bugged as the AI didn't seem to be building new cities. If I remember correctly, it may have taken a couple hundred turns but before I knew it, they were building cities left and right. Maybe they take time to shore up their resources before expanding.

I'd hope they do take a bit to shore up before expanding. It'd be a terrible waste of time to build a tribe unit out the gate without making the city more capable of doing so in a fraction of the time first.

Just to give an example, I'm playing on epic speed and on turn 313, the AI founded it's 2nd city for the first time. I play with continents so can't speak if someone else founded before that, but I have 3 other civs on my continent.

Just to give an example, I'm playing on epic speed and on turn 313, the AI founded it's 2nd city for the first time. I play with continents so can't speak if someone else founded before that, but I have 3 other civs on my continent.

Interesting, Can't remember the speed I'm playing on (really just using the game to check out the mod so didn't pay a lot of attention when starting) so maybe that also make a difference. But don't you feel like it would be very hard for the AI to beat you even from this early stage when they take so long to expand? I've got 5-6 cities taking up prime land, the poor aztecs are stuck just above the ice/snow line with me taking all the land above them so even if they wanted to expand now it would be tough to find good spots. I'm producing 100+ beakers from my cities, I doubt they are producing anywhere near that many from a single city so early in the game. So already I'm the largest, most technically advanced, with prime city locations. To some degree it seems like the game is over. Would be interested to know if your game becomes more of a challenge later on.

Kosling 's advice seems prevalent, if the game hasn't been balanced for ancient era starts then its unlikely to work out well, or at least challenging.

@ thunderbrd, I'm all for the AI shoring up a bit before expanding (certainly did that myself in this mod). But I think its gone a bit beyond that

Turn 2444 (early classical/late ancient)... Egyptian have already 40 cities Oo
I have the other problem : AI expand far too much, the crime level in all his city are amazing and he s still build settlers..
Some others AI still have 3 or 4 cities, but some others... Look like they cant stop building cities everywhere, even if they lack gold, units...

Same here in the last games i played. Early Classical era one AI player has 25-35 citys others only 2-10.

Top Bottom