AI tournament, season 2

Ray Patterson

the dude is not in
I have fond memories of this: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=353585, so I figured I'd do a second season, coming back to Civ recently.

The idea is a tournament of civ AIs. I'll change up the format a bit from the original to speed up the process and make it what I consider to be more interesting. All games will be pangaea. The previous results serve as seeding, so the finalists and the runners up and wildcards are divided among the games. And we'll do 6 games of 9 and 8 civs.

here's the games:

Justinian I
Lincoln
Peter
Charlemagne
Napoleon
Frederick
Huayna
Suleiman
Ramses

Julius Caesar
Willem
Bismarck
Catherine
Hatshepsut
Darius
Ragnar
Wang Kon
Stalin

Ghandi
Isabella
Mansa Musa
Kublai
Brennus
Genghis
Shaka
Montezuma
Hammurabi

Gilgamesh
Louis
Survayarman
Boudica
Mehmed
Roosevelt
Washington
Churchill
Mao Zedong

Saladin
Asoka
Zara
Hannibal
Augustus
De Gaulle
Qin Shi
Tokugawa

Joao
Sitting Bull
Pacal
Victoria
Alexander
Cyrus
Pericles
Elizabeth

Haven't decided yet on format of second round. Perhaps taking 4 best performers from every game into round 2, or possibly putting winners in final, and 3 others into some form of play off.

Results for game 1 coming soon :p

edit: one thought beforehand. Game 3 is going to be insane!

I'd love to see this happen. Although I think all pangea will get a bit dull. Maybe in round 2 you can use a different map script? It would be good to have another round before the final, whatever you do, be that top 2, 3 or 4 from each game making it.

Agreed, game III will be mental... whoever vassals Mansa to win?!

Deity AI to make things interesting? I'd prefer maps with just 1-2 landmasses.

Game 1

A bloody and chaotic first half of the game. Napoleon early on decides to attack Ramesses, but while he's ahead in tech Ramesses has much higher production, and Ramesses makes him capitulate quickly. Then a dogpile on Peter develops. His neighbour Justinian vassalizes Peter and gets into the fight. But Ramesses vassalizes the other enemies of Peter, Huayna and Mehmed. Despite usually being a whole generation behind, Ramesses and allies keep pushing in on Peter and Justinian. So ultimately the two of them get vassalized by Ramesses as well. He's well underway to a domination victory at this point, with diplomation a real possibility as well.

The first time around Ramesses comes absurdly close to diplomatic victory: he gets 1096 votes and needs 1109. But he's pleased or friendly with everyone that's still independent, and doesn't even get into wheoorn anymore. Tech-wise he's good now, but Frederick is slightly better and finishes his spaceship before Ramesses. As the spaceship arrives Ramesses declares war on Charlemagne. Domination/Diplomation was therefore definitely in the cards for him still, just too late.

edit: Deity ai, yes. Indeed they just get a lot more stuff done :)

You should give us time time to make bets! :D

Yes, and I'd like to get a little more detailed write up from the game, with screenshots. Great idea, by the way :)!

Ghandi
Isabella
Mansa Musa
Kublai
Brennus
Genghis
Shaka
Montezuma
Hammurabi

I think they need to be in two different games :). Anyway, I like the idea, make nice reports please. I noticed a few more double nations, am I missing something or are you?

This is a competition of leaders, not nations. There's some games in which the same nation features twice, indeed. I don't have a problem with that and neither does the game if you do custom game, which you have to anyway if you hand pick the leaders.

As per requests I'll be doing more detailed reports for the rest of the games, got game 2 running now.

Game 2 looks pretty wide open. Cathy, JC, and Rags would prob be my top picks.

Game 2

Starting positions. Willem, Ragnar, Hatty, Julius and Bismarck in the corners. Darius and Catherine in the flanks, and Wang Kon and Stalin in the center. They're probably going to see some armies coming their way! Willem has some excellent choke points and crappy land.

Buddhism: Bismarck. Hinduism: Hatty. Wang Kon did not go for early religion, very unusual.

First to four cities: Julius

Stonehenge: Bismarck

First to Alphabet: Wang Kon

First to six cities: Julius

The world 2000 BC

GNP lead: Hatty
Prod lead: Willem
Crop lead: Hatty
Power lead: Stalin
Score lead: Catherine

Darius is gonna be in big trouble here i think. Hatty probably will be too unless she can convert Ragnar to Hinduism and even then it might not matter. Stalin and Bismark could both potentially get a lot of land.

Cathy is normally a very strong leader, but she would need to take somebody out early to have a chance here i think.

First to 8 cities: Catherine

Judaism: Darius

Great Wall: Darius

1550 Ragnar goes WHEOORN

Oracle: Darius

First to 10 cities: Julius

Lighthouse: Catherine

1000 BC

GNP lead: Catherine
Prod lead: Catherine
Crop lead: Julius
Power lead: Ragnar

last to get a religion: Catherine. 5 Hindu: Catherine, Ragnar, Willem, Wang Kon and Hatty. 2 Buddhist: Bismarck and Julius. 2 Jewish: Darius and Stalin.

T of Artemis: Darius
Pyramids: Darius

Confucianism: Hatty

775 BC Ragnar DOW Hatty, his neighbour and fellow Hindu. Julius goes into WHEOORN.

700 BC Julius DOW Darius, his neighbour

with that first to 15 cities: Julius

525 Hatty and Ragnar make peace, Ragnar having razed 1 city.

485 Stalin goes WHEOORN

245 Stalin DOW Wang Kon. Bismarck DOW Stalin

215 Ragnar DOW Hatty. Now only Catherine and Willem are not at war.

Parthenon: Darius

Mausoleum: Julius

Christianity: Hatty

Shwedagon: Darius

Colossus: Darius

65 BC: Stalin and Bismarck make peace after phony war

Music: Catherine

35 BC: Willem DOW Catherine. Now only Bismarck isn't at war. Willem's DOW is strange, as he's much weaker than her and is cautious.

Hanging Gardens: Catherine

The world AD 10

Prod lead: Julius
Crop lead: Catherine
Power lead: Julius

So far Ragnar's war on Hatty has been overwhelming, Stalin's on Wang Kon pretty successful, and Julius' on Darius a considerable disaster. I've seen this more often: Julius declares war and only then starts to gather his armies. No surprise stack of doom from him. As for Willem's war on Catherine... still early, but looks like he will be conquered himself.

This is going to be pretty interesting. All of the warmongers are getting big.

Taoism: Ragnar

85: Bismarck DOW Julius. Everyone at war

Chichen: Willem

175: Hatty capitulates to Ragnar

205: Wang Kon becomes Ragnar's vassal, so Ragnar and Hatty DOW Stalin

AP: Wang Kon

280: Julius and Bismarck make peace. Bismarck had taken one barb-founded city off Julius. Again Bismarck is only one at peace.

Great Library, Notre Dame: Willem

Angkor Wat: Catherine

The world AD 500

Prod lead: Catherine
Score lead: Ragnar

Most pop: Ragnar (19%)
Most territory: Ragnar (16%)

Cultural cities lead: Catherine

Islam: Hatty

655: Bismarck DOW Darius. Everyone at war again

Sistine: Catherine

Liberalism: Willem

820: Willem and Cathy make peace. Cathy has taken one of Willem's cities.

Taj Mahal: Cathy

890: Stalin capitulates to Ragnar.

910: Darius and Bismarck make peace. The only war left is Julius versus Darius, and Julius has just taken Persepolis.

920: Darius capitulates to Julius. The whole world is at peace for the first time in 1600 years... indeed this war has lasted nearly that whole period.

Economics: Catherine

University of Sankore, Spiral Minaret: Catherine

The world AD 1000

Prod lead: Catherine (golden age, otherwise possibly Ragnar)
Score lead: Ragnar

In power there's clearly 2 tiers: Ragnar, Catherine, Julius and Bismarck in tier 1, and Willem, Wang Kon, Darius and Hatty in tier 2. Willem's the only one of those that is not a vassal. For now...

Most pop and terrain: both Ragnar at 25%

Most cultured cities: Cathy.

The game is now clearly Cathy's to lose.

Versailles: Catherine

1170: Ragnar goes WHEOOHRN
1210: Julius goes WHEOORN

Physics: Cathy

1315: Julius and Darius DOW Bismarck.

1330: Ragnar and his vassals DOW Catherine. The only one not at war is Willem.

1430: Cathy capitulates to Ragnar. A short and spectacularly decisive war, Cathy lost about 10 cities. Despite being tech leader, Cathy was actually a generation behind Ragnar's massive forces, which were considerably boosted by his vassals. I think Wang Kon and Ragnar in particular traded techs a lot, which pulled them ahead.

1435: Bismarck capitulates to Julius. There's 3 blocks now: Ragnar and his 4 vassals, Julius and his 2... and Willem! Shows the power of my predictions -.-

1440 Wang Kon becomes independent. Julius goes into WHEOOHRN. Coincidence? Doubtful.

Kremlin: Willem

1455 Julius out of WHEOOHRN. Wang Kon revassalizes to Ragnar. :-D

Slightly confusing borders around what used to be Cathy's cities:

The world AD 1500

GNP lead: Ragnar
Prod lead: Ragnar
Crop lead: Ragnar
Power lead: Ragnar. by a mile!
Score lead: guess

Pop: Ragnar (37%)
Land: Ragnar (35%)

Cultured cities: Catherine

And Ragnar just went WHEOOHRN again.

Doesn't smell good for Willem :)

Wow Cathy vassals with still 18 cities... does that ever happen when it's the human conquering?? :crazyeye:
Can Cathy win Culture?

Rags still seems far from Dom... I'm going to guess Ragnar win via UN.

Just one question, how do you set your relations with the AI to friendly in WB?

Fascism: Cathy

Statue of Liberty: Darius

Pentagon: Stalin

1610: Ragnar and his vassals DOW Willem

1660: Hatty and Wang Kon complete Apollo Program. Willem capitulates to Ragnar

1670: Ragnar goes into WHEOOHRN. There's just 1 other independent power left, Jules, so his target is clear. Tech-wise he's far ahead of Julius and his block. This could be a spectacular domination or perhaps even conquest victory! Edit: though Ragnar does run the risk of losing his larger vassals.

1680: Stalin's Apollo Program

The world 1706 (after Wang Kon rejoined Ragnar's gang for the third time)

Crop lead to Julius, all others to Ragnar.

Pop/land: Ragnar at 42 and 38% respectively.

Top Bottom