• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

ALC Game #26: Willem van Oranje/Dutch

Agreed. I started by always rejecting those demands. That was fine in the lower levels, but when I moved up to Emperor I noticed a strong correlation to saying no and being DoW'd. I have since learned to temper my annoyance with logic and occasionally give in to AI demands for the diplo bonus and peace treaty.

I agree in most cases, although I will refuse all demands from an AI that I plan to go to war fairly soon. With any luck, they'll throw the first punch and you won't get any diplo penalties.

Agreed. I started by always rejecting those demands. That was fine in the lower levels, but when I moved up to Emperor I noticed a strong correlation to saying no and being DoW'd. I have since learned to temper my annoyance with logic and occasionally give in to AI demands for the diplo bonus and peace treaty.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think every time you refuse a demand the AI rolls to determine whether it wants to attack you (unless they're already at war).

Well, it is always less painful to give 100 gold than a monopoly tech when confronted with a begging AI , right? :p That is a nother benefit of binary research :p

Well, it is always less painful to give 100 gold than a monopoly tech when confronted with a begging AI , right? :p That is a nother benefit of binary research :p
I was under impression they never beg for a monopoly tech :confused:

Hmm, not as far as I know. In my experience they'll demand anything and everything - they're damned cheeky buggers. ;)

Oh, if that was true .... :cry: They just don't ask for your coffee because they don't have that option :p

I find that an ai demand is usually a warning that they have already rolled to attack (tribute, not a beg). I take that as a sign to prepare for war and reinforce my fronts.

By giving in you are delaying the inevitable, but that delay can make all the difference.

A few suggestions.

1. Did you think about settling Ultrect 1 SE of its current location? It would be better 1 SE since it would be coastal (GLH), and have more hammers, and have less overlap with the other 2 cities.

2. Send a settler to grab that Stone/Gold/Iron/Incense city to the East, it is not an ideal spot food wise, but those 4 precious resources + coastal is worth a settler for sure. Chain irragation will allow it to grow later.

3. We can see 2 clams + flood plain directly south of the capital on a seperate landmass, explore it a bit, settle ASAP if it is connected by coastal tiles. Also explore more with Galleys to allow more foreign trade routes.

4. Techwise go Alphebat/Currency/COL. Possibly trade for Aesth, then Literature for HE(Amsterdam) and NE (London). Try winning Music race for the GArtist for GAge. During GAge, you can do all the civic switches and choose a state religion (Mao).

5. Pleasing a powerful adjacent neighbor is better than a distant neighbor. So I d suggest to bribe Mao into war against Alex. Then backstab Mao. It is possible to go Cats/Jumbos, but given that your cities are so far apart, I d suggest wait until setting up HE and Engineering (3 road move + Treb + 1 castle traderoute). Treb+Mace+XBow+Pike will be extremely devastating against Immortal AIs and you will suffer minimum loss.

I find that an ai demand is usually a warning that they have already rolled to attack (tribute, not a beg). I take that as a sign to prepare for war and reinforce my fronts.

By giving in you are delaying the inevitable, but that delay can make all the difference.

I'm pretty sure that Monty has DoW'd another AI after I gave in and after our 10-turn peace treaty. IOW, it averted the war on me entirely. I am positive that giving in has averted a war entirely, as AIs have gone WHEOOHRN, demanded tribute from me, gotten it, and gone out of WHEOOHRN a few turns later.

Even though I have learned to build more troops, I am still a builder at heart, and these events are a good reminder that my inner builder is reasserting itself. ;)

Also explore more with Galleys to allow more foreign trade routes.

I see this often. I am positive that in this shadow game I had trade routes with one of the Ghandi without ever having exposed any of his cities. I did find his cultural borders, however. Does anyone know the mechanics for trade routes? Clearly you can get routes with cities you haven't seen yet, but is it required that you have a visible route to their borders?

I see this often. I am positive that in this shadow game I had trade routes with one of the Ghandi without ever having exposed any of his cities. I did find his cultural borders, however. Does anyone know the mechanics for trade routes? Clearly you can get routes with cities you haven't seen yet, but is it required that you have a visible route to their borders?
It's been my experience that the latter is the case. Specifically, it seems as though you can have a trade route to a city provided you have exposed at least one of its cultural border tiles. Someone who's up more on the game mechanics may want to confirm or clarify.

@EmperorFool

This might not be 100% accurate, but i think you need the following conditions for trading over coastal tiles:

1. Both players have Sailing and have Open Border

2. If there is a 3rd AI owning the coast tiles between you and the 2nd AI, then you need a 3-way OB in order for you to trade with the 2nd AI over the coast

3. Neither player is running Mercantilism civic

4. You can trade with a city as soon as you find its cultural border, but in order to be able to trade with other cities of the same AI, this city you find will need to be connected with the other cities via land or coast

I'm playing the next session now, and will have it written up tonight. :)

Dont you hate 24 different time zones?

Top Bottom