Sith or Jedi?

• Sith

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • Jedi

Votes: 51 59.3%
  • Chuck Norris

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters
the guy almost got killed before the release of movie in some accident . Indeed he might have done better and perhaps he wouldn't . In an newspaper interview yesterday or something (which ı naturally didn't read in fear of spoilers) he seems to be ranting that he had to take vegetable juice or something 4 years straight only to fit into the robes , not that he should have taken like half a dozen Oscars .

Ah, yes, ignore the pictures and videos. It's just that compared to other reviews I've seen (where I've had to skip paragraphs that started with ‘And then Kylo Ren <verb>’) they didn't really stick out. Oh, and I didn't play any of the videos.
Yeah, he was the Joker in the 90s animated Batman series, not that anyone who didnt watch it in English would even notice.
He's Skips, man.

Ahhh, yeeaaaah, I haven't watched Regular Show in ages.

So in all honesty, I love all 8 Star Wars movies leading up to Last Jedi. Prequels. Sequels. Originals. Offshoots. I love them to death, warts and all. I've watched them dozens of times. I've marathoned them. Anakin and Padme's wooden romance acting, Jar Jar, Death Star 2.0, The Force Awakens a Carbon Copy, yadda yadda. Love it.

Last Jedi was just an awful movie. I don't even want to spend too much time explaining or whatever. I'm kind of bummed as all hell. Just awful, in about every single way a movie can be. Can't even begin to sum up how disappointing it was and how much a trainwreck it was. Both as a movie, distinct from Star Wars, and as Star Wars, distinct from a movie. Blech. Blech blech blech.

well , what can ı say ?

had the ticket beforehand , coming at 2.35 dollars at the values of Wednesday . About 20 people in theater , now that it's a weekday and noon at that . Would say mostly male teens , though at least 4 balding guys with white showing up . Should have said 5 , but ı always hate that other mall where there are a lot of mirrors and ı can't avoid the sight of the back of my head . The kid under 10 was about 4 or 5 seats away on the same row , with his parents , ı think . Left the webcafe on time or something but missed the train that would pass the mall (and the movie theater) directly and took the other . Had a delay and it like tried stopping on the road , though for not even a minute . Didn't have time to think what sort of international incident ı would stage . Some not so hurried walking , now that am no longer young or something , even lost 5 seconds or so tying my loose shoe lace . No 3D glasses as usual , my nose protests at the extra weight . The ads were playing in various blobs of colour , but yours idiotly is trooper or something , confident there will be enough blogs and the like to pick up any missed details and stuff . As long as ı get the story . Dubbed , the subtitled one is like in the middle of the night , so no need read to subtitles as well . One thing specifically for the Turkish cinema scene ; we "swallow" the Rs a lot in speaking : Gidiyor (He/she/it is going) coming out as gidiyo and the dubbing follows the kinda irritating convention . But Star Wars is famous for its stilted English , right ? Why didn't that change yet ?

there are some delays with an empty screen and they fix the colours , the usual 10 minutes of ads and stuff . Yay , the music , the opening crawl , stuff . Back to tactically ridiculous after Rouge One ; am not saying it's not good cinema but it's obviously spoiler worthy for the supernerd , "Calling Captain Anorak" kind of thing . So , down below at 1 ... ı would wager quite a bit that am the only one in this thread to follow a blog of CGI artists , hence accused of producing them Star Wars movies . As a result kinda receptive when people are overheard in the dark cursing the delays or those two kids discussing "that" scene during the intermission . (2) Arriving in the dark ı wasn't sure about the row , even if there are like hundreds of empty seats and stuff and was on the other aisle looking for the letter-number combination and the kids were moving up , one calling it BS . Star Wars is not a religion , it's only a good yarn . While it should have been a good sight to get me start with a "Blasphemer!" , my reserves of anger and stuff are more about the lack of response and can't download as much as ı like ... Back to the teens . The presence of the internet will surely enable them to look up and see the Episodes VII - IX were differently conjectured in their entirity in the 1980s and despite the half-hearted attempts to place it , you certainly see no lightsabers involved and the like . On a very personal basis it wouldn't happen that way when stuff happens and am done orbital bombardment but with Carrie Fisher in mind that scene can not be taken out of the general release . Considering all the sheninigans revolving around Skywalkers , it's not a big deal anyhow . Finally in view of last year's stunt double trouble , a rather relaxed environment , though you can really see people murmuring . Reach out loses a bit when translated to Turkish , but ı laughed even . So , the verdict ?

the orc is good , fits like a glove . Vaderisme is played nicely , justifiying VII if VII was planned that way . Even better if a reaction . Angry Birds were all over the magazines but ı have never played them , so . Cuteness factor must be okay , ı couldn't help overhearing the kid liking the last creatures . There's a lot on the screen , processing all that is a thing , takes a period of warming up . When ı saw the Empire as my first SW movie , ı was comparatively much older and already a nut after them comics pages of the New Hope , still kept after 3 decades and even surviving that green bunny . Still , you lost him only once . Lack of expected visuals led him ask parents what was going on . Was tempted on a lecture of physics yet he must have picked up with the onboard action anyhow . And of course , ı would be like the first one to question the choice if Poe Dameron explained what was happening , like why the directors see the audience as kids and stuff .

take it easy on the [F]ormer [O]ttomans , with their usage of "Traitor" like one of every two words . And fixation with big guns . ı regularly play Ottomans testing new mods from CFC (even if Civ III forums are kinda placid these days) . They are part of what we Turks are ; despite people might be surprised at yours idiotly bein' a Republican but nary uttering a word against them . And New Turkey is so going to sue Disney ! Even a worse fate to expect if Congregation takes over America as it's doing according to news here . How did that happen ? Despite jackal being a slur in Turkish and stuff . Yeah , at (3) . Am not producing any movies and anyone who is halfway familiar with me would agree that if ı had the power to vet , it would have never passed . ı have a "right " to one movie a year and feel entitled to be pleasantly surprised , so no trailers and close the page if stuff appears , starting in May each year ... So , what's this , an American conspiracy ? Naturally , today's newspaper has it on the frontpage that the female leader of the splinter from the almost racists seeing the movie , with the claim that "Women can" , in the mold of Rosie the Riveter . And ı will be blamed for it , like as always ...

overall ? The movie theater is kinda close to home and the train fare of about 60 cents is too much to pay for that . VII was bitterly cold weather , Rogue One coincided with a partially sunny afternoon that certainly added to the glow inside me , but this Wednesday ı wanted to walk , almost as much as ı had on May 19th of 2005 . Just do not let that get into you , for am pretty sure there must be praise and a lot but everybody knows this is the middle of the triology and everybody waits the IX to tank ; choose your Ewoks wisely . Why , it's so easy . Was 20 degrees Centigrade with a weather front from Libya , Ridley factor and man , Luke Skywalker .

Spoiler :

well , at your own discretion , you can still turn back
Spoiler :

as much as ı love the homage to a certain TV series , the true sign of geekness in the SW field is asking why some murder wedge is not called from a far to jump in front and rake them Rebels . And why should TIE fighters not be allowed to kill them all . On the other hand ı love that the slight against the B-Wing is rectified , bigger and bigger and all that . Respect American respect for the B-17s as well . Though as am writing this on Thursday and with no idea of what's on Wookipedia , ı certainly feel there should be supporting "literature" about how that armoured battleship (?) works . The word in Turkish comes from French and it would be armoured armoured if fully dubbed , but can't exactly tell . But as a "fleet-killer" it should like totally have a distant shield or whatever that justifies Dameron trading insults with Hux , all the while drifting into place , as much as an AT-AT walks through the forcefields on Hoth , and taking out the extremely limited number of flak turrets situated "above" the shield so that the bombers can show up . This shield should be impervious to all sorts of laser fire and proton torpedoes like repelling them with some effect on their propulsion . Even its own guns will need a "tunnel" of matter flowing outside the shield to fire . While the bombads just want to fall to the planet and the battleship gets in the way . Same shield for the orc's as well , so that we can claim Holda (?) is a brilliant flier . She could have never achieved a kamikaze hit on sublight while she manages to take out a couple of lesser ships as well . But , please , enough with crash dives , like since 1986 in my case . And ı think ı heard it as Kennedy ... Man , what did your boss do to you ? Not as bad as that evil Irish , Hux dude though . When are we going to have a Red by the way ? Hoth II ? Why , no issues with that at all , and not because of spoiler 3 , but it's all about mindgames , this episode , isn't it ? Though the allegation that the Stardestroyers would ignore small ships ? Running to a place that suddenly turns out to have a planetary shield that can defy a bunch of dudes that have stuff to blow up planets this way or the other ? Of Phasma , we have seen a bit more in this , but surely there's stuff in the works to justify the shiny armour ?

and this kinda needs underlined ... What's the point of copying it from Trek ? Pursuit in Warp or single person pod that Millennium Falcon drops Rey diagonally cutting across the First Order fleet (being superfast ) . Both from Khan and like how many people like that ?

Spoiler :

we the people of Turkey are stuck in the era of Arnie in Total Recall . When in vacuum , your eyes pop out and you go off like a balloon .

Spoiler :

old time horsebandits get attacked , only a few survives and a female wolf leads them into a safe place inside mountains . Years pass and too much reproduction [of people, what did you expect instead ?] , but they have forgotten the way out . Finally find a place but can't get out . They have ironmakers , though , bellows are placed , fires started and that wall of iron is melted down . Rey , as a junk collector , is involved with iron stuff , right ? Even lives inside the foot of an AT-AT ... When our turn to be destroyed to come , Congregation finds some coup-plotters are organized in conspiracy named after this legend , it becomes a very bad word ...

Spoiler :

this time training stuff , and kinda spoiler stuff , ı loved what transpired sometime during the movie . Involving Master Skywalker .

Spoiler :

the time is far too short , to train , to learn , to discover . Even if this is a fault of George Lucas . Dagobah should have been like months long but the spaceworm and Bespin makes that hard to believe . Yet this time in hours ? We have at least have a notion that it's watch-and-learn Rey with a massive concentration of power . So she gets super duper in a day while , say , Ahsoka would spend years as a Padawan . Even Anakin has a decade in training , right ? ı truly get she is physically ready to swing the saber with merely replacing the stick with it . And an idea that such super concentration comes with a dumbness . That keeps "the" Jedi from doing harm before he /she /it is ready to do good . Has precedent , too . Has always loved the interaction that started in Dagobah . Also ı love Luke is still so thick-headed with the proper thock ...

and while at it , hetero is good . ı understand it takes much more courage in today's America to be involved while both people are not of the same colour and one of the colours is not White . At least according to some article in Newsweek or Time in the 1990s or whatever . So , no racism calls out of dat . And that difference in physical size , much to be mocked , no doubt . Only thing to do now is declining the easily impressionable young lady to the arrogant dude who is learning the intricasies of command , of moderation . Any of the two , if you will . One deserves a lightsaber through the chest , anyhow

Elsewhere ı have seen it described as the worst in 40 years and so on, and debate on what characters do and don't . Well , seriously do not open the spoiler until you have seen the movie , just to see whether you will notice it yourself . Was walking home when it kind of came to me

Spoiler :

regarding the reach of Force
Spoiler :

the hair colour of a contestant somewhere in a fight . In case you still opened the spoilers without seeing the movie first
Spoiler :

it's a "These are not the droids you are looking for" thing . Needs Princess Organa survive . Not some Eastern way of doing stuff with the 90% of the brain we humans do not use

So in all honesty, I love all 8 Star Wars movies leading up to Last Jedi. Prequels. Sequels. Originals. Offshoots. I love them to death, warts and all. I've watched them dozens of times. I've marathoned them. Anakin and Padme's wooden romance acting, Jar Jar, Death Star 2.0, The Force Awakens a Carbon Copy, yadda yadda. Love it.

Last Jedi was just an awful movie. I don't even want to spend too much time explaining or whatever. I'm kind of bummed as all hell. Just awful, in about every single way a movie can be. Can't even begin to sum up how disappointing it was and how much a trainwreck it was. Both as a movie, distinct from Star Wars, and as Star Wars, distinct from a movie. Blech. Blech blech blech.
In what way? Was it a remake of Empire Strikes Back?

I haven't seen the movie yet, and I'm avoiding reading any of the reviews beforehand, but I'm fascinated by the fact that The Last Jedi is getting very favorable reviews from professional critics, but very mixed reviews from audiences. It makes me even more interested to see it.

Metacritic: 86 Critics score, 54 Users score.
Rotten Tomatoes: 93% Tomatometer, 62% Audience Score.

Both are pretty stark differences.

I haven't seen the movie yet, and I'm avoiding reading any of the reviews beforehand, but I'm fascinated by the fact that The Last Jedi is getting very favorable reviews from professional critics, but very mixed reviews from audiences. It makes me even more interested to see it.

Metacritic: 86 Critics score, 54 Users score.
Rotten Tomatoes: 93% Tomatometer, 62% Audience Score.

Both are pretty stark differences.
I find that I usually really like movies that get high critic ratings but mediocre audience ratings on Rotten Tomatoes. What I find, is that when that happens its usually because the movie has too much stuff to analyze and ponder and not enough straightforward entertainment, in whatever form. However, in this case, I'm also willing to consider the possibility that the critics are just thralls to Disney...

Now on the other hand, I also tend to enjoy films with high audience ratings but poor critic ratings... I find that those are usually the movies that are just good fun, like summer blockbusters for example... super heroes, straight-up action... that kind of thing... and the critics often take themselves way too seriously to just sit back and enjoy them for what they are.

In any case, I'm seeing it tomorrow, so I look forward to seeing what all the fuss is about.

It might also be upset fans, you never know.

Best one in the series.

Spoiler :
It's the true epilogue for the OT and fulfills the themes of Episodes I through VI, making the story into a cohesive whole. The original themes of good vs. evil are subverted twice over, even moving beyond notions of false equivalence into paradox vs. dialectic. The more I think about it, the more I love it. What a meaty, layered film. For cryin' out loud, Johnson made the Gospel of Luke into the finishing story for Luke Skywalker.

I'm just back from the cinema and I definitely think you should watch it, Sommerswerd.

Reading some of the titles of the user reviews on IMDB is both hilarious and saddening at the same time.
  • "Went to the movies happy, came out partially sad and confused."
  • "I STARTED TO CRY AFTER 90 MINUTES"
  • "NEVER, in ALL MY LIFE, have I been more GENUINELY ANGRY at a movie."
  • "I thought I was in the wrong movie"

People can't even wait to get home before starting with the hysterics. I actually saw a person going on WhatsApp about an hour into the film.

This movie is an abomination. Rian Johnson absolutely ruined a childhood hero character so many of us loved in Luke Skywalker, and completely wasted the interesting setup of The Force Awakens. Was so very much looking forward to this movie. Not looking forward to the next, who cares.

I'm going to see it tonight. Looking forward to it, I am sure to like it. :p

You assumed that Luke was going to be a starry-eyed tween forever?
Grownup Luke and grownup Leia. Old folks teaching a new generation. That's Star Wars.

SPOILER WARNING I GUESS

TLJ has been watched and I dont get the rage. It was good. I dont get why people think the Finn arc was pointless. Luke is a faithless priest, all that jazz. In fact, Luke and Kylo reminded me of the priest and the officer in The Power And The Glory. Kylo and Rey brought the question of balance and the Force to the front much more forcefully than Jedi sermoning and Sith duelling ever did. We got through V and VI and now JJ Abrams has to create something, which terrifies me. I think we are headed in for a dismal IX, simply because JJ doesnt know better.

Top Bottom