Allow a Japanese city on our continent?

TimBentley

Deity
There are three cities left to take; the English and Babylonian cities must be on their original continent, since they can no longer build cities. It would be possible to allow Japan to settle a city on our continent (i.e., open up the Great Wall of Fear, closing it if anyone else sends a galleon near there), so the city we capture from them would have reasonable corruption. Is there a particular place on our continent where we would like Japan to settle a city for us to capture? This city would have to be coastal, as we could not reliably route them towards an inland spot without them settling earlier. I should note that Shakespeare's Theater and Magellan's Voyage are the only nonobsolete wonders in Japanese cities.

We need a coastal city on the other continent so that we can ship back any luxuries we claim - the Babylonians can provide us with that on the southern peninsula. The one city can be kept productive using the Forbidden Palace, the second will be more difficult. So I would prefer to keep allow the Japanese to settle one city on our continent, in a place of our choosing. I'm sure they have a Settler ready, we just need to decide the spot, build the wall to guild them there and kill any other settlers who decide to land. If we do it quickly, the city will hopefully be at size 2 or with culture so that we can capture it when we declare.

As a first thought, as it has to be a coastal site, we could perhaps pick a spot near the Gems in the north - there are some sites there that would have the gems, several bonus grasslands but very little coast that could be very effective. Alternatively, there's the western French/Persian region, possibly around the dyes. The best sites in the west though are probably more central.

So, yes, let the Japanese build a city on our continent.

Of your potential sites, I'd narrow it down to numbers 1, 5, and 11. Not necessarily in that order.

I'm not in favor of this one. No offense, folks, but this is a pure gimmick trying to get around the spirit of the rules. It smells of a cheap ploy.

If we want a Japanese city, there are plenty out there to go after. We don't have a Forbidden Palace yet, so finding a location with several cities nearby that we can capture (Japanase - English; Japanese - Babylon) is simple and doable.

Let's not stoop to something like this.

-- Ravensfire

ravensfire said:
I'm not in favor of this one. No offense, folks, but this is a pure gimmick trying to get around the spirit of the rules. It smells of a cheap ploy.

If we want a Japanese city, there are plenty out there to go after. We don't have a Forbidden Palace yet, so finding a location with several cities nearby that we can capture (Japanase - English; Japanese - Babylon) is simple and doable.

Let's not stoop to something like this.

-- Ravensfire

:mischief: Of course there's always Option A

Cyc said:
:mischief: Of course there's always Option A

See? Now THAT'S the idea!

I ask you, why should we allow the filthy Japanese to found any new city on OUR land? It's an abomination! It's immoral!

Besides, there's some new research that's starting for a new military unit called a Tank. Imagine, if you would, a tractor covered with armor and carrying multiple maching guns and even a cannon or two! We have a few prototypes that show some impressive possibilities.

We've already had to discipline a few drivers for getting a bit "exuberate" in their driving, running OVER ditches, signs, cars, etc. I think that we can get a few dozen of these and let 'em run amok over in Japan. Now, if we had a city over there, we might be able to create a way to quickly send these units from the mainland over to the battlefield.

-- Ravensfire

Oh, shucks! I put one of those together on the farm. ;)

I can pick off a cow at a hundred yards and not spill ma beer!

Let's just up and do it!

Here's some possible locations on the other continent. I think the Japanese cities with less corruption would be better than a city on our continent.

Attachments

• DG7_Japancity4.JPG
    DG7_Japancity4.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 249
  • DG7_Japancity5.JPG
    DG7_Japancity5.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 248
TB - thanks for getting things going on this. I think you've highlighted two of the better areas. Hopefully on Sunday I'll have a chance to look hard at the matter, and give some (better) comments on it.

Thanks!
-- Ravensfire

The locations on the peninsular would give us the chance to get 3 cities together and claim some spices: Eulbar or Samarra from Babylon, Oxford from England and Ise from Japan (although they are all Japanese now). The penisula also gives us the opportunity to get a foothold on that continent iving the bottleneck at Isumo to create a defensible position to wear the Japanese troops down and allow us to ferry sufficient troops across.

Whichever site we choose would 3 cities together over there (with a Forbidden Palace in one) serve us better than 2, with another city on our homeland?

Top Bottom