Alternate History Thread V

Now all you need is a roof tile falling on Odovacer's head and the cycle will be complete!

Looks good so far, I like how the Western Roman expedition accidentally ruins everything for Constantinople. Though the Goths don't have any convenient region to name themselves rex of...or perhaps will they use basileus?

Also, shouldn't more of Brittany proper be Roman, or does Riothamus not control the whole peninsula? I could see his army getting involved in petty warfare in other Britain in the future, too.

Riothamus, in fact, controls that light-blue patch south of the Loire. I doubt a return to Britain is in the cards for him.

I contend that assertion.

Whether you're using contend transitively or intransitively changes the meaning of that phrase entirely. And contend is an ambitransitive verb. In this instance, contend is modifying assertion so it appears transitive, so I'm reading this as "I maintain that assertion". But I feel like Masada and Thlayli took it as intransitive and read it as "I dispute that assertion", and no attempt was made to correct that understanding. Either reading could conceivably make sense with the arguement you are defensibly making, as thlayli's framing of his assertion is incredibly permissive.

tl;dr: Are you agreeing or disagreeing?

I'm very interested Dachs and will read the whole tl in an hour or so.

Whether you're using contend transitively or intransitively changes the meaning of that phrase entirely. And contend is an ambitransitive verb. In this instance, contend is modifying assertion so it appears transitive, so I'm reading this as "I maintain that assertion". But I feel like Masada and Thlayli took it as intransitive and read it as "I dispute that assertion", and no attempt was made to correct that understanding. Either reading could conceivably make sense with the arguement you are defensibly making, as thlayli's framing of his assertion is incredibly permissive.

tl;dr: Are you agreeing or disagreeing?

Ran out of a counterargument fast, didn't you?

con·tend
/kənˈtɛnd/ Show Spelled[kuhn-tend]
–verb (used without object)
to struggle in opposition: to contend with the enemy for control of the port.

to strive in rivalry; compete; vie: to contend for first prize.
to strive in debate; dispute earnestly: to contend against falsehood.

–verb (used with object)
to assert or maintain earnestly: He contended that taxes were too high.

I underlined the parts that were relevent here.

Just finished reading the timeline and I loved it. Historically sound :)p) and very readable (unfortunately uncommon in our genre) I will eagerly follow the next installments.

Hmm...shouldn't there be a bit more Sklavic action around Romania, or have those groups not arrived yet?

Also, I am still working on my TL. Expect installment one sometime this weekend, covering mostly Western European and Mediterranean events.

Honestly, we've got no friggin clue where the Slavs came from. Discounting the theories that are based chiefly on nationalism, there are plausible guesses for the Carpathian foothills, northern European Russia, Lithuania, and Poland. We also have very little idea about the actual flows of migration, insofar as they actually happened, and when they happened. It's honestly a crapshoot. We know more about contemporary British history than we do about fifth- and early sixth-century Slavs.

So we'll not really be discussing that nonsense until it actually becomes necessary to discuss, if that makes any sense.

Ran out of a counterargument fast, didn't you?

That wasn't a counter argument. I agree with him on what he said in his response post, namely that Ireland could have unified and done great things but would never have been a colossus striding the globe. That post was trying to find out if, in turn, he was agreeing the thlayli expansive position. I haven't had the time to respond to his other responses, but overall it seems we agree. No need to counter a position that, you know, makes logical sense.

Just an introductory taste, I suppose. More to come from the Italian Wars tomorrow.

TNESI Interim: 1535-1550

Part One: Faulkner, Lion-Tamer – Europe, Part 1/3

It is a strange world, to be certain, but one has no choice but to live upon it. An easterner once said, "Life is suffering." Whether he is right, or wrong, I know not. But there is no suffering greater than a hard campaign and a hard winter. Of late, we have had many of those. Europa, they say, is the stone from which blood never ceases to flow. Yet I doubt not that heathen continents have such troubles, though they ascribe to them different names.

The century would be auspicious, the sooth-sayers said. It has been a time for ambitious men. Or, as they are also known, madmen. And women, such as the Mad Empress, Dominatrix of Rome, or whichever new epithet the Papacy has crafted of late for Tryphaina I Commenos. We will come to the tale of the great gambit of her son Andronikos in time.

The two jewels at the center of the Europan crown, Francia and Germania, remain contested, but for the moment let us focus on the first. The Angevins have reigned in Lyon for over three decades, claiming to be sovereign lords of all France, which includes Brittany and the Norman coasts. But upon the low hanging fruit of Lengadòc and Lotharingen, the eyes of King Gilles III fell with greater avarice. When King Lothair II, died without heir, it was Angevin gold that bought the acclaim of some nobles of the Rhine for young Gilles, a distant albeit hated relative of the Lotharian dynast. The armies of the Occitan scurried to reinforce their monarch's claim, the rich lands of the Rhine open for the taking.

Of course, the presumptions of the encroaching Angevins that a rich and ancien kingdom of Europe might fall into their lap without contest were dashed when Queen Brigitte attempted to convene a regency council, which hastily named her executrix for her infant son, the "rightful" monarch. Brigitte was a young noblewoman of Strasburg before marrying the aged king, and the child, while adopted into the king's household, had been born of that woman's previous marriage, to a now-dead burgher. Lothair having outlived two previous wives, the marriage itself caused the social outcry of the century, but since when did a king care what his pretentious nobles thought?

While the thought of elevating a merchant prince to the throne enraged the (somewhat Francified) nobility of Lotharingen, the towns and cities, speaking the Lotharian Franco-German patois, were not keen to see domination from Lyon fall upon their heads. Contacts between the mercantile middle classes in Burgundia and Flanders soon brought the plight of Queen Brigitte to the court of the Norse. Unwilling to see their Angevin rivals acquire the rich lands of Lotharingen, Emperor Sigurd I raised the Tredje companies of Bremen and Antwerp, and a European war was born.

The Norse Tredje showed their trademark speed and organization quickly, linking up with a “people’s army” of mostly mercenaries, paid for by the merchants. These new armies were incorporating an ever-larger proportion of gunpowder weapons. On the field at Chalrille by the Meurthe, the combined force smashed an Occitan/Lotharian noble army, driving the Angevins and their strongest supporters from the country. The Lotharien nobility quickly got in line behind the infant Prince Hugh, and Queen Brigitte was “eternally” grateful to the Norse, who for their part found Lotharingen’s continued existence quite useful.

However, due to events coalescing in the south, King Gilles had decided not to commit many French forces to that conflict at all. The Norse, too, would find Occitania to be a minor terror compared to what lay ahead… (Part 3)

The story of the Italian Crusade begins in Hispania, as do so many intrigues.

By all accounts the Toledo Papacy was more energetic and effective in asserting its control over the Latin world than the Roman. The Popes at that time were reckoned to be Spanish puppets, with the Archbishop of Toledo’s election as Pius IV. But Babylonian Captivity or not, as the religious fervor against the depredations of Constantinople grew, Pius skillfully wielded the ubiquitous crusading sentiment to bludgeon the Lion Throne into becoming (at least for the moment) an instrument of the Church. The Papacy’s first aim was the creation of a Third Catholic League to encircle and defeat the Greek. Despite having lost control of the Papacy itself, the Austrian faction agreed to renew the alliance, as a loss for Constantinople was always a victory for Vienna. If the Roman Papacy could be restored, perhaps they themselves might reunite Italy and Germany, and resurrect the long-dead Holy Roman Empire? The support of Aquitaine was easily won with promises of restored Occitan land and the accession of Pope and Emperor to the final annexation of the belittled Provencal state, which occurred in 1540.

The lynchpin in this alliance, unfortunately for the Catholics, was the unstable Dual Kingdom of Florence and Milan, ruled in truth by Florence herself. Catholic and publically allied to the Austro-Spanish axis, a strong Florence would be necessary to recapture Rome. Andronikos V Kommenos was not blind to this fact. For his part, he remained publically oblivious to the fact that the breach of the Romano-Spanish alliance signed in 1507 was imminent. In private, gold flowed to a simmering rebellion in Milan, whose gratitude for the aging Restitutor Lombardia, Alessandro of Florence, savior of the besieged city from Swiss siege cannons some thirty years ago, had long run dry. In a place such as Italy, where every man of great standing (or so it is said) has at least one mistress, it would be impossibly easy to manufacture a pretender.

Genoa and Byzantium cooperated to secretly fund a Milanese pretender, Gian Boccano, a supposed descendent of the great Ottone IV. The Dual Kingdom was already on the ropes, with an unpopular royal marriage between the Crown Prince Regent (also named) Alessandro and a Venetian magnate’s daughter causing riots in the streets of Milan and Pisa and public accusations of submitting to Austrian overlordship. When Gian started his rebellion, Andronikos V knew that it was time to launch his gambit. Defeat and destroy this latest incarnation of the Catholic League, or wait to lose Italy or worse when the New Rome was distracted by matters to the East, as it often was.

The financial crisis caused by the expansion of the standing-army Tagmata regiments had been resolved over the past 10 years by gradually replacing them with a series of outer-theme minority units who were paid in land and given cushy non-hereditary positions in provincial governments in return for a full term of service. Derided as a new Varangian Guard, these units, mostly Wallachians, Hungarians, Serbs, and Anatolian Muslims, were actually just as (if not more) effective in serving the Emperor’s will than the previous all-Greek military, occasionally poisoned by various factional loyalties to noble houses, had been. Still, it gave the core territories another reason to spit on the Golden Commenid’s effigy in private, even as they glorified him in public…as long as the victories came.

The initial League plan had been simple, but fairly bold. Austria would launch a diversionary attack into Hungary while Florence attacked south towards Rome. Aquitaine (using the Provencal fleet) would attempt to swarm Genoa to distract them, while a major Spanish expeditionary force sailed for Palermo. Sicily would then be used as a base from which to open a second attack on Italy.

These plans were ruined when a major Byzantine army moved north into Tuscany in the spring of 1539, smashing the unprepared Florentine border army at Montepulciano and penning some of them in Siena. Meanwhile, Gian I declared the Kingdom of Lombardy reborn, with major popular support, and additional support from Genoa (who had bribed everyone worth bribing) swept the Florentine garrisons from the region. The Genoan commander (and heir apparent) Julio Tettamanzi was unable to follow up with an attack on Tuscany from the north, as Angevin and Provencal forces belatedly broke into Liguria, putting Genoa under siege. The Genoan field army would construct porous lines of circumvallation around the Angevin besiegers for the remainder of the campaign season, outnumbered but (for the moment) keeping French forces out of Central Italy.

Meanwhile, the Roman Empire mopped up their siege of Siena with a frontal assault supported by cannon fire, which albeit bloody, was necessary to speed the drive on the capital itself. The large Austrian army which had been massing in Budapest was rerouted, and the Hungarian “theater” resolved itself into a series of ineffectual raids and skirmishes between the two empires’ Croatian and Serbian factors. This army came barreling out of Veneto just in time to prevent the investment of Florence by the all-conquering forces of the Commenids. Bolstered by the remnants of the Florentine army, the nucleus of the field army which had been marshalling to invade Lazio the next year, the Austro-Italian and Greco-Roman armies would clash at the fields of Impruneta, just south of the capital.

As per usual in these contests, the Austrians fielded the superior cavalry, and the Roman musketry was more disciplined and faster firing. The Catholics had a slight numerical edge, however. The battle was somewhat elongated, stretched out across a few vineyards, with farm buildings used as rally points or strongholds. An initial Florentine pike charge to test the Roman left was distracted by musketfire, but pushed on, forcing the commitment of most of the Roman cavalry, heavy lancers whose shock charges broke up the most threatening squares and ended the threat. The Romans then pushed forward a strong central assault with their (Spanish-adapted) melee squares. The Italian center wavered, but the Austrian commander, Rudolf Gleispach, had wisely held his cavalry in reserve.

The resulting double envelopment wreaked terror in the rear of the Romans, whose own pikes and melee troops had been steadily plowing through the Italian center, but were beginning to tire against the numerical advantage of their enemies. The threat of a full collapse of his flanks forced the Byzantine general Loukas Angelos to deploy his best reserves to the wings, at which point the Austro-Italian numerical advantage began to tell. Knowing he could less well afford casualties, and given his directives from Constantinople, the Greek army withdrew from the field, and following effective Austrian raids on the Byzantine supply train over the course of the autumn, from Tuscany itself.

The Byzantine army had been defeated, and with the Genoans crippled, the Italian campaign was looking very fine indeed. Still, the Austro-Florentines wondered, why had they faced a mere 30,000 Roman troops, when the Romans could easily put forward twice that number, and no large armies were being fielded in Hungary? There was no news of trouble in the East. Clearly a push for total victory in Italy was not the Eastern Emperor's goal.

And for that matter, the absence of their Spanish allies on the Italian front was beginning to be somewhat troubling. The Kingdom of Christian Spain, after all, was the true heavyweight in the coalition.

The reason for that, of course, was that Spain was fighting for her life.

"Commenids"? :p

Regardless, since most of this has been already discussed, I approve of the progress you're making. :)

Ah, it does me old heart good to see TNES stuff again. Looks good so far.

The Post-Roman Transition, 482-523.

“Did you think you’d escaped from routine
By changing the script and the scene?”
-Peter Gabriel, Down to Earth

For the last generation, the arbiters of Gaul had been the Visigoths and the Franks. Roman Emperors had been forced to carefully balance Gallic interests of one party or another, not being strong enough to dictate terms. In some ways, the situation had changed. While not destroyed by any stretch of the imagination, Visigothic power had been seriously weakened by the wars of the 470s. At the same time, Roman power, from the accretion of other forces (chiefly Riothamus’ army and liberated Roman Africa) had increased, albeit not to the extent that Emperor Anthemius could simply order either the Visigoths or the Franks about. Indeed, the field army on the Liger was still under the command of the Salian Frankish leader Childeric, who more or less did as he pleased with it. And there were still a multitude of other players – the Liger Saxons, the Burgundiones, the Alamanni, non-Salian Franks, and Alans – that complicated things to an extreme.

All of these contestants saw opportunity knock when Childeric kicked the bucket in November 482. It was not immediately clear who would replace him at the head of the Liger army. His son, one Clovis, believed himself the natural successor, but there was a wild card. Childeric’s predecessor, Ægidius, had also left behind a son, Syagrius, who commanded significant loyalty from both Franks and Romans. Internecine conflict between the two broke out over Childeric’s deathbed. At first Clovis seemed to have the upper hand: he would be able to draw on the aid of his relatives, who ruled the emerging petty Frankish dominions in Roman Belgica and Germania. But ultimately, what would grant legitimacy would be the government in Ravenna bestowing a title on one or the other of them. This would have a powerful effect on the soldiers of the field army itself, who were, at least theoretically, Roman troops, whatever their ethnicity.

Emperor Anthemius, who had only just been trying to deal with the Eastern crisis, was now thrust back into the driver’s seat. Attempting to unseat Clovis would be well and good if it worked; a dangerous rival for the Empire in Gaul would have been weakened, always a good thing. The only problem, of course, was actually getting it to work. Clovis was far from the centers of Roman power, and with the African and Iberian fronts tying down many of his Roman troops, and the Eastern failure a recent and painful memory, Roman intervention in the north to support the imperial candidate would be less than effective. Even Riothamus could not be spared, as he was fighting Saxons around Turonum. Still, the lure of hobbling the Franks and a potentially rapid revival of Roman power north of the Liger was tantalizing. Anthemius appointed Syagrius comes Senoniæ and gave him formal authority over the field army.

Clovis, of course, did not submit, and fierce fighting soon ensued north of the Liger. Formal authority certainly extended Syagrius’ power, and allowed him to land a defeat on Clovis in the winter of 483 near Augustobona, but ultimately Syagrius was unable to totally destroy his rival in one blow, and Clovis was able to escape to the protection of his Frankish relatives to the north, relying on familial patronage to accumulate more forces. For the foreseeable future, Armorica and Belgica were locked in stasis.

Even if the decision did not give Anthemius’ government control over the potent Liger field army, it neutralized another player in the Gallic game for the time being. Thus it was a perfect time to launch a Visigothic campaign. Hostilities were still more or less ongoing from the Phylarchus incident anyway. With Anthemiolus and a large part of the field army tied down in Hispania, the general Theodovius was given the task of reducing Gothic Segodunum in the western part of Aquitania, to relieve pressure on Roman lines of communication to the north and as a jump-off point for attacks into Visigothic territory. The epic siege of Segodunum, which lasted three months in autumn 483 and which was amply described in the final letters of Sidonius Apollinaris, eventually resulted in Roman victory and the capture of the city.

Sidonius’ collected correspondence thus misleadingly indicates ultimate Roman victory (in a similar fashion as Ammianus Marcellinus’ fourth-century account of the Gothic war tails off after the Battle of Hadrianoupolis). As it happened, Evareiks ably used the siege to his own advantage. The Roman army, mostly tied down, was unable to prevent Gothic raiding across the Pyrenæi and in Narbonensis. Though the Visigoths made no actual territorial gains, they were able to convert the time they gained into movable wealth, which helped ameliorate Evareiks’ financial problems. The raiding also served as a deterrent to further fighting with the Visigoths. In early 484 Evareiks came to an agreement with Anthemius’ government, providing military assistance and losing Segodunum, a fairly small price to pay for being on the losing end of several years of war and for supporting a rebel against the Emperor.

The military assistance Evareiks was to provide ended up being directed to the north. Syagrius had successfully won the first stage of the fight for the Liger army, but he fared disastrously in the sequel. In the latter part of 483 Clovis returned from Belgica and Germania with a sizable army of allied Salian Franks, along with the remnant of the Aurelianum Alans. At Durocortorum, Clovis’ army heavily defeated Syagrius’ followers, who pulled back south of the Liger. Anthemius was now forced to intervene in the north, lest he be faced with an angry and betrayed Clovis at the head of the Liger army and a large gaggle of Franks. To this end, he ended the fighting with the Visigoths, and redirected Theodovius’ army northward, both to link up with Riothamus, who had disengaged from the Saxons. The reinforcements saved Syagrius’ army, which was able to turn around and defeat Clovis decisively at Avaricum. During the pursuit after the battle, much of the Salian army was trapped against the Liger River, and either slaughtered or forced back into Roman service. Clovis himself drowned, instantly to become a heroic martyr in bad literature a millennium into the future.

The resurgent Roman Empire was somewhat derailed by Anthemius’ death of old age in 485. His eighteen year reign had seen a remarkable, Aurelianic turnaround in the position of the Roman Empire, though his life’s work was nothing like complete. Iberia, of course, was largely out of Ravenna’s control, and Gaul was still an unholy mess, despite the successful reassertion of Roman control over the Liger army. His son Anthemiolus, even more remarkably, ascended to the throne with little rancor, moving to Italy with much of the Iberian field army to forestall alternative claimants. Even so, just to secure things, he had his most militarily competent brother, Flavius Marcianus, murdered, along with Marcellinus’ nephew Iulius Nepos and the inconvenient Riothamus. He raised his own coterie to military and political prominence, as well. His brother-in-law Q. Aurelius Memmius Symmachus iunior became magister officiorum, essentially controlling the civilian machinery of the state, while Syagrius ascended to formal command of the entirety of the Gallic army, magister equitum per Gallias. Hermianus of Vesunna fame became the first holder of the post of magister militum per Hispaniæ, to signify the importance of Iberia to Anthemiolus’ military program. With these men serving him, Anthemiolus – or, to use the name history has applied, Anthemius II – began his reign auspiciously.

After quickly declaring his late father Restitutor orbis and all manner of other nice titles, Anthemius II moved to strike in Iberia while the iron was hot. Gaul, for the moment, was relatively safe. Riothamus’ troops had tried to rebel after their commander was executed, but Syagrius pacified the mutineers quickly enough. The Burgundiones were stuck in a civil war. Evareiks of the Visigoths, though nominally a foederatus of Rome, was dangerous, but was at least temporarily occupied by a revolt of Vascones in Novempopulania. The African provinces, though still under somewhat heavy attack from Mauri, were militarily secure due to the efforts of the rising-star comes Africæ Flavius Cethegus.

But what of the East? What indeed. The situation in 482 was not a stable one. Herakleios, for one, immediately began a naval buildup in the Ionian ports to provide a force with which to take back the capital. He was not the only one; Odovacar and Stephanos, and to a lesser extent Illous (who retained control of Isauria and who had managed to gain the loyalty of Martinianos’ former commander on Cyprus, one Trokondos, who, conveniently enough, was another Isaurian) also began constructing fleets. Martinianos’ fleet, which had largely departed the capital during Odovacar’s siege, was also up for grabs. Most of it ended up going to Egypt, where it found a welcome home.

This naval race was accompanied by a crescendo of military conflict on land. Pērōz of Iran and Aniran saw in the shifting loyalties at Constantinople a chance to dictate the Emperor of the Romans himself, an undeniable coup. To that end, he offered military support to Herakleios, and to recognize him as “our legitimate child”, provided, of course that Herakleios recognize the same and make certain “minor” border adjustments. The Emperor, who lacked the resources on his own to do much more than die, readily agreed, and launched an offensive in the spring of 483 into the territory of Thiudareiks Strabo to try to link up with the Sāsānian armies. This was the climax of the conflicts surrounding the collapse of the Eastern Roman state. Strabo successfully convinced Odovacar to join forces with him. At the same time, he appealed to Stephanos’ self-interest, asking him to attack Herakleios at sea and to continue to wage war with Armatos on land, to draw off the resources of those two foes.

The military confrontation that ensued is sometimes referred to as a world-historical event, which definitively set up the future of what was left of the Eastern Roman Empire. This is probably going too far. While the effects of that engagement did have wide-reaching consequences, other nonmilitary factors were involved in the outcome. Diplomatic pressures from extra-imperial sources certainly contributed to the ultimate resolution, for instance. Nevertheless, the battle that ensued at Nyssa on August 4, 483 did lend itself well to dramatic depictions and certainly seems like an event which ought to have had far-reaching consequences. Herakleios and a Sāsānian army under the command of Zarmihr of the Kārins had already linked up on the western side of the Halys River, shadowed by an Ostrogothic army under the personal command of Thiudareiks Strabo, which in turn was augmented by a force led by Odovacar’s general Thraustila. During the afternoon, the Sāsānian army fell upon that of the allies with great violence, seizing the ridge between the town and the river. Thraustila rallied the allied troops, who began a sanguinary struggle for the ridge line, while Strabo personally led an attack on a group of Sāsānian noble cavalry in the plains to the north and scattered them. As the battle stretched on into twilight, a chance arrow killed Zarmihr, and the Sāsānians scattered, fleeing across the river. Herakleios tried to keep the fight going until the Goths were forced to draw off, but was killed in the confused nighttime melee.

Immediately after the Battle of Nyssa, Pērōz was confronted with other security threats around his great domain. In Armenia and Lazikē, the great warrior and folk hero Vahan Mamikonean launched an uprising, capitalizing on Sāsānian overstretch and oppressive imperial policies. Further east, the Hayāṭila of the northeast were once again invading Sāsānian territory, laying waste to Sugd and Dihistān. With the losses suffered by Zarmihr’s army, Pērōz could no longer effectively sustain conquest in the west. Personal factors also helped motivate his opposition to the Hayāṭila incursion. For the most part, Sāsānian garrisons pulled back to the Euphrates, destroying fortifications and recovering movable wealth as they went. Armatos was left out in the cold. Herakleios’ army, command of which had devolved to one Philoxenos, was as well. Philoxenos surrendered to Thiudareiks Strabo after something of a bidding war.

The 483 coalition of allies collapsed rapidly: all of them fell out over the division of Herakleios’ stomping grounds in Ionia. Philoxenos, fighting on Strabo’s behalf, successfully evicted a small Egyptian army and fleet from Ephesos in the fall, but in turn was quickly set upon by Odovacar’s supporters. Illous’ Isaurians entered the fray, more or less allied to Odovacar, and quickly lost Cyprus to Stephanos’ fleets. Increasingly complicated and indecisive military maneuvering followed. What finally resolved the situation was the 485 odyssey of Thiudareiks Amal, the Ostrogothic prisoner that had passed into Odovacar’s possession during the fall of Constantinople. The Amal was released into Ostrogothic territory with a sizable army to support him, started a civil war and eventually managed to assassinate Thiudareiks Strabo in 486 after increasingly draining warfare, which more or less crippled the Ostrogothic state’s ability to contend for Ionia and resulted in a division of the region between Egyptian and Odovacaran spheres of influence. Not that that ended the fighting, of course. The division was de facto, not confirmed by any sort of agreement, and low-level fighting continued there for some time. The focus of warfare simply shifted to Greece, the Balkans, Isauria, and Syria for the most part.

In any event, all this was the backdrop for Hermianus’ Iberian campaigns of 485-7. After temporarily emasculating the Suebic military following a decisive engagement near Salamantica, Hermianus’ army traipsed around Carthaginensis and Bætica knocking down Bagaudæ and reconnecting important lines of patronage and. Much of his work was actually centered around reviving the governmental centers of Hispalis and Carthago Nova, reinstalling præfecti prætorio, and providing a constant presence in most of the peninsula. Most of the warfare was low-level fighting, and much of the actual campaign wasn’t even warfare but propaganda. By the end of the third year of campaigning, much of Carthaginensis was more or less back in the fold, along with the major cities along the Bætis River. Most of the gains were tenuous, given raiding from the Suebi, but given a constant military presence in the peninsula they were eminently retainable.

Shockwaves from the Frankish defeat may have helped set off the next series of events, though it’s unlikely that Clovis’ death was entirely responsible for it all. In any event, for the first time in history a stable monarchical state began to emerge in trans-Rhenic Germania: that of the Thuringii, who under the leadership of Bisen emerged as more or less hegemonic between the Rhenus and the Albis. During the 480s, Bisen, in alliance with the Heruli, is said to have inflicted military defeats on the Langobardi, who had migrated to the Danube basin during the past century. The Langobardi then continued to migrate, first through the lands of the Gepida, who failed to effectively oppose them, until by 489 many of the vanguards of the migratory movement came together again (mostly by chance) on the southern bank of the Danube at Sirmion.

Drawn further south by word of the riches of the Aegean coast, Langobards were already hiring into Odovacar’s armies. Greece itself was under serious threat from Egyptian naval power. Athens had been captured by the Egyptian general Romanos in 488, and near the ruins of Orchomenos he had followed up his victory by annihilating an army of Sciri and Romans. Odovacar needed manpower, and the Langobard migrants offered a way to ameliorate this. When more organized Langobard groups began to show up south of the Haimos in 491 and 492, Odovacar, wary of accepting autonomous groups, attempted to assassinate their leaders. This did not go over well, especially with those he failed to murder. Under what military pressure Odovacar could bring, the Langobardi eventually coalesced into a more organized body under the leadership of one Claffo. From 493 Claffo led the Langobards into Makedonia and Thrace, generally with military success, crushing Odovacar’s regime’s windpipe. Eventually the Scirian warlord was locked up in Constantinople, with Langobard, Gothic, and Egyptian troops fighting over the remnant of his domains.

In 495 Odovacar finally lost his hold on the Constantinopolitan people and was forced to flee the city. The wreckage of his ship was recovered some weeks later, which didn’t prevent myths of his survival and further adventures from arising within a decade. At any rate, Claffo had died of old age by that point, and his successor Tato entered the city. He soon began to call himself Autokratōr, employ Roman imperial symbology, and of course relied on the Roman civil service to run what territory he controlled. The Langobardic – frequently shortened to “Lombard” in later historical texts – kingdom he founded initially was composed of Thrace, Makedonia, and northern Greece. Tato’s energetic campaigning soon brought much of Moesia and Epeiros under his control as well.

Opportunities soon came a-knocking further east. Around 490, the first elements of the Banū Ġassān began migrating into Egyptian Palæstina. Initially, they were few in number, just as the Lombards had been. Many of them asked for and were granted permission to settle in Palæstina by the Egyptian-allied Salīhids, who considered them a helpful addition to manpower, as the ongoing border war with Armatid Syria was flaring up again. Within months, larger and more organized Ġassānid groups reached the limes Arabiæ, which immediately caused tension between the Salīhid and Ġassānid groups. Violence broke out in 492, which quickly went beyond the ability of the Egyptian general Dioskouros to control. Though not nearly so organized and centralized as the Lombards in Thrace, Ġassānid attacks wore down the already-weakened Salīhids. The seminal event in the conflict came in 496, with the Battle of al-Khandaq, a Ġassānid surprise attack on a fortified Salīhid camp that resulted in the destruction or capture of most of the disposable Salīhid troops and loyalists in Palæstina. With most of Stephanos’ non-Salīhid mobile forces (well, the ones that were worth a damn) tied up in Anatolia or Greece, the Ġassānids soon found themselves more or less the masters of all of Roman Palæstina.

Masters of Palæstina or not, the Ġassānid tribes were disorganized in the extreme. Confronted with no immediate enemies, they rapidly began quarreling among themselves. What was left of the Egypto-Roman foederati structure started to rally as well, creating even more of a problem. In 497, Stephanos in Alexandria stepped in with a solution, which he proposed to the Ġassānid chieftain al-Harith ibn Hijr: the Ġassānids, with al-Harith as the Egyptian-sponsored phylarchos, would take over the structure of Arab foederati that the Salīhids had hitherto maintained. With Egyptian support and legitimation, al-Harith defeated and subdued his rivals and moved most of the Ġassānids to the region around Skythoupolis, near Galilee. Ġassānid-organized troops halted an opportunistic Syrian offensive south of Kaisereia Paneias in the autumn of 497, though they could not prevent the loss of the Phoenikeian coastline.

The Syrians were in a position to do such things because they were experiencing something of a military renaissance even with the withdrawal of direct Sāsānian support. Armatos’ death in 489 had opened up the command of his armies – still not really a “Syrian state” – to his sons, of whom one Sergios eventually emerged the leader. Sergios took the title autokratōr, as had all of the Eastern Roman Emperors, and coined with that title. His pretensions seemed to find backing in the 490s. By 493, Illous’ Isaurians had been dug out of their mountain strongholds, albeit at a high cost in blood and treasure. Sergios was also able to benefit from the 496 death of Thiudareiks Amal in battle against the Lombards in Bithynia, after which it became readily apparent just how weak the Gothic “state” actually was. Syrian troops rapidly overran Gothic Kappadokia, while western Gothic possessions either rebelled under semi-independent or Bagaudic rulers, or were conquered by Lombard or Egyptian forces. Eventually one Gesaleiks rallied a ragtag collection of Roman and Gothic soldiers around him and carved out territory in Phrygia and Galatia, but it was a sad remnant of Strabo’s state, and posed little security threat to Sergian Syria.

And finally, even Sāsānian pressure on Sergios decreased. Pērōz had had his own problems. Having elected to deal with the problem of the Hayāṭila himself, the šāh-an-šāh gathered a remarkably vast army and rode into Gurgān in 489. Just as they had thirty years prior, the Hayāṭila destroyed his army, but this time, they slaughtered Pērōz as well. His brother, Balāš, attempted to seize the throne, but he was defeated and imprisoned by the remnant of Pērōz’s army, which was led by Pērōz’s son Kavādh, who became šāh-an-šāh instead. Kavādh managed to make peace with the Hayāṭila, but he refused to come to terms with the Mamikonean rebels in Armenia, who had busily been destroying Sāsānian fire-temples and committing all kinds of sacrilege, as Christians are wont to do. Kavādh foolishly entrusted the army that was to fight the Mamikoneans to the Mihrān noble Šābuhr, who was promptly defeated. Immediately Kavādh was faced with an uprising by the Kārin family, who broke Balāš out of prison and marched on Tīsifōn. By 491 Balāš was back in the saddle, Kavādh was dead, and the Mamikoneans were soon pacified by an offer of autonomy. Balāš himself was a relatively mild man, who was uninterested in prosecuting foreign wars (one of the reasons Kavādh had been able to unseat him in the first place) and relatively tolerant of Christians. He campaigned, as did all šāh-an-šāhs, but it was mostly in Sugd and to the east, far from the locus of conflict in the remnant of the Roman Empire. He gave little thought to trying to control the Syrians, unlike his late brother.

In any event, Syria was rapidly becoming militarily protagonistic. So in an odd way, it was fortunate that al-Harith and the Ġassānids entered the picture when they did, because otherwise, it’s unlikely the Egyptians could have warded off the Syrian military. Egypt’s problem was compounded by the death of Stephanos of old age in 498. Naturally, his child-king successor, Antiochos, didn’t actually exercise much power, which tended to lie in the hands of his family and the extemporized Egyptian military. Antiochos’ mother, Vigilantia, formed a good working relationship with the general Dioskouros, and successfully steered the government during Antiochos’ minority. Tacit arrangements with the Lombards in Greece and the Aegean littoral ended most of the fighting there, while Egyptian sponsorship of Gesaleiks in Anatolia permitted them to take the Syrians between two fires. The result was a slow, grinding campaign in northern Palæstina, during the course of which the Egyptians managed to eventually gain the upper hand. In 500, the Egyptian general Areoubindos united his army with several thousand of al-Harith’s Ġassānids to bring Damaskos under siege, albeit unsuccessfully.

This frenetic fighting and maneuvering in the East made matters significantly simpler for Anthemius II in Ravenna. For the first few years of the 490s, all he really had to deal with was the constant, but easily checked, Mauri pressure in Africa, and with watching his back against the Visigoths. Iberia was once again the focus. Anthemius II had learned the right lessons from his father’s problems against Phylarchus, and quickly kicked Hermianus upstairs to the post of magister utriusque militiæ in 491 as soon as fighting against the Visigoths died down again. Syagrius, in northern Gaul, was less of a problem to manage, since he wasn’t particularly powerful by himself. He was also occupied with fighting Franks, Alamanni, and Burgundiones and had little time to spare on plotting to seize the throne or any similar nonsense. Anyway, under various different commanders, the Roman reassertion of control over Iberia proceeded slowly, but steadily. A Suebic attempt to interfere in 495 was smashed at Pallantia, which more or less sealed off Tarraconensis for the Roman government. Slightly over half the peninsula was in Roman control after nearly two decades of concerted action, improving the solvency of the Roman exchequer tremendously.

Visigothic weakness bred weakness. After 497, when Evareiks died, internal squabbles started between supporters of the Roman foedus and its opponents, which reduced Visigothic combat power even further. Fresh raiding by the Vascones into southern Aquitania exacerbated the problem even further. Despite the foedus, which was still formally extant, in 499 Anthemius began amassing an army under his personal command to take advantage of this temporary Gothic weakness, which marched in the spring of 500. It ended up being diverted from the Visigoths by the Burgundiones, who had temporarily managed to coalesce under a single ruler (one Godomar) to launch a surprisingly effective invasion of Roman Arelate. Godomar’s invaders were driven back through able campaigning on the part of the Romans, who then inflicted a heavy defeat on them on the Isara River during the winter of 500-501. In exchange for some of the Burgundiones’ territory, a formal agreement on Burgundian coinage rights (more on that later) and a foedus codifying Burgundian military obligations to the Empire, Anthemius made Godomar a dux and provided him military support and legitimacy against his internal enemies, who had reared their heads after the defeat on the Isara.

By the time Burgundian matters were cleared up, it was already 503. A fresh Visigothic leader, Sigereiks II, had assumed control in Aquitania, proved his military power by temporarily halting raids from Vasconia, and was busily prosecuting a campaign against the whipping-boy Saxons of Portus Namnetum in hopes of enlisting defeated Saxons into his army. Even though he had been the head of the Visigothic party opposed to the Roman foedus, Sigereiks was not stupid; by now he could probably not hope to win a war against the Romans, with their Iberian resources and their Burgundian shock-troops. At the same time, he knew that many of his supporters would drift away if something were not done about the Romans’ power. An apocryphal story goes that Sigereiks thus treated with the Thuringii and Gepida, inviting them to make war on the Empire; this is unlikely to have been within the scope of his diplomatic contacts. Besides, both of these powers had other reasons to attack Roman territory. The Romans had been somewhat delinquent in their maintenance of their eastern frontiers, what with the concentration of Iberia and Gaul. The Gepid king Trasereiks – the first of them to actually assume the title of rex – needed to recoup prestige from defeats against the Lombards in Moesia, and Rome seemed like the perfect target.

So in 504, Anthemius II’s field army was forced to make tracks east to shore up suddenly-failing eastern defenses against Thuringian and Gepid raids. Rome’s difficulties were magnified by the defeat of a Burgundian army by the suddenly-protagonistic Alamanni during that summer. Syagrius assumed command of Godomar’s weakened troops, but it was all he could do to defend Roman territory, much less take the offensive. By next year, the pressure became so intense that troops were detached from the Iberian army under the command of one Verinianus to stem the tide in Gaul. Anthemius’ personal field army drew a major battle with the Gepida at the ruins of Iulia Æmona in 506, and the magister militum per Illyricum, Flavius Eventius, was killed in the same year fighting off an (unsuccessful) raid on Salona.

Eventually, though, the nature of the enemies against whom Anthemius was fighting helped the Romans overcome the problem. In 507, Trasereiks’ Gepida were the first to pull out, spurred by pressure on their southern and eastern frontiers from Lombards and Antes. Later that year, Anthemius’ personal field army defeated the Thuringii in a surprise winter attack on a Thuringian encampment near Ovilva in Noricum. With the costs of war too high to safely continue, the Thuringii headed back over the Danube, busying themselves with easier pickings from the Alamanni. Only the Visigoths remained, and they quickly attempted to make a settlement for themselves, realizing their peril. Verinianus, on Anthemius’ orders, rejected their terms, and annihilated Sigereiks’ retinue in 509 near Campus Vogladensis, in temporary alliance with the Saxons. With Sigereiks and most of his anti-foedus followers gone, saner heads prevailed among the Visigoths, who raised Thiudes as their leader and asked for terms. The Romans granted them, confining the Goths to parts of Aquitania II, along with other sundry terms to be included in the foedus.

By Anthemius II’s death of dysentery in 512, Rome’s situation had been transformed. The emperors at Ravenna effectively controlled most of Iberia, much of Gaul, Africa, and Illyricum, and Italy was been more or less peaceful and undisturbed by raids for decades. Fiscally, the Roman government was nearly back on the footing on which it had been a century prior. It was clearly stronger than all its neighbors and in fact dominated most of them. Militarily, the crisis of the fifth century had passed. Economically, though, the Empire was still having problems. Though the grain conduit from Africa had been restored, improving the situation in Italy drastically, the currency of the Empire was still in a state of hyperinflation. The gold solidus had more or less retained its value, but the bronze and copper coins that most Romans used in their daily transactions, the folles and the nummi, had been coined at disastrously high rates by not only the Roman emperors, but also the various semi-independent groups that had taken control of parts of Roman territory – the Suebi, Visigoths, and Burgundiones in particular.

Anthemius II had had no sons, but his sister Alypia had. It will be remembered that Alypia had been married to the patricius Ricimerus in the 460s, but the union had been barren before Ricimerus’ death in civil war in the 470s. Alypia was promptly married off again to a Gallic aristocrat, one Apollinaris, son of a certain præfectus urbi, and produced several children, the eldest of which bore the name Procopius. This Procopius peacefully ascended to the throne on his uncle’s death, and after the usual months spent establishing contacts and ensuring loyalty among the armies, embarked on a series of reforms to fix the fiscal and bureaucratic problems left over from the fifth century. In this he was aided by his superlative magister officiorum, the similarly-aged An. Manlius Severinus Boethius, son of a fairly illustrious Italian family.

With the frontiers still relatively quiet, Procopius put his fiscal ideas into implementation first. His uncle had already begun to alleviate the problem somewhat by limiting the rights of the Roman foederati to coin money in his treaties with them during the 500s. The new emperor followed up by installing Roman mint officials in the territory of these foederati to enforce these limitations and keep the number of Gothic or Burgundian coins in line with the imperial ones. Though Procopius probably was unaware of the actual monetary reasons behind his reforms, and treated the whole problem as a matter of internal security, asserting central power over the foederati, and propaganda, the effort helped tremendously. The weights of the folles, nummi, and the silver miliarenses were standardized again, and although Procopius’ decrees formally codifying the exchange rate between the solidi and the other coins (punishable by death) had less effect than he would have expected, the rate stayed more or less stable anyway because the coins weren’t debased. Inflation leveled off dramatically in the decade following the 513 coinage reforms as the Roman currency regained confidence, and lower-level exchange in the provinces was slowly remonetized.

Of course, a coinage reform was well and good, but it had to be combined with some other measures to be really effective. Fortunately, there was scope for that as well. For some time, Anthemius II had been able to build up something of a reserve, as conquered territories brought in more money than they required for defense. (This was especially true of much of Iberia.) By 516, the reserve had increased in size to 14 million solidi, enough for Procopius to consider a new expedient. Two hundred years prior, the Emperor Diocletianus had introduced a series of tax reforms that demonetized the Roman military’s compensation system to a great extent. Diocletianus had created state warehouses that supplied arms and armor to soldiers to justify reducing soldiers’ cash pay, and had converted many taxes from in-cash to in-kind payments. Procopius put a price on soldiers’ arms and armor again, but raised cash payments more than enough to compensate for the new expenses. He converted many in-kind tax assessments back to cash ones, save in areas close to major army bases and in Africa. And for good measure, he repealed a hated quinquennial tax on commerce, a relatively minor source of revenue, which endeared him to the merchantry.

Finally, Procopius’ government undertook sweeping bureaucratic reforms, more widespread than the usual half-assed crackdowns on corruption that most rulers like to play up. Essentially, Boethius introduced a new series of offices, the vindices, which amounted to somewhat controlled tax-farmers, situated chiefly in cities. This didn’t eliminate corruption by any stretch, and in fact encouraged its existence to an extent, but overall the measure seems to have reduced revenue loss. What probably increased tax revenues more than the anticorruption measures was a combination of the recovery of large swathes of territory over the past several decades, plus a minor population boom connected in part to the reestablishment of the African trade spine.

All in all, Procopius and his advisors put the Roman government on the firmest fiscal footing it had had since the 370s. Militarily, too, the Empire was doing much better. Syagrius’ replacement as magister equitum per Gallias, Verinianus, continued to expand imperial territory in the north. Between 513 and 517 he fought a series of campaigns against the Saxons of Portus Namnetum that ended in the Saxons’ destruction as an effective political and military unit. His counterpart in Iberia, Marinus, gained the epithet Germanicus maximus by finally annihilating the troublesome Suebi under their leader, Malareiks, at the 514 Battle of Lucus Augusti. Tactically, Lucus Augusti was fairly uninspired, but it broke the back of the fighting forces still loyal to non-imperial authorities, and economically it ended the last major non-imperial minting operation on Roman soil, a significant boost to the Roman economy and the Roman propaganda machine. The major downside of these years was the catastrophic defeat of the pro-Roman Mauri ruler Masuna, who died in battle against a coalition of other Mauri kings near Lambæsis. This set back Roman progress in Africa some years, though it did not seriously endanger the major economic production regions of Byzacena and Zeugitana.

While the Roman Empire was experiencing an economic revival, the eastern states finally began to settle into a kind of equilibrium for the time being. Unichis, Tato’s brother, who succeeded him in 508, drove Egyptian armies out of the Peloponnese in two years of fighting, aided no doubt by a renewed Syrian advance in the east. Even more remarkably, Egypt’s distractions allowed Unichis to seize control of Gothia in central Anatolia during a power-struggle in 511-2. To fob off the Ostrogoths themselves, Unichis established an Ostrogothic viceroy, but it was he who manipulated the proceedings from Constantinople himself. Unichis’ reign rapidly developed into a semblance of golden age for the Aegean littoral, which he controlled, more or less. He accentuated the Roman-era distinctions between army and society, as well, creating a semi-official distinction between the army – which was the province of “Lombards” – and the civilian administration, which was staffed by “Romans”. Even though Lombards and other Germanic soldiers themselves made up less than half of the actual troop numbers, the Romans who made up the remainder had inured themselves to the “barbarian” topos that exemplified the Roman army’s self-image from the fourth century onward. He also did the usual nonsense, issued a fresh law code, and acted with general benevolence such that his reign would be romanticized to a near-ridiculous degree by later historians.

Antiochos of Egypt had finally reached the throne in 511, using the regency’s military failures in Greece and Syria to effectively oust Dioskouros and confine Vigilantia to the women’s quarters in the new Alexandrian palatial complex. He came to a formal agreement with the Syrian ruler Sergios three years later, the terms of which gave the Phoinikeian coastline to the Egyptians, but saw Cyprus and Libanensis (the Greek region of Syria Koile) confirmed in Syrian possession. Both rulers called each other basileis in the actual treaty, but each coined in his own territories as autokratōr after 519, following in Unichis’ lead. After the military failures of the regency, Antiochos generally initiated a rollback on military spending, instead focusing chiefly on relations with his pet archbishops of Alexandria and Jerusalem and intra-Christian relations.

This was a thorny topic, to say the least. The see of Jerusalem was heavily Chalkedōnian, which impeded efforts to impose a common religious policy on all Egyptian territory. Efforts to replace the Chalkedōnian Archbishop Elias with the Miaphysite Anastasios II in 520 went badly almost right off the bat, with riots erupting in several cities across Palæstina. Next year, Elias was quietly reinstated, which provoked an attempted coup by several Miaphysite admirals in Alexandria. Antiochos managed to put the mutineers down, but his lack of military credentials showed rather glaringly. He attempted to alleviate the problem by launching some semi-useless punitive expeditions to the south, to harass the Blemmyes of the Erythraian coast, but it was a poor replacement for military success to legitimize his regime.

Balāš, šāh-an-šāh of Iran and Aniran, had remained relatively quiet and inactive until his end in 509. His son and successor, Yazdgard III, was almost immediately faced with greater problems. Balāš had relied on the power of the great Kārin family, but personal ties bound Yazdgard more closely to their rivals the Mihrāns and the Ispahbudhān. A relatively bloodless coup availed Yazdgard’s allies of many of the great offices of state. His close ally Vistāhm of the Ispahbudhān became ērān-spāhbed of the West, and it appeared clear that Yazdgard was planning on a 513 campaign against his wayward Syrian “puppets”, to bring them into line.

What broke this plan into pieces was the flare-up of a major upheaval in Sāsānian society, the revolt of Mazdak. Mazdak, a priest espousing a somewhat heretical variant of Zoroastrianism, had gained significant popularity in the decade or so prior to the ascension of Yazdgard to the throne. His ideas are generally considered to be “communist” in the most literal sense, i.e. of wanting to establish communes and to share all resources communally. (Applying this tenet to women, of which Mazdak apparently also approved, led to a proliferation of lurid stories, especially in the Roman East.) He also apparently wasn’t too keen on the nobility. Can’t imagine why. Mazdak’s ideas apparently got quite popular at the court of Balāš, and only spread further when Yazdgard ascended to the throne. In 512 or thereabouts, Yazdgard apparently decided that enough was enough, and launched an offensive against this enemy of the established social order, ordering that Mazdakis be rounded up and their leaders executed.

Possibly Yazdgard wanted to make his domestic situation less dangerous before starting out in his western war, but he miscalculated colossally. The diffused Mazdaki movement was too hard to kill at a single stroke, and rapidly hit back. Waves of stereotypical oppressed peasant types flooded into the countryside, plundering estates and killing stray notables. All hope of any Western offensive was dropped as Yazdgard scrambled to find an effective military solution to the violence. More problematically, the Hayāṭila opportunistically picked this time to start raiding widely in the northeast again, sacking Tūs in 514. Yazdgard’s erstwhile ally Vistāhm turned on him in 517 in the midst of his failure to deal with the Mazdaki problem, executing him and replacing him with his cousin Hormizd IV, a mere child. In 518, Mazdak himself was captured and publically executed to erase any possibility of crypto-Mazdakism, but the movement itself continued to sputter on until 520, when it was finally suppressed, albeit with the side consequence of badly weakening the aristocracy. Hormizd himself then managed to drive back the Hayāṭila in a climactic 521 battle near Abaršahr, and spent the next few years cleaning house in his administration.

By 523, it was clear that Procopius was planning something. Iberia was basically back in Roman hands, and Africa was as quiet as it was going to get. Pointedly, Procopius’ regime had engaged in very little to no obvious diplomacy in the East, refusing to recognize any of the would-be autokratōres and their pretensions. Only one military confrontation of note had occurred, with the Lombards over the city of Sirmion in 521. The magister militum per Illyricum, one Vitalianus, had briefly made a play for the city, but withdrew in the face of Lombard reinforcements, despite having superior numbers and probably superior troop quality. Apparently, this was per imperial orders, as Vitalianus was not only not sacked, but would remain at his post for some time. At more or less the same time, more flotsam arrived in Armorica, in the form of several thousand Britannic soldiers, some of whom were enrolled in the Gallic field army, others of which were settled along the northern Armorican coast. Shipbuilding activities also accelerated in Aquitanian and Armorican ports.

So it’s probably just as well that we end our little survey of the post-Roman world here, before things really start to change.

OOC: More Easter eggs abound! Again, constructive comments/criticism almost required.

Spoiler Post-Antique World, 523 :

Going a little overboard with the Balkans-Italy parallels, don't you think? :p Anyway, fantastic. I don't really have any sensible comments, but since you asked I'll try.

It seems like things are going a bit too easily for the west. I know that's the point, but the impression I got was that they went thirty years without any real setbacks, which seems a bit improbable. In particular, the fiscal effect of Procopius' reforms does seem a bit too drastic. The coinage economy outside of Italy took a hit when the imperial mints in Gaul and Spain shut down; there's not that much coinage sloshing around by the late fifth century compared to the fourth century or the contemporary east. Rome can change that, of course, but it's expensive and won't happen over night, and in the interim surely changing to a coinage-based taxation is going to hurt either the provincials, since they don't have enough to pay, or the Italians, since they do. And speaking of the provincials, how's the reintegration of the provincial elites with the Roman state going? Is the show mostly run by Italians?

Assuming the Ghassanids are more or less as interested in religious patronage as OTL, and have that same tendency to think of themselves as guardians of the Holy Land, I'd assume that the Patriarch of Jerusalem is going to have to ally with them eventually, right? So are we going to get a sort of distinctly Arab Christianity valiantly holding Jerusalem against heretics and fire-worshipers? Because that would be really cool.

What's happening with the Lakhmids? They had Mundhir at this point OTL; I guess he's not around, but they still should be near the peak of their power, particularly with fewer losses to the Byzantines. Of course, without the ERE I suppose these Persians don't need them as much, and the Lakhmids probably don't get as much out of the alliance with Persia either, so are things are fraying between them? Have they taken sides in the Persian civil wars at all?
Shipbuilding activities also accelerated in Aquitanian and Armorican ports.
Is this state shipbuilding or private?

Yay I...kind of won? :undecide:

Going a little overboard with the Balkans-Italy parallels, don't you think? :p
They're only ham-handed for a few people, you know. :mischief: It is a rut, yeah. Shouldn't last that much longer, though.
Perfectionist said:
It seems like things are going a bit too easily for the west. I know that's the point, but the impression I got was that they went thirty years without any real setbacks, which seems a bit improbable.
No major ones, true enough. Then again, the last few decades have mostly been quiet in general, which is a big part of it. I have exactly zero intention of turning the (W)RE into a Mary Sue, though, trust me. In the long term, anyway.
Perfectionist said:
In particular, the fiscal effect of Procopius' reforms does seem a bit too drastic. The coinage economy outside of Italy took a hit when the imperial mints in Gaul and Spain shut down; there's not that much coinage sloshing around by the late fifth century compared to the fourth century or the contemporary east. Rome can change that, of course, but it's expensive and won't happen over night,
Using vague adjectives like I did made it seem impressive on purpose, because otherwise I couldn't have blown three paragraphs on something nonmilitary. It's also partially because I'm kind of trying to plan ahead. But you're right, the effects are too fast, even accounting for a decade of screwing around since then. I built a little bit of vagueness into exactly how remonetized the economy actually is in the language, too. It's still nowhere near on a par with the contemporary East, except in Italy and maybe Africa, much less the OTL East.
Perfectionist said:
And speaking of the provincials, how's the reintegration of the provincial elites with the Roman state going? Is the show mostly run by Italians?
During Anthemius II's reign, Italians tended to get the majority of offices, not so much because of poor elite management but because there just weren't that many Gallic aristocrats available for use. Syagrius managed to get a lot of them into Gallic army field commands, which alleviated the situation to a degree. Integration of Iberian elites lagged even farther, but they aren't as important as the Gallic ones so it's not as big of a deal. :p Procopius has done a better job of parceling out offices to the Gauls, since he's got much better family connections there than his uncle did. Italians are still most obviously the ones in charge though. The clock hasn't been turned back to Valentinianus I.
Perfectionist said:
What's happening with the Lakhmids? They had Mundhir at this point OTL; I guess he's not around, but they still should be near the peak of their power, particularly with fewer losses to the Byzantines. Of course, without the ERE I suppose these Persians don't need them as much, and the Lakhmids probably don't get as much out of the alliance with Persia either, so are things are fraying between them? Have they taken sides in the Persian civil wars at all?
During the reigns of Balāš and Yazdgard, the Lakhmids and the Persians weren't getting along very well at all, correct. Part of the reasoning behind Hormizd's projected western campaign, other than papering over the mess his domestic situation still is, is to rally a lot of the great families and the Lakhmids behind his relatively new regime. Same thing lay behind Yazdgard's supposed western campaign, of course, but that didn't end well. In the civil wars, the Lakhmids were players, but compared to the great families they didn't really exert that much power or influence on the proceedings. They ended up coming out no worse for wear, but not really able to effectively take advantage of the Persian internal conflicts.
Perfectionist said:
and in the interim surely changing to a coinage-based taxation is going to hurt either the provincials, since they don't have enough to pay, or the Italians, since they do.
Perfectionist said:
Assuming the Ghassanids are more or less as interested in religious patronage as OTL, and have that same tendency to think of themselves as guardians of the Holy Land, I'd assume that the Patriarch of Jerusalem is going to have to ally with them eventually, right? So are we going to get a sort of distinctly Arab Christianity valiantly holding Jerusalem against heretics and fire-worshipers? Because that would be really cool.
Perfectionist said:
Is this state shipbuilding or private?
Last timeline, it was das who was doing the spoiling, dude. :sad: :crazyeye:
Yay I...kind of won? :undecide:
:confused:

Top Bottom