always behind in tech

Cindee74014

Chieftain
I build the Great Library and stay ahead for a time, then it all crashes and burns. Other civs are ALWAYS ahead of me. Any ideas?

As I said in your other post, empire management is crucial. In general, build lots of workers and build roads with them on every tile your citizens work. Build useful buildings and try to balance the budget. Tell us moore about what level you play at, who you are playing as and other info, so we can be more specific help.

My advice: post a save and tell us your general playstyle and strategy.

Not sure what level your playing on, ive played 3 games now all on regent... the first game i was behind tech wise, the last game i abandoned when i got so far ahead it was unchallenging...so onto monarch for me now.

The main differences in my style of play are not dramatic really...

more workers

DONT over irrigate... if that city has excess food, is size twelve and your a way off hospitals.. then get some mines down!

I tend to put cities closer to get more from my land ...again 12 is max size for a long time so some overlap is fine for a while

I do tech trade, on MY turn ;) and if an island map put a bit of effort into getting contact early..

Civs...i like archipelo maps 70% water.... i find the english do extremely well on this map... ive read man o wars are underpowered, but i love them, they rule the seas for ages, and make a Golden Age easy to trigger.

Anyway i have only played a few games, and i probably am not the best to advise,but thats how i went from struggling at regent to finding it too easy..

I build the Great Library and stay ahead for a time, then it all crashes and burns. Other civs are ALWAYS ahead of me. Any ideas?

I am playing on Monarch level. Will definitely add more workers, not a unit I focus on. I usually build as many cities as possible at the beginning, then I just like making war so focus on attacking others and building cavalry or other attack units.

My last attempt I barely made any military units but still could not keep up tech wise so I will try another game and build a bunch of workers. Thanks for listening

I am playing on Monarch level.( won at other leverls several times) Will definitely add more workers, not a unit I focus on. I usually build as many cities as possible at the beginning, then I just like making war so focus on attacking others and building cavalry or other attack units.

My last attempt I barely made any military units but still could not keep up tech wise so I will try another game and build a bunch of workers. Thanks for listening

Dont like playing with boats so I pick the land that is mostly one continent

. . . .My last attempt I barely made any military units but still could not keep up tech wise . . . .
Please forgive me if this is a silly question, but have you located the science slider? I'm not being a smart-aleck here, but the comment above makes me wonder if you're perhaps leaving it set at 50%, which is where it is when you start a new game.

I am playing on Monarch level.( won at other leverls several times) Will definitely add more workers, not a unit I focus on. I usually build as many cities as possible at the beginning, then I just like making war so focus on attacking others and building cavalry or other attack units.

Dont like playing with boats so I pick the land that is mostly one continent

Well finally won my monarch game last night, but might stay there a while.. couple of questions cindee?

I take it your using artillery with your cavalry etc?. I had hell the first time i tried a war against a decent opponent, because i didnt bother with artillery...

One thing that sometimes works...is getting a monopoly on a wierd tech (such as music theory) then trading it to every AI on the same turn... im guessing you do that?

What goverment do you tend to go for?. I will probably be corrected now, but i find republic fantastic for just about everything... i never bother going for democracy, and go straight to democracy.

GA... was thinking about this last night, its a period where everything seems to fly...but only useful if out of despotism..

Top Bottom