Amani and +4 amenities promotion

Art Morte

Prince
I went into a dark age and started losing loyalty in a city. The city had either 0 or +1 amenities. I put Amani in there with the +4 amenities in this city promotion. But even after she's established there the city still has only +1 amenities. Meaning that the +4 amenities are really just added to your overall amenities pool.

So, what's the point of this promotion? Next to useless, imo.

+4 amenities is +4 amenities. Not useless. It's just being spread around. Think of it like a global happiness system. Not as extreme as civ5's system thankfully. I use this promotion a lot.

+4 amenities is +4 amenities. Not useless. It's just being spread around. Think of it like a global happiness system. Not as extreme as civ5's system thankfully. I use this promotion a lot.
+4 amenities is very little, most of the time it won't make a difference one way or another.

But my main gripe is with the fact that the promotion says +4 in the city where Amani is in. But that's just not the case in effect. If it was +4 in the city on top of the "normal" amenities it'd be a decent promotion, now I just don't think it works as intended / advertised.

now I just don't think it works as intended / advertised.

I think this is the important issue - it's pretty necessary that game mechanics actually do what they're described as doing. If you've got a city that's in danger of going into rebellion, or if you're Scotland and you want a particular city to be Ecstatic, it's important that Amani's bonus amenities are going where they're supposed to be. Otherwise change the promotion's description!

I think this is the important issue - it's pretty necessary that game mechanics actually do what they're described as doing. If you've got a city that's in danger of going into rebellion, or if you're Scotland and you want a particular city to be Ecstatic, it's important that Amani's bonus amenities are going where they're supposed to be. Otherwise change the promotion's description!

I suspect it's both true and misleading at the same time.

When you build an Entertainment District or an Arena, they add +1 Amenity to that city, too. And certain policy cards give Amenities to particular cities. I suspect Amani works the same way, giving that city +4 Amenities.

But then the Luxury allocation mechanism kicks in and roughly equalizes empire-wide happiness by allocating your Luxuries to low Amenity cities first. So the bonus you get from Amani in that particular city is likely being offset by Luxuries no longer being allocated to her city, and being used elsewhere instead.

When you build an Entertainment District or an Arena, they add +1 Amenity to that city, too. And certain policy cards give Amenities to particular cities. I suspect Amani works the same way, giving that city +4 Amenities.

But then the Luxury allocation mechanism kicks in and roughly equalizes empire-wide happiness by allocating your Luxuries to low Amenity cities first. So the bonus you get from Amani in that particular city is likely being offset by Luxuries no longer being allocated to her city, and being used elsewhere instead.

Yeah, it sounds to me like whoever designed that promotion momentarily forgot how luxuries/amenities work as a mechanic in Civ VI... :p

This is probably spot on. The player is trying to do the super-boost and the mechanics of the game are like, "city is fine, time to spread these around where they'll do the most good!" Too funny.

This is probably spot on. The player is trying to do the super-boost and the mechanics of the game are like, "city is fine, time to spread these around where they'll do the most good!" Too funny.

So it's like a free luxury item? That doesn't seem too bad . . .

There's a narrow case scenario that could confirm if I'm right, and under which Amani would be a super boost to just that city. If you have 4 or less cities, then every city gets +1 Amenity from every Luxury you own and the luxury allocation system has nothing to do. In that situation, a boosted Amani's city should get the benefit of her entire +4 Amenities.

I mean due to how the game reallocates your luxury resources on the back end that is how amenities work. Its the same as when you build an entertainment complex in a particular city and your amenities stay the same since the game simply moved a luxury resource somewhere else.

There's a narrow case scenario that could confirm if I'm right, and under which Amani would be a super boost to just that city. If you have 4 or less cities, then every city gets +1 Amenity from every Luxury you own and the luxury allocation system has nothing to do. In that situation, a boosted Amani's city should get the benefit of her entire +4 Amenities.
Or, if the city she's in is small and you're low on luxuries overall, you could see if that city keeps four even if the total extra in the city is more than the extra luxuries in other cities.

I'll keep an eye on this next game....

This promotion is useless if used as a global amenity, even with just 4 cities it’s pretty poor. As local amenities it is pretty strong but not OP. I had just assumed it was local and am saddened it is not. I never got the promo anyway but it would be a fun alternative thing that may be useful.
I doubt it affects CS, will have to check it out.

Am I figuring this promotion wrong, but isn't 4 amenities equivalent to 4 luxuries? That seems pretty good to me.

No, it's equivalent to one luxury (also 4 amenities), but arguably better, since up to all 4 of those amenities are (near as we can tell) applied to the one city, thereby freeing up other amenities that were being used in that city for use where (the game decides) they are needed.

No, it's equivalent to one luxury (also 4 amenities), but arguably better, since up to all 4 of those amenities are (near as we can tell) applied to the one city, thereby freeing up other amenities that were being used in that city for use where (the game decides) they are needed.

That could also make it worse.

...what I'm seeing in this thread is we're really not sure how it works, how it's supposed to work, if it's working, or if it's not.

I <3 Civ6 systems sometimes.

Top Bottom