American Civil War - JPetroski vs Techumseh

techumseh

Deity
John and I are starting a game of American Civil War, an old scenario of mine made for 2 players. He's the Confederates and I'm playing as the Union. We will post our save games here, along with commentary. It's played on a gigamap of the eastern and central United States in 1860.

Title.gif

My second turn. Ships of the Union Navy depart their home ports. Their destination has not been disclosed by the Secretary of War.

Image1.png

There are a couple of turns before war breaks out, so no action yet. The players must research "Unionism" and "Confederacy" respectively before war is declared.

Attachments

• Union1861jan.rar
    50 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I appreciate the invitation - I badly need to restore some Civ2 Mojo so I can get cracking on OTR and Cold War again.

No news - just trying to figure out how to defend a brave new nation.

Attachments

• Rebels1861feb.zip
    66.5 KB · Views: 4
Rebels declare confederacy - a call goes out for the navy to muster, but it's not looking good.

1715518693124.png

Attachments

• Rebels1861mar.zip
    67.4 KB · Views: 4
I think the rebels start with a frigate and a couple of transports, which is pretty generous imo. The accounts I read indicated that the Confederates had no effective navy at the start of the war. Eg. "Battle Cry of Freedom" by James McPherson, p. 314.
The problem seems to find enough information about these 14 "seaworthy" CSS vessels. Conway´s All The Worlds Fighting Ships 1860-1905 on page 136 only mentions, that the side-wheel ships CSS Gaines and CSS Morgan with partial 2 inch protection and the adapted merchant ships CSS Governor Moore, CSS Jamestown, CSS Patrick Henry and CSS Selma (CSS Florida) were among them.

But the main reason for my earlier post about the CSS Navy was to add an animated ironclad to this thread, as I think it gives more flavor to this story when real gunfire animation can be seen. In this sense: Here is the gunboat CSS Chattahoochee, so only in service since early 1863:

Chattahoochee.gif

Last edited:
The problem seems to find enough information about these 14 "seaworthy" CSS vessels. Conway´s All The Worlds Fighting Ships 1860-1905 on page 136 only mentions, that the side-wheel ships CSS Gaines and CSS Morgan with partial 2 inch protection and the adapted merchant ships CSS Governor Moore, CSS Jamestown, CSS Patrick Henry and CSS Selma (CSS Florida) were among them.

But the main reason for my earlier post about the CSS Navy was to add an animated ironclad to this thread, as I think it gives more flavor to this story when real gunfire animation can be seen. In this sense: Here is the gunboat CSS Chattahoochee, so only in service since early 1863:

View attachment 690921
They are excellent. Do you have others from the Civil War?

They are excellent. Do you have others from the Civil War?
The animations were done from Civ 3 units in the "Age of Ironclads" created by Delta_Strife. They can be found here and include even the CSS and Early USN ships. The best is, all these units are small enough so they can be converted into high class animated Civ 2 ToT units (64x64 box).

Top Bottom