Any one up for a Pitboss game?

Me!

But... never played with Pitboss before, so would need a helping hand to get me through the beginning...

I will sign up. :) Do we have a host? Idea for the map, settings?

I am interested in trying a pitboss game with NO RULES. That includes NO doublemove rules, no espionage rules, no unit swapping rules, just no rules whatsoever. Reloads only for host-CPU related lockouts, and nothing else, NOTHING. NO pauses, no nothing, just play.

I just think such a game would have less quitting less reloads and less delays. Any thoughts I am eager to hear.

Double-moves are the single problem I have with that. In live play, you both have equal opportunity to double-move. In Pitboss with a long timer (that can be manipulated somewhat), one player may be at work or asleep when the turn flips.

I've played that way (and in other games too). Setting your alarm clock for 3:17AM just to double-move someone gets old quick.

Hey Elkad if you played a game (or games) where Doublemoves were allowed I would like to hear more about that experience. I have never played a game like that and I am anxious to try it for myself.

I appreciate the problems that Doublemoves cause, but I have also seen the problems that Doublemove RULES cause. Ive watched countless great games break down over Doublemove rule controversies, and I really want to try a game where all players know and agree from the start that there will be no arguing about turn order or any of that.

It makes for a totally different game, different strategy, different considerations when thinking about war (ie., not only thinking how does war benefit me, but also the RL considerations of "do I have time for a war with Doublemoves allowed").

I am thinking that if people agree ahead of time to play with Doublemoves then there might be less quitting, hard feelings etc., maybe even less warring in general. Anyway id like to give it a try, may even in a diplogame format, so that the Doublemoves could be explained in story form (enemy general was asleep, soldiers moved with unusual haste, caught enemy by surprise etc.)

We can set the turn timer to 20 hours. This way the turnover gets of synch with the time and everyone gets a chance to doublemove without getting up early

We can set the turn timer to 20 hours. This way the turnover gets of synch with the time and everyone gets a chance to doublemove without getting up early
Yes exactly, although since the timer runs slow, a 20 hour timer works out to be about 24 hours.

But you have exactly the right idea :) if we use a 30 hours timer the turn roll will rotate around giving everyone the best Doublemove times.

But you have exactly the right idea :) if we use a 30 hours timer the turn roll will rotate around giving everyone the best Doublemove times.

For that to work, you would need a dummy player that would never end turn, so the timer always ran it's full course.

But you still have alarm-clock issues. It should average out, but it doesn't. Some players will be able to play from work (or Mom's basement) at any hour day or night. Other players only have maybe a half-hour in the morning, and a couple in the evening.

I've played other (non-civ) games with similar issues.

In Civ4, I haven't played a genuine free-for-all, but I've played a couple games with non-strict double-move rules. Each unit had to wait a minimum of 8 hours (and a turn flip) before moving again, but you could split your units up into several logins. And if you played when there was exactly 8 hours remaining, you could try to beat the other player after the turn flip.

We had people logging in 9 times a day. And people who were only logged OUT in the time it took them to drive from their work computer to their home computer.

Some players actually negotiated turn orders with their opponents. And some of those agreements were broken. Plus arguments about which units moved when (the 8hr rule), which wouldn't apply to a true free-for-all.

It caused a lot of strife among the players.

Thanks for sharing :). All of what you say makes sense, which is a big reason I am looking to play a true "free for all", where there would never be any controversies over rules, because there would be absolutely no rules, no "gentleman's agreements" to be broken, no implied rules, nothing.

I realize that disadvantages those of us (like me;)) with families, jobs where you can't play civ, etc., and I am willing to accept that as part of the challenge. Some of us are better players, but we have RL which would handicap us, while others might not be as good but they can log in 10 times a day. That's exactly what I'm looking for.

Top Bottom