Anyone else choose religion based on sound effect?

Swissdictator

Chieftain
Granted, this might mean how you choose what religion you select when you either have a few in your civ, or research a tech (when you have choose religion toggled).

When one religion isn't clearly the better choice for your civ (IE: no one religion has a clear dominance internally or among nations)... do you choose yours based on sound effect?

I do. There are three whose sound effects I find either subtle or pleasant enough to hear constantly (won't say which three to discourage debates)... and there are two religions whose sound effects I find *really* annoying (also won't say to discourage debates). The other two are 'meh'.

When I have a choice of the three I like, I tend to either pic one that matches the civ. When one does not clearly do so, I actually pic a religion I wasn't raised in (I also like the icon) and (as far as I know) has no civ that prefers it.

Really, am I that strange for picking the religion for the sound effect, or do a lot of other people do that as well?

Wow! This is an interesting way to decide upon your religion. Generally, I go for whatever religion I can pick up. But I'm always partial to wanting Christianity. ;)

My favorite reason to use Christian Missionaries: To hear Leonard Nimoy gurgle-chant some gibberish

I usually go Buddhist. There's just something about the thought of my Buddhist theocratic war machine crushing the unbelievers that brings a smile to my face.

I usually just pick what religion goes historically with the civ I'm playing. ie saladin gets muslim, lizzy christianity etc.

If I start a religion that is.

I usually just join the toughest or nearest block before I muscle in and take the religious center before I split and go free religion.

Sometimes random, but when I want a cultural push, I look at the bonus res for cathedral or like.

I always play with choose religions and decide for Judaism via Meditation, because I read that Judaism gets a bonus when it comes to autospread, because it's 1st in the code.

can you pick the religion whose religous buildings are made faster with a resource you have? for example, if i have marble and not stone, could i take islam with theocracy instead of christianity and get double speed mosques?

if so, there's a practical advantage to choosing religions in addition to getting the superior islamic sound effect :D.

I always play with choose religions and decide for Judaism via Meditation, because I read that Judaism gets a bonus when it comes to autospread, because it's 1st in the code.

Also helps if you are on a river,but yeah if the AI beats you to it they have an edge,but I love the later religions for the free missionaries and the variety they give.

Anyone else notice its always Buddhist with 28% and Hinduism 26% and Judaism 30% and the rest usually end up with 4% or 5% if they are in a large city?

I think if it wasn't for the humans getting Confucianism,Christianity,Taoism or Islam there wouldn't be much variety going on due to how autospread leads to huge blocs of nations with the same religion.It is somewhat realistic,but I wish more AI's would found a later religion and focus on it/force it on neighbors.

I have only seen Mansa do this...

can you pick the religion whose religous buildings are made faster with a resource you have? for example, if i have marble and not stone, could i take islam with theocracy instead of christianity and get double speed mosques?

if so, there's a practical advantage to choosing religions in addition to getting the superior islamic sound effect :D.

The resources speed up production of the holy building only.I remember the hindu holy building being sped up with copper I think.

I too like the Islam sound.I think the Confucius sound is cool aswell.For some reason I always get it and spread it all over.Starting to like Theocracy too though...

Also helps if you are on a river,but yeah if the AI beats you to it they have an edge,but I love the later religions for the free missionaries and the variety they give.

Anyone else notice its always Buddhist with 28% and Hinduism 26% and Judaism 30% and the rest usually end up with 4% or 5% if they are in a large city?

I think if it wasn't for the humans getting Confucianism,Christianity,Taoism or Islam there wouldn't be much variety going on due to how autospread leads to huge blocs of nations with the same religion.It is somewhat realistic,but I wish more AI's would found a later religion and focus on it/force it on neighbors.

I have only seen Mansa do this...

The resources speed up production of the holy building only.I remember the hindu holy building being sped up with copper I think.

I too like the Islam sound.I think the Confucius sound is cool aswell.For some reason I always get it and spread it all over.Starting to like Theocracy too though...

Most of the times I see this trend, except this one game where there were 3 continents. I was on 1, maya was on another and then the final continent had 4 other nations. I founded budhism, the dead civ on mine founded hinduism, the mayas founded all the other religions except christianity, and the 4 other civs were all christianity so around 50% of the world was christian exclusively

On noble and prince I often tried for one of the two earliest. I mostly abandoned this now, so if I found one or more religions the most frequent ones must be Confucianism (with Oracle), Taoism (bulb philosophy) or Christianity (oracle or bulb theology). I might have founded Judaism once or twice, but it seems that if there are two religion chasing AIs they will always get it first. It's what you try after having lost the race for one the two early ones. Islam is about useless in my experience, because it is often founded as late as 1000 or 1200 AD.

Of the sound effects I rather dislike Taoism and Islam, rather like Hinduism and Christianity, am rather neutral about the other, although Confucianism is almost to soft to hear on my laptop as I often play (non-game) music in the background.

Well, I didn't read the code myself, but as someone who did told me, if 2 cities are to get a Religion by autospread on the same turn, Judaism will be applied first. It's like turn timers, when 2 Civs finish the same wonder on the same turn, the Civ who comes first gets it.

There is another reason to pick Judaism for me, and that's the random event where Judaism gets spread to other cities if having a monestary and Paper-tech.

Both are only very little advantages for Judaism, but any advantage counts when it comes to HoF play :)

If you're talking about the Kashi Vishwanath, it isn't sped up by anything because it's always built in a single turn. If you're talking about the Hindu Mandir, I'm pretty sure it's sped up by marble.

There is another reason to pick Judaism for me, and that's the random event where Judaism gets spread to other cities if having a monestary and Paper-tech.
I've never seen that one. What's the event called?

I have seen the Holy Mountain event, which seemed fairly useless, and was specific (IIRC) to any of Judaism, Christianity, or Islam.

If you're talking about the Kashi Vishwanath, it isn't sped up by anything because it's always built in a single turn. If you're talking about the Hindu Mandir, I'm pretty sure it's sped up by marble.

My apologies I hate to offer false info.My computer died two weeks ago and I'm doing everything to remain CIV4 sharp if you know what I mean...

As far as the religion spread...wouldn't Buddhism be the first religion?

I'm getting a little confused...lol

I've never seen that one. What's the event called?

I have seen the Holy Mountain event, which seemed fairly useless, and was specific (IIRC) to any of Judaism, Christianity, or Islam.

Event166
Rabbi
Prereq: City with Judaism AND Jewish Monastery AND PAPER
Obsolete: MASS_MEDIA
Active/Weight: 0/0
Result:
1.Convert 5 own and 3 foreign cities to Judaism
2.pay gold (100 base) AND get 1 free scientist in city
3.+8 culture AND +5 gold from Jewish monastery in that city

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/strategy/events.php

Top Bottom