Anyone else miffed about advertising in Civ 5?

Sayjimwoo

Chieftain
I have bought everything that has been released for CIV 5 and I wasn't happy seeing totally unrelated content being advertised on the options screen of my game.
Games that have advertising should be FREE of charge. (Android, iOS) You shouldn't place adverts for other games in PAID for titles, period.

Oh noes! There's an advert! :run:

Seriously, just ignore it. Never understood the fuss about this kind of thing.

It'll go away on the 11th of the 11th.
Or you can remove it yourself by editting [Civ5 directory]\Assets\UI\FrontEnd\MainMenu.lua and changing the stop date under Controls.AcePatrolPromoButton (search for it) to something in the past.

They only advertise stuff on the main menu which you spent about a second on after the gmae loads... to be honest, i'd be more annoyed if the ads were IN-GAME, Alexander is kicking your ass? During his peace offer he comes "Also, buy the Ace Patrol..." I mean that'd be annoying, a little banner that was there before (they used to do it with other DLCs/games) is not as bad as actual in-game advertisng.

It does look a little out of place, but I can't say it particularly bothers me. As TheKingOfBigOz says it would be much worse to have ads in the game itself - as it is it's a tiny panel on the main menu which you only have to look at once.

at least it still have sid's name slapped on it. the dlc ads are more annoying, though.

I wouldn't be surprised if civ vi offers in game purchases, such as spend real money to buy an instant nuke when you're losing...

In-game advertising is a huge business and has been around for years. Most of the time you don't even notice it, such as branded vending machines in shooters, etc. As others have mentioned, at least this isn't actually in the game. Since I spend 0.000000001% of my Civ time on the menu page, I hardly even notice it!

"welcome to your BMW Model 2013 car! before you start driving, have you checked out the new BMW Model 2014 car?"

They only advertise stuff on the main menu which you spent about a second on after the gmae loads... to be honest, i'd be more annoyed if the ads were IN-GAME, Alexander is kicking your ass? During his peace offer he comes "Also, buy the Ace Patrol..." I mean that'd be annoying, a little banner that was there before (they used to do it with other DLCs/games) is not as bad as actual in-game advertisng.

I'd buy it...I'd have to. Just once though. And only if its on sale.

The ad is annoying, yes, and I do hope Firaxis doesn't go overboard on the advertising, but I guess I don't really care that much.

Oh noes! There's an advert! :run:

Seriously, just ignore it. Never understood the fuss about this kind of thing.

You can ignore it, but your mind still notices it and that`s what advertisers know. It resides in the memory unconscously.

I don`t get them because I play Offline (disconnected from the net) and voila! Nil adverts.

But it`s another reason I don`t like Steam.

Y`know, I had about 3 ads on this very forum, brightly flashing and moving and following me around the page to the point I couldn`t even read the forum! Shouldn`t the flashing ones be illegal? They could cause epilepsy. I was talking to someone else about it and he mentioned Adblock- ah... so much better.

Most of us don`t like ads in our face, but the system tries to force it anyway. state of our mad consumer driven society :sad:

install adblock or something on you browser.. as for advertise in game i hate it.. i do not need to know about stuff you have to sell.. i say NO to adds in games.. mobile networks.. from my bank.. cable network.. but i like pizza flyers..:D

It's pushy. And that's not cool.

That little banner at the initial menu in Civ 5? Couldn't care less. If it came up when I was actually playing a game, that would be a very different matter.

When I first saw the ad, I was puzzled. Was it DLC? Why hadn't I heard about it?

After a bit of checking, I saw the ad is not related to Civ V or even the Civ franchise. For a few seconds, I was annoyed. But then I got over the annoyance and moved on.

The intrusiveness of the ad is minor. It was the surprise of not seeing unrelated ads which got to me. Now that I know to expect such ads, I can ignore them in the future.

For a few seconds, I was annoyed. But then I got over the annoyance and moved on.

This comes close to my reaction, except replace annoyed with indifferent.

I treated it the same way I treat most ads. Completely ignored it, didn't give it a second thought. Seriously, someone must read those things, and click on banner ads or else they wouldn't be used. But I certainly don't ...

Top Bottom