Anyone else miffed about advertising in Civ 5?

Strange. I got the advert even though I go offline and even pull out the internet cord!

How are they doing it? The ads must be already in the game or somehow Steam is grabbing the ads when I go Online even when Steam is off. WITHOUT my express permission.

This sort of thing really annoys me, cos I don`t really know what`s going on in my own computer. It`s just not on. I bought a game not a bunch of greedy ads!

I would actually be more frustrated with Steam here. As much as everyone loves Valve for good reason and the Steam sales(again for good reason), the actual Steam product is a notorious pain in the ass. Developers use it because quite frankly it's easier for them.

I would actually be more frustrated with Steam here. As much as everyone loves Valve for good reason and the Steam sales(again for good reason), the actual Steam product is a notorious pain in the ass. Developers use it because quite frankly it's easier for them.

Consider me annoyed with Steam. Really, it never used to be like this and it really doesn`t have to be if people would just stand up to it instead of just giving in. We should be in control of it, not it in control of us or, more specifically, what we see in our products we pay for.

Consider me annoyed with Steam. Really, it never used to be like this and it really doesn`t have to be if people would just stand up to it instead of just giving in. We should be in control of it, not it in control of us or, more specifically, what we see in our products we pay for.

...and it was then, the moment we all look back on, where ample use of boldface started the revolution against the game companies which had for so long held a 320x480-pixel section of our lives under their bootheels for too long.

...and it was then, the moment we all look back on, where ample use of boldface started the revolution against the game companies which had for so long held a 320x480-pixel section of our lives under their bootheels for too long.

I'm working on a way to get imagery of my choice into a 320x480 square of a person's field of view at all times, no matter where they are.

Which corner should be used?

Since you do not own the game, but only a license to play the Game, they can do what ever they want inside of their game.

Don't like it, remove the offending software, and move on to software that does not offend you. Nobody is forcing you to play the game, or even view the ad. Which is so small, and not even in the way, that I actually had to look for the so offense ad, and then I laughed about a person that thinks that is annoying.

Moderator Action: Saying that you laughed at another user's opinion isn't exactly conducive to civil or productive discussion.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Since you do not own the game, but only a license to play the Game, they can do what ever they want inside of their game.

Don't like it -snip

Yawn. I don`t like it and you don`t have to respond to the fact I don`t like it, but you certainly won`t tell me what to do about it.

Its not like they decided to peddle the space out to some random third party like a cheap billboard. They are advertising a different product yes but from what I understand it is developed by Firaxis as well, when you go to watch a movie featuring one of your favorite actors do you scream in rage and disgust when you have to watch a preview for his next movie? Of course not. I dont really see how this is any different, if your interested click in that tiny easy to miss box, otherwise live and let live.

Developers use it because quite frankly it's easier for them.

Exactly.
Why develop your own DRM and content management system (for patches and DLCs) when all this is provided by Steam itself.

The only reason why even retail versions of games use DRM and content management system designed for downloadable games (Steamworks) is that is is cheaper.

P.S.
Of course some developers still have their own DRM or content management system, and just use Steam version for distributing on Steam (because it is mandatory on Steam). And some use even both, which can get really annoying for Steam users.

Yawn. I don`t like it and you don`t have to respond to the fact I don`t like it, but you certainly won`t tell me what to do about it.

It is a free speech forum. You do not own the software. You own a license to use the software and they retain the rights to change it, discontinue it, put advertising in it......

The list goes on and on. You don't like steam, or DRM, but people who think stealing other peoples software is legal, are the reason the rest of us get stuck with a way to slow down the thefts.

You don't like it, yet continue to use the software... If I don't like something a publisher provides, I stop using the software, and support the publishers that I do like. Complaining about it here, will change nothing.

As long as you continue to cry and cry, I can also tell you just how wrong you are.

Moderator Action: Your tone here, particularly in the last line, is trollish. Please keep things more civil in future.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Developers use it because quite frankly it's easier for them.
And for us users too.
Regardless of what one thinks of Steam, one DRM-system is a lot easier than tens of different ones for different games.
Every game with it's own DRM-program for which one needs to remember the login, payment methods, etc. would be a real pain in the rearend.

And for us users too.
Regardless of what one thinks of Steam, one DRM-system is a lot easier than tens of different ones for different games.
Every game with it's own DRM-program for which one needs to remember the login, payment methods, etc. would be a real pain in the rearend.

This is also true, although I think the discussion of DRM and whether it's even worth it could go on for days on its own. Doesn't make users feel any better when Steam randomly resets your settings, or decides to download game updates while you're in a game(which it's not supposed to do...) or decides Civ V isn't installed anymore even though all the files are there, deletes the entire directory you point it to to check for existing files and decides it wants to re-download all 9 gigs from scratch.

Absolutely amazing how many of you talk up for Steam like it`s your best friend. do none of you remember the days when you could buy a game, install and play wherever and whenever? You weren`t handcuffed to the net unless you were playing multiplayer (which is fair). Does no one remember to Patch you just d\l the one you liked best off the Dev forum and installed- No worries?

I guess not.

Those days were true freedom. Can`t believe some of you think this Steam is in anyway better unless you play MP only and only have friends on Steam and not real life!

Oh and as for cheap games, I could get games easily as cheap in the shops 2nd hand which I still have now. Steam has really got some people in its iron grip.

Moderator Action: Saying that those who like Steam mustn't have any real life friends amounts to trolling.

Absolutely amazing how many of you talk up for Steam like it`s your best friend. do none of you remember the days when you could buy a game, install and play wherever and whenever? You weren`t handcuffed to the net unless you were playing multiplayer (which is fair). Does no one remember to Patch you just d\l the one you liked best off the Dev forum and installed- No worries?

I guess not.

Those days were true freedom. Can`t believe some of you think this Steam is in anyway better unless you play MP only and only have friends on Steam and not real life!

Oh and as for cheap games, I could get games easily as cheap in the shops 2nd hand which I still have now. Steam has really got some people in its iron grip.

Steam came about due to people illegally making copies of games,and then selling those games. Did steam totally stop that, no.

I have never had steam download an update on its own. I have it set to ask me first. I am not tied to the net to play the game, offline mode works fine. Just log into steam once a month, to keep the DRM up to date.

Steam is not better or worse, it is an attempt by people to protect their investment into intellectual property, and to make the theft of their property, difficult.

Steam came about due to people's disregard for the end user's agreement that everyone agrees to,but never reads. You are not purchasing the software, but a license to play the game. On many games that license is not sellable or transferable to another person, yet people do it anyway.

Steam updates in the background every time you connect to the internet, and the waits. You do not own the game, you only purchased a license to play the game. Don't like it, then don't support the company with your dollars.

Every where you look, you will see ads, learn what you can control, and control your own reactions, and you will be a whole lot happier and healthy.

"Your own computer". You do NOT own any of the software inside that hardware. You have paid for a license to use someone else's intellectual property. They have the control, not you. You gave that up when you agreed to the end users agreement

Speak for yourself I'm using GNU/Linux. I am in full control of almost all of my software. Heck, I can alter the code of whatever I want whenever I damn well please. Also, I never agreed to any EULA, I just unpacked the game from the installer.

I bought the DVD version because I still love having the paper manuals and poster.

Steam came about due to people illegally making copies of games,and then selling those games. Did steam totally stop that, no.

I have never had steam download an update on its own. I have it set to ask me first. I am not tied to the net to play the game, offline mode works fine. Just log into steam once a month, to keep the DRM up to date.

Steam is not better or worse, it is an attempt by people to protect their investment into intellectual property, and to make the theft of their property, difficult.

Steam came about due to people's disregard for the end user's agreement that everyone agrees to,but never reads. You are not purchasing the software, but a license to play the game. On many games that license is not sellable or transferable to another person, yet people do it anyway.

What? You're allowed selling your games to whoever you want as long as you sell the copies along with it. I've never seen a license that forbade selling the physical disc as long as you sold, or destroyed the copies you made.

Non-transferable does not mean you cannot sell the game, or trade it to someone else. It just means that you cannot sell copies of the license as if you own the game and give people permission to play copied versions of your own legal copy without them paying the publisher for their own license.

1 License per person sort of thing.

"However, you may transfer the entire Software and accompanying documentation on a permanent basis to another person as long as you retain no copies (including archival or backup copies) of the Software, accompanying documentation, or any portion or component of the Software accompanying documentation, and the recipient agrees to the terms of this Agreement. The Software is intended for private use only."

Steam came about due to people illegally making copies of games,and then selling those games.

It has nothing to do with that. It came as a way to digitally sell and distribute the games.

Now, since it is supposed to be used for digital distribution, it made also sense to use internet connect as a way to do DRM.

Of course, it did not stop some publishers to use it as DRM for hard copy games (like for Civ5 retails copies). But this is just because it is cheaper to do it this way, instead using some other DRM. Same for patch distribution. Cheaper to have it managed by Steam.

Also keep in mind that depending on where you live not all parts of a EULA are enforceable or even legal.

For example where I am I am permitted to circumvent DRM on any software or hardware device without any company being able to prosecute me for doing so. On the other hand if I damage the software or device in the process then the warranty is null and void and there is nothing I can do about it.

Basically the way my Government looks on it is that as long as I am not selling design technique or code to the competition or taking an active role in illegal distribution then I can basically do whatever I wish with something I bought.

I guess not.

If only there was some way you could automatically let us know how much you hate Steam in all your posts, without you actually having to spell it out over and over again.

TLHeart you are trolling. You started posting in this thread with "what add?". Please launch the game, browse the menu then post about it, otherwise it will be ignorance to OPer. Next you ban people to complaining about add, and suggested that if they don't like the software they shouldn't buy it.

I like the GAME, i liked those menus until some add spoiled it. I hate it now..

I can undertand why it's there, but still hate it.. you don't have to lecture enyone about license.. and if company cares about customers they should ask me if i want to see that add in future.. just be fair to ppl who are sending you kids to college..

TLH you probably don't mind reciving spam also, cause this or that forum sold you email legal..

TLHeart you are trolling. You started posting in this thread with "what add?". Please launch the game, browse the menu then post about it, otherwise it will be ignorance to OPer. Next you ban people to complaining about add, and suggested that if they don't like the software they shouldn't buy it.

I like the GAME, i liked those menus until some add spoiled it. I hate it now..

I can undertand why it's there, but still hate it.. you don't have to lecture enyone about license.. and if company cares about customers they should ask me if i want to see that add in future.. just be fair to ppl who are sending you kids to college..

TLH you probably don't mind reciving spam also, cause this or that forum sold you email legal..

He`s like a split personality, one minute he seems to be complaining, even telling me it`s probably steam`s fault. Here..

I would actually be more frustrated with Steam here. As much as everyone loves Valve for good reason and the Steam sales(again for good reason), the actual Steam product is a notorious pain in the ass.

Then he`s arguing how wonderful it is and no one should complain or don`t use it.

What`s up with this guy? :crazyeye: He doesn`t seem to know where he is.

That`s when I stopped responding.

Moderator Action: Discuss the topic, not the user.

Top Bottom