Anyone else miffed about advertising in Civ 5?

Advertising is a slippery slope and the public must remain vigilant about it at all times, lest the marketing weasels end up "discretely beaming information from our trusted partners" into our brains while we sleep. :thumbsdown:

Advertising is a slippery slope and the public must remain vigilant about it at all times, lest the marketing weasels end up "discretely beaming information from our trusted partners" into our brains while we sleep. :thumbsdown:
Good thing "slippery slope" isn't the literal name of a classical logical fallacy or anything.

miffed is pretty much the right reaction for me. i think it sucks and gives a :/ reaction but then it's time to play the game. it's just that few seconds where i get a sharp Zynga sensation due to the ad, as if the devs making C5 are working in the cubicle next to the dudes who are working on Farmville updates.

It might sound far fetched, but this is exactly what some companies would do if they had the tech. Think about it, look what advertising was like just 20 years ago, now see how it has escalated (among other things). And as more and more raw advertising is accepted as `ok`, and `I can`t see what the problem is`, more intrusive advertising will continue and it will get worse, because for companies, there`s never enough- It`ll never stop, because they allways want more money. it`s the nature of Capitalism. Capitalism cannot be allowed to run without moderation and that`s fast getting less.

This isn`t the Fringe, I`m talking real life. We do need to keep our eyes open or they will be shut for us in a non-stop continuous ton of adverts which is already happening.

It might sound far fetched, but this is exactly what some companies would do if they had the tech. Think about it, look what advertising was like just 20 years ago, now see how it has escalated (among other things). And as more and more raw advertising is accepted as `ok`, and `I can`t see what the problem is`, more intrusive advertising will continue and it will get worse, because for companies, there`s never enough- It`ll never stop, because they allways want more money. it`s the nature of Capitalism. Capitalism cannot be allowed to run without moderation and that`s fast getting less.

This isn`t the Fringe, I`m talking real life. We do need to keep our eyes open or they will be shut for us in a non-stop continuous ton of adverts which is already happening.

you must see the pros and cons of each thing. For me, as long as advertisement makes an item cheaper (and they usually did), then its OK!
I live in a country where watchin spanish league is free, and that is because of those ads, it really is goooood.

It's not like they put a special unit in the game for ads or something like that. A quick blurb on the opening menu? Not so much. I was a bit more concerned with the XCOM squad idea. Until I finally had a game that lasted that long and used them. They were kind of fun.
As for the advertising conspiracies; if we're not careful and vigilant, the next thing you know, they'll convince enough people to pay for the privilege of doing a company's advertising for them. Before you know it, some people will plaster corporate logos all over their clothes and stuff, and actually pay for the privilege of doing it.

Guess I m too eager to get to my game load/start that I did not notice it alot. Actually started noticing it a couple of days ago. And I say who cares. I am a capitalist. More power to them. Things get boring if you always know what to expect. At this point in the process where you see the ad you have not made any choices yet . So I think its perfectly placed. The start up is long. So you get a little comic relief then its hard core Civ choices that can be tiring but fun. So I m cool with it. I want the people who make the games to be as rich and happy as they can. Take a nice vacation and come back an make Civ 6 ha ha ha

When I buy a cinema ticket I get ads for other movies on my way to the movie and before the movie, and that lasts 15min.
When I buy a boardgame it always come with ton of small catalogs/pamphlets for other games of the same author/company.
When I buy a video game with a launcher there is always advertisement in the launcher (and everytime I launch steam I get tons of those).
When I buy a bluray it also comes with these pamphlets.

That's the entertainment industry for you. Some days ago I noticed there was a tiny ad in the Civ5 menu, forgot it after 5s. Because like every other ad, if you get emotional over it you'll get mad in the 21st century. And that one was really small.

When the ads will become too annoying for you however, stop supporting the company. That's what I do with TV, I don't own one because of it (well I own a TV but only my computer/PS3 are connected to it, I just don't have cable or whatever). If my games started to get interrupted by 2min ad breaks, I wouldn't buy them either (or use hacks for it).

As for adblock, I hope at least you exclude civfanatics from it...

Good thing "slippery slope" isn't the literal name of a classical logical fallacy or anything.

Slippery slope is not itself a logical fallacy; claiming it when it doesn't exist/isn't warranted is fallacious however.

I was first introduced to the term in a sense it very much applies: a small disadvantage compounding over time into an insurmountable position, with no opportunity to recover in between. I believe StarCraft was mentioned as having it (IE you lose some probes early, and you're basically screwed out of 1000's of resources of future mining no matter what you do, the analogy being that while the game isn't technically over, functionally it is as you slide down the path to nigh-certain defeat as the result of that disadvantage materializes).

Even if it isn't "guaranteed fall slope", that sounds pretty slippery. It's a problem in gaming when the outcome is known long before the game stops, which trivializes gameplay that occurs during that period. It's not super common though.

This ad example is different though. Given they're looking to make money, it would be reasonable to expect them to push it to the point they can get away with it, and not further. That's not really a slippery slope setup at all.

Slippery slope is not itself a logical fallacy; claiming it when it doesn't exist/isn't warranted is fallacious however.

I was first introduced to the term in a sense it very much applies: a small disadvantage compounding over time into an insurmountable position, with no opportunity to recover in between. I believe StarCraft was mentioned as having it (IE you lose some probes early, and you're basically screwed out of 1000's of resources of future mining no matter what you do, the analogy being that while the game isn't technically over, functionally it is as you slide down the path to nigh-certain defeat as the result of that disadvantage materializes).

Even if it isn't "guaranteed fall slope", that sounds pretty slippery. It's a problem in gaming when the outcome is known long before the game stops, which trivializes gameplay that occurs during that period. It's not super common though.

This ad example is different though. Given they're looking to make money, it would be reasonable to expect them to push it to the point they can get away with it, and not further. That's not really a slippery slope setup at all.

THANK YOU. This is what I was getting at but expressed much better. :)

Strange. I got the advert even though I go offline and even pull out the internet cord!

How are they doing it? The ads must be already in the game or somehow Steam is grabbing the ads when I go Online even when Steam is off. WITHOUT my express permission.

This sort of thing really annoys me, cos I don`t really know what`s going on in my own computer. It`s just not on. I bought a game not a bunch of greedy ads!

Strange. I got the advert even though I go offline and even pull out the internet cord!

How are they doing it? The ads must be already in the game or somehow Steam is grabbing the ads when I go Online even when Steam is off. WITHOUT my express permission.

This sort of thing really annoys me, cos I don`t really know what`s going on in my own computer. It`s just not on. I bought a game not a bunch of greedy ads!

And that's not even getting to what Firaxis must be beaming into your head while you sleep.

Steam updates in the background every time you connect to the internet, and the waits. You do not own the game, you only purchased a license to play the game. Don't like it, then don't support the company with your dollars.

Every where you look, you will see ads, learn what you can control, and control your own reactions, and you will be a whole lot happier and healthy.

"Your own computer". You do NOT own any of the software inside that hardware. You have paid for a license to use someone else's intellectual property. They have the control, not you. You gave that up when you agreed to the end users agreement

Steam updates in the background every time you connect to the internet, and the waits. You do not own the game, you only purchased a license to play the game. Don't like it, then don't support the company with your dollars.

Every where you look, you will see ads, learn what you can control, and control your own reactions, and you will be a whole lot happier and healthy.

"Your own computer". You do NOT own any of the software inside that hardware. You have paid for a license to use someone else's intellectual property. They have the control, not you. You gave that up when you agreed to the end users agreement

Alright you've convinced me. Not another dime will I give Firaxis. I'm sure I'll be a whole lot happier because of this decision.

Alright you've convinced me. Not another dime will I give Firaxis. I'm sure I'll be a whole lot happier because of this decision.

The great thing is that you don't have to actually buy the games to show up on forums and complain.

Wait...not great. The other thing.

The great thing is that you don't have to actually buy the games to show up on forums and complain.

Wait...not great. The other thing.

Sorry, thats just the way the world is. Don't like it then don't go on the forums. You'll be much happier and healthier once you realize what you can control.

Top Bottom