Anyone ever live in New Mexico?

Theres a "new" Mexico? :confused:

What's a Latin child? Is that like a kid who grew up in Ancient Rome or the Byzantine empire?

I'm just being a smart ass. But it really is one of my biggest pet peeves-when Hispanics are called Latin or Spanish. Drives me crazy.

Since Brazil was a Portugese colony, "Hispanic" wouldn't properly describe dt.

I wouldn't mind spending more time there, but I don't think I'd want to raise a small child in NM, based on my previous experiences.
Worse crime than Chicago?

I live in Arizona and I've driven through New Mexico many times and I can say IT SUCKS! This area of the country is like hell on earth. No seasons, nothing! It sucks and it never rains or snows I hate this place.
Arizona gets a lot of precipitation?

Hispania = Spain. Isn't Lusitania Portugal?

Yep. Both the Portugese and Spanish languages are rooted in Latin, so "Latin American" is appropriate enough of a designation. Things only get thorny when people try to apply this to Quebec, but that really doesn't work because screw the French.

I live in Arizona and I've driven through New Mexico many times and I can say IT SUCKS! This area of the country is like hell on earth. No seasons, nothing! It sucks and it never rains or snows I hate this place.
Phoenix and Tuscon have no seasons. Most of NM has very distinct seasons. In addition it snows in the mountains and in fact NM has ski resorts. Clearly, the place you hate is not NM. I-40 is not NM.

Yeah New Mexico is great for skiing. Although I do have to admit before going to NM the only other skiing spots I visited were in Kentucky and West Virginia. Still, Rocky Mountains skiing has got to be better than Appalachian. They don't serve you possum in the ski lodge.

:lol: Seasons are overrated. There are some beautiful times like the dry periods of late fall or late spring, but it is easily tradable for not having to deal with five months of snow.
Have you ever lived in a place with no seasons? It's depressing after a while! Especially if you're set on an island and have no where to go after a few months besides the beach.

Theres a "new" Mexico? :confused:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexico
Since Brazil was a Portugese colony, "Hispanic" wouldn't properly describe dt.
1. There aren't any Brazilians in New Mexico so he was clearly referring to Hispanics.
2. You're supposed to call them "Latinos" not Latins
3. The only reason their called "Latinos" is because Napoleon III and France declared the French, Spanish, and Portuguese countries in the Americas as Latin in a way too create a delusional union between Mexico and his empire.

Yep. Both the Portugese and Spanish languages are rooted in Latin, so "Latin American" is appropriate enough of a designation. Things only get thorny when people try to apply this to Quebec, but that really doesn't work because screw the French.
Which is the reason I hate the term. It's completely stupid because if it refers to people who speak Latin languages, and live in the Americas, than anyone who speaks French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, or Romanian should be classified Latin American or Latino. Nope, it has devolved to include Spanish and Portuguese speakers only. Quebec should by all means be included in the definition and anyone who speaks one of the above languages should be too, including the 1 million + Italians in the US.

Yeah New Mexico is great for skiing. Although I do have to admit before going to NM the only other skiing spots I visited were in Kentucky and West Virginia. Still, Rocky Mountains skiing has got to be better than Appalachian. They don't serve you possum in the ski lodge.
Just about anyplace is better than Kentucky and West Virginia when it comes to skiing!

I must admit I was disappointed in Taos. The base elevation is really high so it can take a long time to acclimate, the general layout kinda sucks unless there is a lot of snow and you are really into off-piste skiing, and it is a hell of a long way from the Albuquerque airport. It is definitely my least favorite major ski resort.

Anwar al-Awlaki and David Parker Ray lived in New Mexico. I've only been through it on the way to somewhere else.

Top Bottom