Arcane Mastery for FfH 2

You'll probably need to equip the unit very well and have quite a few mana resources handy to be able to get the uber promotions. This is mostly a late-game flavor mod, though, considering it will only kick-in after Strength of Will unless you go Esus and get Gibbon with Deception, or go OO and get Hemah with Arcane Lore.

Ideally I'd prefer Kael & Co. implement a non-abusable xp-gain-from-spellcasting system so that mages do not need to do lots and lots of harcore duels to get to higher levels. Until then, I'm content with giving arcane units a lot of strength buffs to compensate.

Yes, I do mean from final fantasy. He came to get his cities back :D

Yeah, that is a challenge. I think there should be improvments for the non uber-mages of Erebus. If it seems a good idea, I will try to think of possibilties.

"This sounds awesome.. although I'm not sure how you could ever get an arcane unit up to those levels... I struggle to get my heroes up to lvl15 to rescue bridget."

I found a pretty fast way to level up some units to level 15 if you have vampires. Build a food city, but don't build up health very much. The vampires can level up by feeding on the overpopulation. You can do this every few turns as your city grows into a health deficit again.

Why bother waiting for the unhealth, just feed away!
I am eagerly awaiting the update for the new tweakmod version.

@dan83m: I am working on it :)
@Nagafen: Yup, this modmod favors the Calabim more than any other civ, which is OK I guess. This might also be a good reason to give something extra to magic oriented civs like the Amurites and the Sheaim.
@blade117: Coming right up.

@Nagafen: Yup, this modmod favors the Calabim more than any other civ, which is OK I guess. However this might be good reason to give something extra to magic oriented civs like the Amurites and the Sheaim.
....don't forget everyones favourite nubile Elven princess.

I was also going to suggest Keelyn....but she perhaps don't need any buffs

New tweakmod version is up!

@Skitters: Yeah, I'll probably simply make the Potency promotion a prerequisite for some cool unique arcane unit promotions, available earlier.

So, I finally played two games with this mod. I used the first version available with Tweakmod. First I played as the Amurites and went for Master of the Elements. Then I played as the Grigori and went for Master of Alteration. I didn't bother advancing farther than that, as the games drag on my computer after a point. I really liked it, and had fun using the new spells and new promotions. I hope this post does not sound excessively negative. I plan on using this mod, I am just critiqueing it. Here are my thoughts:

1) I think there are too many promotions. You don't need "Master of Earth and Air", "Master of Fire and Water", and "Master of Elements". My suggestion would be to have "Master of Fire and Water/Earth and Air" be granted by the Tower of Elements, or get rid of them and just have Master of Elements. It is a lot of clutter all at once, and this is already promotion intensive.

2) Let some of the promotions come early. Let the first set of "Master" promotions be gotten at Arcane Lore and require sphere 2 instead of 3. This leads to a slightly more fulfilling experience, as the rewards come more gradual (instead of a mass of promotions appearing right at Archmages. That was my problem with point 1, too). Let the "Master of Elements" line be gotten at Strength of Will, and everything else at Omniscience.

3) I am not sure if you are done tweaking these for balance, but I really liked how Master of Alteration worked. It gave two very good abilities that helped at home in a passive way (the trees) and a nice spell for war. It was strong without being excessive, and definately worth the promotions. ...then there was what I got at Master of Elements. It created a unit that was capable of easily (easily!) taking out entire civilizations alone. It wasn't the summon, which was really nice, but the Shooting Stars ability. It reminded me why Meteor was taken out. This spell is just too strong, and with the summon as well, created an uber team that could not be stopped. The fact that the archmage was stronger than normal just compounded things. I cannot imagine what spells could be stronger than that at Destroyer and Omnipotence.

I would reccomend giving each Master of _____ sphere an economic (like the tree) and war (like Might) ability. But please get rid of Shooting Stars, or move it to Omnipotence.

Also, to those that are saying the Calabim or some civ with the Arcane trait are the best for this mod, try the Grigori. My adventurers slowly built up exp, I took the Arcane trait, upgraded four of them into adepts (so they had potence), and later, when I had Strength of Will researched, took Charismatic. All four of my adepts could get Master of Alteration as soon as I hit Strength of Will, and with no risk to them at all. :lol:

Thank you for your feedback Verdian. I think I am going to move the prerequisites of lesser Mastery promotions to Tier II spells and they will be available with Sorcery (since they do not provide any spells, I doubt this will be overpowering). However I cannot do that until I learn how to hack the DLL to allow more than 2 prerequisite promotions for any given promotion, because I will then have to modify the greater mastery promotions to require their respective Tier III magic sphere promotions, instead of the lesser mastery promos. I also do not know if I can make the Towers prereqs for the lesser mastery promotions, but I'll give that a shot as well.

As for Shooting Stars, I could always nerf the spell instead of moving it to Omnipotence. How does 3 stars per cast sound? I could also reduce the base strength from 4 to 2 and the average collateral damage from 60% to 30%.

It is not going to be easy to balance the power curve of the Mastery promotions. I'll have to rely on community feedback for that. So thanks again! :)

@Dan83m- If you mean FFPlus when you wrote FfHP, already planning on stealing this :lol:. @Honor- Multiple prerequisite promotions should be possible. Haven't looked at the FfH setup in a while, but it's very easy in FF.

Woo! Now if only you'd merge this, rise of Darkness's multi-spell spheres system, and FFpluss......

<3<3<3<3<3<3.... Mmmm FF+ malakim with Geomancy (sun+nature) and Masters promotions...

Oh, no problemo Rystic, thanks for the heads up. New version is available for download :)

@Valkrionn: Not possible with FfH, I'm afraid. FF has done a great job of enhancing default FfH XML tags, though. Man, if only Kael used the FF DLL... That would be nice. Would open up a whole new world of possibilities for FfH modders.

Is this FFH 41b compatible?

No idea, but it probably is, since it is XML-only. Don't take it up on my word, though! If the team made any changes to the XML structure, it will not work.

Just curious . But an update for the new tweakmod version would be good to help test that, if it isn't too much trouble.

Ahh, so much for Rystic's promise of Wednesday-only updates, then :lol:

Will see what I can do.

Top Bottom