are factorys a waste of time

Originally posted by Tomoyo
A 50% reduction of production? :lol: Here I was thinking that factories increase production.

I said 50% reduction in production POLLUTION, moron. :wallbash:

Argh!!! How could I have missed the pollution word??? You statement still doesn't make sense because I have no idea where the 50% reduction in pollution comes from.

The question is not whether to build factories, it is when. Should you beeline to Electronics with Theory and Hoover prebuilds knowing your hoover won't help until you go back and get industrialization and factories, or should you build your factories before you get hoover and hope your prebuild is enough. That's assuming the game is still close...

Argh!!! How could I have missed the pollution word??? You statement still doesn't make sense because I have no idea where the 50% reduction in pollution comes from.

Err... sorry for flaming you. Anyway, the Nuclear Power Plant gives a 100% addition to production and reduces the pollution CAUSED by production by 50%.

That's where the 50% comes from. Next!

Originally posted by Dave D-Day
Anyway, the Nuclear Power Plant gives a 100% addition to production and reduces the pollution CAUSED by production by 50%.
Really? I learn something new here every day. Most of my games never make it to nuclear power...

Originally posted by djpjnr
are factorys worth all the problems they make with regards to pollution ,
Question should be, "Am I on crack for asking this?"
Factories are a vital key in the later ages if you have not locked up a conquest victory and diplo is out of the question. They are so important that I prebuild them as if shooting for a wonder.
Yes the pollution sucks but the shield output more than makes up for it. Stack your workers in gangs so that it only takes a few seconds of Shift-C to clear it.

Think of the pollution as additional maintance by way of additional workers and the loss of the tile for a few turns. I would guess that the cost of factories/coal plants is about 10 workers and one tile per 10 size 20 cities every few turns.

Really? I learn something new here every day. Most of my games never make it to nuclear power...

You can make the game last longer by NOT declaring war on everyone. Well, a little longer anyway. :crazyeye:

What kb2tvl said is true; pollution is a little more matinence. Except that even the smallest amount of pollution can change that grassland tile into plains...

Originally posted by Serpico
Ask yourself wether a 50% increase in production is worth the little trouble of cleaning the pollution...

Planting trees doesn't help.

Actually it's not just 50%, since when you get a powerplant you'll usually egt another 50% production.

So double your production of all squares, compared to once in a while a square or two is polluted for a few turns. usually my other squares are producing enough to make up for any polluted square, aslong as you have the worker force and railroads to clean up the mess in a turn or two.

I coulnd't imagine playing a game with out factories, especially since you should have hospitals before or soon afterwards you'll be working 20 or so tiles, I coulnd't imagine a bit of pollution crippling your empire, compared to getting out produced by the AI.

I usually build factory when city has at least 10 (clear) shield production,or when I have Hoover Dam

Originally posted by Dave D-Day
You can make the game last longer by NOT declaring war on everyone. Well, a little longer anyway. :crazyeye:
:insertsomesmiliehere: What are you, psychic? How did you know that I have been playing nothing but Always War games lately? :insertothersmiliehere:

Really Nuclear power plant reduces pollution by 50% :eek: . I think it just doesn`t produce any pollution.

Factory worth the pollution it produced. It`ll gives 2 pollutions (the triangles) only! Coal plant produces another 2. In a big metro, pollution usually comes from pop. Each additon of one pop after size 12 adds 1 pollution. So, in a size 20 city, pop produces 8 pollutions.

Even after building Hoover, the old coal plant will still produce pollution. Each plant will replace each other. So, don`t forget to sell it! Building mass transit and recycling center will reduce pollution to 2!

Btw, I usually build factory in a high shield, low corruption city. In other cities it just a waste because the upkeep cost is not worth the shields (for me).

Nuclear power plants are pretty good but I rarely build them because I'm always terrified of the meltdown, even though it has never happened to me...I only build one if I have a desperate need of a very high shield output city, e.g. in a tight spaceship race. The pollution aspect is not important to me. By the later game I generally have so many workers that any and all pollution can be cleared up in a single turn.

Originally posted by dreamvirus
Nuclear power plants are pretty good but I rarely build them because I'm always terrified of the meltdown, even though it has never happened to me...
Just build them. They're expensive, yes, but you'll love them :)

Meltdown may only occur if a city riots for some turns (don't know the exact number, but it's definately more than one).
Now tell me how often does it happen that you allow a city to riot for more than one turn? That's right: never!
Even in anarchy, it only takes some luxuries and some micromanagement to prevent disasters.

Factories are only a waste of time if you also consider winning a waste of time.

Please, djpjnr build factories. The pollution is no problem if you have enough workers. 50% improvement of shields is invaluable. Build them. Trust us.

Originally posted by djpjnr
are factorys worth all the problems they make with regards to pollution ,
also does planting trees slow down the pollution,
ive tryed editing ,but it keeps coming back again.
i do like a nuke filled games but i find i pay for it later..

I would say not. Yes to the title. The time you build a factory will be in place of many other units, which will be very important for the issue of the current/upcoming battles (attack or defense). However if you come to have enough costy units you can always take time to build one or several and set your production on wealth with the Economy technology (twice better).
If you have a big modern foe, better to build them though... but anyway it may not enhance your production spectacularly (will take time and ressource for sometimes the same amount of turns to produce one modern unit) and nukes construction may not be usefull as the AI will destroy your cities as well if you don't have the last tech, and even if anyway. May be usefull for some wonders though.
Better start in time than running.

Top Bottom