Art Stuff

Yep. "European". Scenario. Again.

Ah, ok. I dont know anything about the LoR scenarios's. We will have to check those as we have ironed out many things with the city and building art. And it never occured to me the whole time to check for scenario compatibility.

While your at it you might as well check the others. They all are slightly differnt. No idea why GeoModder felt it neccesary to drop all the n's at the end of the names. Here is a list of what they should be.
Code:
ARTSTYLE_AFRICA
ARTSTYLE_ANGLO_AMERICA
ARTSTYLE_ARABIA
ARTSTYLE_ASIA
ARTSTYLE_BARBARIAN
ARTSTYLE_CRESCENT
ARTSTYLE_EGYPT
ARTSTYLE_EUROPE
ARTSTYLE_GRECO_ROMAN
ARTSTYLE_INDIA
ARTSTYLE_IBERIA
ARTSTYLE_JAPAN
ARTSTYLE_MESO_AMERICA
ARTSTYLE_MIDDLE_EAST
ARTSTYLE_MONGOLIA
ARTSTYLE_NATIVE_AMERICA
ARTSTYLE_NORSE
ARTSTYLE_RUSSIA
ARTSTYLE_SOUTH_AMERICA
ARTSTYLE_SOUTH_EAST_ASIA
Basically just make sure there is no "N" on the end of the name. And dont worry about ones like anglo-american, mongolia. They have not been made yet, so dont use those. Also I think south america is only used in LoR light, so just make sure the meso civs have ARTSTYLE_MESO_AMERICA

I just checked Lean's and World War Wolf, and the artstyles are fine. The Big Europe map is clean, so no civs have predefined artstyles.

StMikael could you upload a save with the vanished american buildings?

Sorry, I don't have any save anymore. I just had an old scenario file not made for LoR, and it still had the old artstyle names.

@Phungus: To go along with the Joan of Arc and Trung warlord, I was going to make a couple of more missing ethnic warlords. I was thinking a Greek one that resembles the new Alex LH, and a Sioux Sitting bull/Crazy horse warlord. Any other ideas for warlords? I want to make a byzantine one, but cant really find any pics of a byzantine medieval general. All the east asian civs are pretty well covered with Bakuels's LoTK units.

Earlier you had expressed some interest in releasing some art to drum up business. So I was thinking in the mean time I would release some of the units I made as units found in LoR. I had no intention of ever releasing them, as I made them exsclusively for LoR. But there seems to be some call for units that I have already made. So i figure several releases would draw some attention. Youre thoughts?

My current plan now is after the next release of RevDCM, and the subsequent LoR update to release a new mod CUBE (core unaltered BtS experience) that has BULL/BUG + BBAI + LoR's art. Hopefully such a mod can draw in people that otherwise wouldnt' try a mod, after playing with BetterAI and the improved art from LoR they may be tempted to try the whole game. Also I think LoR's art is the most well organized and optimized available, so it would be a perfect base to build from.

Ok thats cool. So in the mean time Ill start releasing some of the units I made.
Yeah, there are quite a few units you've made others can use. In my oppinion none of the modding done in Civ4 is proprietary, ie I think it's best to share what's out there for others to build off of.

As far as LoR's art is concerned my two biggest desires is to get damaged states for the mechanized units, and elminate the errors in the LSystem log caused by geomodder's cityset.

Yeah, there are quite a few units you've made others can use. In my oppinion none of the modding done in Civ4 is proprietary, ie I think it's best to share what's out there for others to build off of.
Mostly its just laziness on my part.
As far as LoR's art is concerned my two biggest desires is to get damaged states for the mechanized units, and elminate the errors in the LSystem log caused by geomodder's cityset.
Damage states is a bit of a problem. Some of the the mechanized units are really complicated, and I dont fully understand how to add a skin instance from scratch. Still experimenting with the tutorials on this one.

I believe Geomodder has said he has fixed most or some of the errors for his next release.

You probably saw these:

Some Infantries

I was thinking it would be cool to set it up so that the flanking infantry for Motorized infantry had a more modern look then the models used for Squad Infantry, at least in the full release. With these new models you could probably do that, as alot of these models have an older WWI style look that would be perfect for squad infantry, and then could leave the same flanking units in the ethnic art styles to give them a more cold war era look (might want to modernise a few of them though).

You probably saw these:

Some Infantries

I was thinking it would be cool to set it up so that the flanking infantry for Motorized infantry had a more modern look then the models used for Squad Infantry, at least in the full release. With these new models you could probably do that, as alot of these models have an older WWI style look that would be perfect for squad infantry, and then could leave the same flanking units in the ethnic art styles to give them a more cold war era look (might want to modernise a few of them though).

Thats already what Ive been doing since last major art update. Trying to make appropriate unit meshes. These are actually just minor reskins of a larger WWI style infantries done by zerver for snafusmiths WWI mod. But this is a good idea to seperate the squad and motor infantries.Ive also added a slew of ethnic "modern troopers" for mech infantries. Several paratroopers for the air cavs. Also have several modern marines that Im not sure what to do with. Id like to keep each ethnic counterpart at about the same time period. But Im not quite sure how to go about it with marines. Some civs have 3 different types of marines (WWII, Cold War, Modern). But there is no way to use them like with infantries and paratroopers.

I'd call them infantry, just plain infantry, as their defalt unit art will be the standard infantry model for Civ4. Also this means we need a unique default unit for light to use for Squad infantry as the standard inf model will now flank the APC in light (this will fix an issue with motorized inf currently, when the unit gets damaged and the APC dies, it looks the same as squad inf). As you say, it doesn't matter, it's just a name, but it would be nice to standardize things for mod modders and ourselves, as standardized conventions makes things easier to work with.

Playing a game, 0.9.7b, and a couple of notes. The Babylonian Bowman and Longbowman look too similar, it's hard to tell if you have a stack that's been sieging that longbows are now in the city (also doesn't affect the game, but might effect scenarios, the Bowman is the same exact model as the Babylonian archer, which definitely shouldn't happen). This may apply to other artstyles as well, but it really needs to be apparent when a unit changes type. Look at the default BtS archer and the longbow, it's instantly obvious it's a different unitclass there, and this should be the same in ethnic unit art. This is a form over function issue, and function takes precedence, even if it's less pretty the user should intuitively see a difference in appearance between different unit types, even within the same artstyle.

Edit:
Found a graphics glitch. It's in the Ethiopian prophet

In the unit's forum someone uploaded a zip in this post:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8596929&postcount=12

It has a Huey model that fires rockets instead of a central machine gun. This would be a cool animation change to make to all the modern gunships to help differentiate them from the earlier air cavs.

Just realized that we have the same problem with the air cav as with the motor infantry. What do you think we could do to differentiate the flanking paratroopers?
For the Air Assault they probably need a whole new line of models made up. They'd probably look best as a cross between normal Paratroopers and the Trooper models that flank Mech Inf.

Top Bottom