i've made it clear elsewhere how I came to realise how I'm transgender. I'm 35 (soon to be 36) and after years of suspecting and with the help of the Gender Dysphoria Bible in IglooDame's signature, back in June last year I finally discovered that I'm transgender. I haven't decided on a name yet but at the moment I'm leaning towards Rebecca and I go with she/her pronouns (although about a decade ago on one chatroom I did have shi/hir).

I never experimented with crossdressing when I was young (except for one time when I wore one of my sister's t-shirts). Instead, when I was a child I always had a feeling that everyone exaggerated the differences between boys and girls. I have younger sisters and they could all be described as tomboys, so all these ideas of what girls are supposed to be like and my sisters weren't like that. Then I slowly started to noticed that I wasn't like the other boys, even if I didn't want to really admit it to myself. It became a lot worse when I went to senior school (11-16 or optionally up to 18 years old). It was an all boys school and I never felt like I belonged. It didn't help that I went to a rough school and almost constantly bullied all the time. I thought I wasn't just trying hard enough to fit in. At this point I had already been diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome and I thought any weird feelings or obsessions that I had were because of that. Even before I entered senior school, there were moments where I thought to myself that it would make sense if I was a girl. There was one time I remember when I just started senior school where I started crying because I felt like I didn't belong. I wasn't aware that transgender was a thing back then (It really didn't help that the first transgender character I saw was in Ace Ventura Pet Detective). I guess I should mention that in my first year of senior school The Matrix came out and how I reacted after watching it was completely different to everyone else to the point that they couldn't understand why I felt that way.

When I was a teenager my life just started getting worse. I just felt completely miserable all the time and I guess if I did see a doctor I would've been diagnosed with depression but I felt I would only be wasting the doctor's time and what I was going through was nothing. When I was 18 and nearly finished with school, another student, I think he was just trying to reach out and help but I was so withdrawn and I never talked to anyone, he said that I looked depressed.

This was when I became aware that transgender people existed and that it was possible to change sex. I was watching TV late at night and there was one of those chat shows where they bring in a trans woman and everyone is amazed about how much she looks like a woman. Then they mention that she transitioned as a child and for some reason that I didn't understand at the time, I thought I was too old. I was a teenager. There was another show, a documentary, that was about a famous experiment into gender identity involving a pair of twins and after watching I came away with two thoughts. At that point I didn't think there were differences in gender or that any differences in gender were exaggerated. I now understood that gender identity was a thing. The other, which turned out to be more damaging for me, was that a transgender person was someone who resisted constantly from a young age from being misgendered. I never did that, so I thought I couldn't be transgender. If only I knew what gender dysphoria would actually be like. It might seem strange, but I didn't think wanting to be a woman was enough to make me transgender.

I left school and my life fell apart. I'm 35 and my life has barely changed since I was 18. It was at this time that I started playing RPGs with character creators and for some reason I decided to play as female characters and I didn't know why I wanted to play as female character. If I had to justify it I would've said something like "This is a fantasy world. I can play as an elf, an orc or a lizard. If I want to be a woman I can be". I always felt disappointed if a game didn't give me the option to play as a female. Many years later I would try to force myself to play as male characters, when I was becoming aware that wanted to always play as a female character might be weird. I remember when trying to play as a male character in Skyrim, I couldn't get out of the starting dungeon.

Since realising that I'm trans, I found out something weirder. I'm a fan of the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise. Ever since Sonic 2, I always tried to play as Tails (the cute two tailed fox). I mention this because Tails is a favourite of trans people.

I feel I should mention something else that I became aware of a lot sooner but I feel like it does relate to my own transgender journey (and liking Tails probably hints towards it). Ever since I was young I liked animals. I wrote a story in school when I was 8 years old about a boy and a girl who were stranded on an island and transformed into foxes (then I tore it up because I thought I gotten into trouble with the teacher). When I was a teenager I still liked animals, especially wolves and other similar canines and I knew that it was something that boys didn't like (and that it was something girls liked but still I didn't make the link). Then I started to wonder what these animals would be like if they had some human attributes. Maybe it's because of all the media with talking animals, especially Disney's Robin Hood. When I had internet access I slowly began to discover that I'm a furry and it made certain people angry. When I did find a small furry community they asked me for my fursona (a furry character that represents myself). I went with a female presenting hermaphrodite huskytaur (and that's how I ended up with shi/hir for a while). Even then, I created a female character to represent myself and I still wasn't aware that I'm transgender.

The years became a decade and my life hadn't got better but by that point I no longer cared. I was starting to feel like I didn't exist. If I was a character in a film I would be the camera, just watching the other characters who go one with their lives. I felt like no one actually liked me, that the only reason why I was allowed to stay around was because people felt sorry for me. I was even beginning to feel like the world around me wasn't real. I spent most of my days playing time sinks like the Bethesda open world games, always playing as a female character. It was only with Fallout 4 when I started to notice that I wasn't playing the game as a game but as a person trying to live in the world. I was even going around collecting dresses for my character.

The only game series where I felt I had to play a male character was the Pokémon series and even then it never felt right. Back in March I started to play Pokémon Legends Arceus, again choosing to play as a male character, but I couldn't get into the game. At one point I decided to get my character long hair and say that my character was transgender but then decided to just restart the game as a female character. I only played the game for forty minutes as a male character. I played the game for 60+ hours as a female character. That was one of the moments when I started to question myself again.

Another moment happened a couple of months later. For years I've wanted to create a Sonic fan fiction, but for many reasons I didn't until a couple of years ago. I had some ideas but didn't think of how a plot could work until I started reading the rebooted Archie comics (then later read the British comics then started to research the early Archie comics to avoid the mistakes that were made then). I set it ten years after the game and I wanted to make Tails the main character. For some reason I couldn't figure out Tails and the character disappeared. Then I suddenly thought "What if Tails is trans?" then the character suddenly started making sense and I knew where to take the character. Then I thought "Why did I think to make Tails trans?" That was in April.

Another thing happened that I feel is important. For the past two years I've been growing my hair. The first time I got a hair cut I was around 5 years old. I've always wanted long hair, but my dad always kept insisting that I get hair cuts to the point where he would give me a hair cut himself. I was always bullied at school for having long hair (it wasn't actually that long, just not really short). When I was older, everyone kept telling me how after I get a haircut I now looked like a man and for some reason that always made me feel odd. The only reason why I've started growing my hair was that my dad stopped. I was asked by my mum if I wanted a hair cut and I said no. I started to wonder why and one of the thoughts I had was because I could have long hair like a woman.

In June and hearing all the increasing backlash against trans people I suddenly became aware of something that for a long time I never knew. Most people never question their identity. Most people are fully aware of their identity from a young age. I thought it was normal to question identity, I just thought I was obsessing over it because I'm autistic (I also thought that I couldn't be transgender because I'm autistic but since then it seems like it's more the opposite). I knew a few people were confident in their identity that they never felt the need to question their identity, but I didn't think it was everyone. That was when I was starting to strongly suspect that I might be transgender. Reading through the Gender Dysphoria Bible, I went in thinking I might be transgender, even kind of wanting to be transgender, but I thought I would only have one or two symptoms but wouldn't actually be transgender. I took five hours to read it all because I was crying so much. It wasn't one or two things, it was almost everything and the one thing that wasn't I'm wondering that it came out in another way (if playing as a female character in a game counts as crossdressing).

Since then, I became aware of other transgender people and they're more like me than I ever thought. It turns out there are plenty of trans woman who are just harmless nerds. I've slowly been transitioning where I can. I'm wearing woman's clothing at night (feeling like I should've tried wearing woman's clothing before). I'm sleeping in a sports bra. I've recently shaved off all my body hair (I'm aware of the irony of being a furry). So far only my mum and two of my sisters know that I'm transgender but I'm planning to come out to the rest of my family by my birthday (I need to learn how to wear makeup to try and make my appearance look more feminine). I'm hoping that it will at least show my mum that this is serious and that I need to see a doctor.

I've been waiting since August to see a doctor. Then I have the nightmare of the British gender identity clinic system to look forward to.

I still have no idea how to come out to my offline friends. I'm starting to wonder if one of the reasons why I took so long to realise that I'm transgender is that for over a decade they've made it clear that they're anti transgender. It seems like the rest of the country is catching up with them.

If you're gay then realize you're trans and go thru transition do you still identify as gay?

If you're gay then realize you're trans and go thru transition do you still identify as gay?

In two cases that I know of specifically, no.

In general, folks that grew up identifying as straight end up identifying as gay once they're out/transitioning. And interesting to me at least, it seems like 80-90% of trans folks are gay, much like 80-90% of cis folks are straight.

But all that said, when someone is recalibrating their gender presentation and chucking off a lot of shame and social expectations, their sexual orientation sometimes turns out to be another thing that recalibrates.

Depends on the trans person, honestly. Generally I think the answer would be that you now identify as straight. For my part, I identified as straight as a man (though I frequently felt like I might be gay or bi, with no real explanation for why), and now identify as a lesbian. Hormones are interesting though. It’s not uncommon for a trans person’s sexuality to get flipped around or rearranged once they start on them.

In general sexuality is messy though. I know many queer people who will make a distinction between lesbian, taken to mean cis/trans women loving or in relationship with cis/trans women, and sapphic, referring to romance that is wlw in nature but isn’t strictly limited to women per se, and is therefore inclusive of, say, feminine-coded non-binary people or feminine-attracted trans men.

Last edited:
I have a question for the group: how did you choose your name? How long did it take you to settle on the one you chose? Were there others you were considering before you settled on your current one?

My answer: I picked Sophie pretty soon after I hatched, maybe less than two weeks. It was always a name I really felt drawn to. I had a close childhood friend when I was 4 or 5 who was named Sophie, and it was sort of my go-to girl’s name after that. It’s funny to dig through my old stuff now - game files, stories I wrote as a kid and teen and the like - and see that name all over the place.

After I picked it, I looked up what it meant, and that kind of clinched it for me, as I’ve always really been drawn to crows and foxes and the like and it felt like there was a connection there. Sonja is the diminutive form in the Slavic family and that was also a really neat connection for me because that’s another name I’ve always really liked.

Aside from that, I very briefly considered Maggie when I first came out, but it didn’t really feel right. Ceinwyn and Gwen were names I went by for a time in an MMO in high school. I never really considered them as names once I came out as trans though.

chiming in my experience too - i went from a bicurious boy, to a girl who tried to be straight, quickly changing to a lesbian, to a pansexual woman, and now I'm a pansexual enby who has no possible way to be straight in the first place (what is straight to someone outside of the binary, after all)
during that first jump from bicurious boy to girl trying to be straight, my thought process was that i had just discovered the word "transgender" from wikipedia, immediately thought "OH theres other people like me. thats a relief" and decided in that moment that since i knew i wasn't a boy, that must mean im a girl instead, cos thats like the only other option, right? and from there i looked at my sexual attraction and thought "oh maybe that bicuriosity was actually me being into guys all along, and really im straight? that'd be nice if i was straight, that way i'd only have to deal with marginalization for the trans thing, and not for being nonstraight too"
imperfect logic aside, that thought lasted probably at most a few weeks before i realized i, in fact, really liked girls, regardless of whether or not i was one of em
so right after i realized i wasnt a boy, if you asked me if i was "gay", i'd prolly say "no, im not even a guy." because at that time i was thinking of "gay" as meaning specifically "man-attracted men". but if you made that younger version of me use the word gay the way i currently do, as another way of saying queer except when opposed to the word "straight", i'd've probably said something like "i dunno, do i have to be? can i just be a girl instead?"

I have a question for the group: how did you choose your name? How long did it take you to settle on the one you chose? Were there others you were considering before you settled on your current one?

My answer: I picked Sophie pretty soon after I hatched, maybe less than two weeks. It was always a name I really felt drawn to. I had a close childhood friend when I was 4 or 5 who was named Sophie, and it was sort of my go-to girl’s name after that. It’s funny to dig through my old stuff now - game files, stories I wrote as a kid and teen and the like - and see that name all over the place.

After I picked it, I looked up what it meant, and that kind of clinched it for me, as I’ve always really been drawn to crows and foxes and the like and it seemed like there was a connection there. Sonja is the diminutive form in the Slavic family and that was also a really neat connection for me because that’s another name I’ve always really liked.

Aside from that, I very briefly considered Maggie when I first came out, but it didn’t really feel right. Ceinwyn and Gwen were names I went by for a time in an MMO in high school. I never really considered them as names once I came out as trans though.
for a while after my egg hatched i tried using feminized versions of my birthname but i never really liked any of em that much. i ended up deciding on "aria" after staying up real late on a school night playing The Legend of Zelda: the Wind Waker HD on the wii u, forgetting how to play the song that changes the wind's direction, opening up the menu that shows you the directions to press for each song, and i saw "Wind God's Aria" and the word "Aria" just sorta jumped out at me, i thought "yknow thatd be a cute/pretty name". then like a minute later i thought "wait it could be MY cute/pretty name!". didn't hurt that windy is one of my favorite things for weather to be
next day at school i went around asking my friends and even some kids i barely knew "hey what do you think of 'aria'. as like a name. like if i was named 'aria' what kinda name do you think thatd be" and i got a resoundingly unanimous "thats both pretty and cute" so ive latched on to it ever since ^_^

chiming in my experience too - i went from a bicurious boy, to a girl who tried to be straight, quickly changing to a lesbian, to a pansexual woman, and now I'm a pansexual enby who has no possible way to be straight in the first place (what is straight to someone outside of the binary, after all)
during that first jump from bicurious boy to girl trying to be straight, my thought process was that i had just discovered the word "transgender" from wikipedia, immediately thought "OH theres other people like me. thats a relief" and decided in that moment that since i knew i wasn't a boy, that must mean im a girl instead, cos thats like the only other option, right? and from there i looked at my sexual attraction and thought "oh maybe that bicuriosity was actually me being into guys all along, and really im straight? that'd be nice if i was straight, that way i'd only have to deal with marginalization for the trans thing, and not for being nonstraight too"
imperfect logic aside, that thought lasted probably at most a few weeks before i realized i, in fact, really liked girls, regardless of whether or not i was one of em
so right after i realized i wasnt a boy, if you asked me if i was "gay", i'd prolly say "no, im not even a guy." because at that time i was thinking of "gay" as meaning specifically "man-attracted men". but if you made that younger version of me use the word gay the way i currently do, as another way of saying queer except when opposed to the word "straight", i'd've probably said something like "i dunno, do i have to be? can i just be a girl instead?"

Somewhat related, I got called 'gay' in high school, and I hated it - much more than any other epithet that I can recall. And now I'm gay, yes, in the broader all-homosexual sense of the word. I've figured out that, exactly the same, back then I assumed "gay" meant "a male that desired other males". And that was doubly wrong so of course I hated it so much.

When I started seeing (other) CD/TVs on AOL, they all had fem names so obviously I needed one too. I decided I wanted the first initial to be the same as my then-existing first name, and thinking about women I liked that had S- names I remembered a girl named Sharon in grade school that was smart, funny, good-looking, and really nice to everyone even dorky unpopular kids like me, and so that's the one I started using.

Two decades later and about to transition, I still liked the same-first-initial idea, and I've felt comfortable with the name for a good long time so it was an easy call.

for a while after my egg hatched i tried using feminized versions of my birthname but i never really liked any of em that much. i ended up deciding on "aria" after staying up real late on a school night playing The Legend of Zelda: the Wind Waker HD on the wii u, forgetting how to play the song that changes the wind's direction, opening up the menu that shows you the directions to press for each song, and i saw "Wind God's Aria" and the word "Aria" just sorta jumped out at me, i thought "yknow thatd be a cute/pretty name". then like a minute later i thought "wait it could be MY cute/pretty name!". didn't hurt that windy is one of my favorite things for weather to be
next day at school i went around asking my friends and even some kids i barely knew "hey what do you think of 'aria'. as like a name. like if i was named 'aria' what kinda name do you think thatd be" and i got a resoundingly unanimous "thats both pretty and cute" so ive latched on to it ever since ^_^

This is a really cute story

I'm also someone else who was called "gay" a lot in school and there were times where I thought I might actually be gay because I was aware that there was something I just didn't know what.

I was trying to find names for game characters long before knowing that I'm trans.

For a long time I actually did use Sophia for many of the characters I made, not just for games but for just ideas that I wrote down that I wanted to develop further by drawing.

I haven't settled on a name yet because I feel like I need to find a name that isn't too different from my birth name, but I'm not sure about just going with a more feminine version of that name. Rebecca is a name that I found a couple of years ago for a character I wrote down that originally started as a male character that I felt didn't work until I changed the character to female. I later ended up using that name in Fallout 4 and since then every game that I've played that has character creation (unless the character has a specific name). I'm leaning towards that as it's close to my birth name but I'm not sure yet. It's not so much the name as the feeling that I don't want to anger or deceive anyone.

Also got called gay (or a girl) a lot in high school. One turned out to be considerably less untrue than the other.

I picked Geneviève because I wanted to keep my initials and it was the only name that felt like it could be me. And it's still how I feel about it - in hindsight I should have gone with Émilie which is now part of my full name but not my first name. But the nickname Evie (from the middle of Geneviève, also refering to how I went by Evil Figment in many online places, also also referring to Eevee from Pokémon)) is close enough to Émilie to play much the same role and more what I think of as me than Geneviève.

Affiliating elvish is at the least a touch feminine. And to be their lord, very feminine.

I haven't been versed in this forum's culture for a few years now but I believe this to be a compliment and am glad.

I enjoy this discussion, very amicable so far. I myself with limited knowledge on trans issues on a more personal level (seeing it only through the lens of political strife) can gain from a more humanizing perspective.

If I may put my own question in, however ignorant it may seem. How many trans people decide (mainly once they consider their transition complete) that they would rather not be referred to as trans and just by male/female? As in, a man transitions to female and once she is comfortable with herself decides to discontinue referring to herself as trans, and wishes for others to do the same. Is this common or a rarity? From what I gather most tend to embrace it, but there are probably those that are not active in the community who go unnoticed, likely because their reasoning is keeping it to themselves.

weird question, and phrased very strangely but we've seen a few prominent transitions online, and maybe it's just confirmation bias, but do you have any thoughts on this? like,
contrapoints was there from the start i guess
philosophy tube transitioned
james stephanie sterling transitioned
shammy (minor youtuber but a gal with a cult following) also transitioned
there's also a lot of transitions on this site recently.

so, the thoughts i'm curious about - it's just something i've thought over, since so many people in media i enjoy (breadtube and bread adjacent tube) and so many of my acquaintances here on cfc have transitioned. so maybe it's just happenstance or anecdotical, maybe more people are trans than the stats say, maybe it's partly social (which if were the case would be fine and i hate that some people make the hypothetical an issue).

(i really want to underline: even if it's just some form of "transtrending", something that increasingly happens socially - which i don't think it is - i'd like to note that i think there's no moral weight there. since y'know. there's no internal harm in transitioning, the problems are purely external as to society's handling of it.)

so those are my collected thoughts, here's my questions as to my experience: so this has happened a lot recently in circles i'm in. so:
- do you think it's just random/just me?
- do you think the stats underreport how many trans people there are?
- do you think likeminded people gather first and then transition later? (i tend to just immediately connect with mentally ill people more than regulars, later learning they have some diagnosis adjacent to mine - not that transgenderedness is a mental illness, i think you know the comparison)
- do you think it's because transgendered people are more prone to being critical of society for obvious reasons, meaning that the media i enjoy here, breadtube stuff, naturally will have a bunch of trans voices? (even the trans people i know irl are usually very inclined to introspection about the ailments of society)
- in extension of the latter, why so many people on cfc?

I enjoy this discussion, very amicable so far. I myself with limited knowledge on trans issues on a more personal level (seeing it only through the lens of political strife) can gain from a more humanizing perspective.

If I may put my own question in, however ignorant it may seem. How many trans people decide (mainly once they consider their transition complete) that they would rather not be referred to as trans and just by male/female? As in, a man transitions to female and once she is comfortable with herself decides to discontinue referring to herself as trans, and wishes for others to do the same. Is this common or a rarity? From what I gather most tend to embrace it, but there are probably those that are not active in the community who go unnoticed, likely because their reasoning is keeping it to themselves.

It's a really good question.
Speaking only for myself (as there's a stealth vs visibility debate in the general community), I'm now starting to mark myself as just plain F where I can, and not trans female (though I'll usually note in whatever profile comments that I'm trans, same as for other personal characteristics). It took me a while to shake off the 'imposter syndrome' of being transgender, and I'm most of the way to shaking off 'imposter syndrome' of being a woman. I suspect it won't ever completely go away, but adjusting what I see in the mirror (via makeup skills, monoxidil, and facial feminization surgery and possibly breast augmentation surgery) and hear when I talk (via lots and lots of practice and some coaching at talking in fem voice) should help a lot more too. I'd be surprised if I'm ever 100% "unclockable" (aka indistinguishable from someone assigned female at birth), and I think that currently leads me to a sort of assumption that I'll always be okay being called trans fem, by people that recognize that trans women are women. In the general public, I would prefer to 'go stealth' mostly for my own safety and security rather than any current feelings of being trans. But my feelings about being trans have been evolving bit by bit for a decent chunk of my life (and evolving much faster the last couple years) so I'm wary about predicting future-me's feelings about it all.

- do you think it's just random/just me?
- do you think the stats underreport how many trans people there are?
- do you think likeminded people gather first and then transition later? (i tend to just immediately connect with mentally ill people more than regulars, later learning they have some diagnosis adjacent to mine - not that transgenderedness is a mental illness, i think you know the comparison)
- do you think it's because transgendered people are more prone to being critical of society for obvious reasons, meaning that the media i enjoy here, breadtube stuff, naturally will have a bunch of trans voices? (even the trans people i know irl are usually very inclined to introspection about the ailments of society)
- in extension of the latter, why so many people on cfc?

Another good question, if phrased oddly. :)
My answers:
-It's not just you.
-Yes, especially among older folk.
-I think having, let's call them "transgender thoughts" typically dating back to preteens, are just chalked up to whatever. Then we see other people transitioning/transitioned and happy, and start realizing that that's actually an option. Once we think in even the slightest way we might be trans, it becomes a powerful common experience and the basis for social gatherings.
-I've seen that being trans has a relatively high correlation with being neuroatypical. I suspect being critical of society comes about as a reaction to society being so critical of us.
-Civ tends to draw neuroatypical types.

Last edited:
Top Bottom