Ask me about being a Staff Sergeant (Retired) in the Israeli Air Force!

Sh3kel

Emperor
So we've had a military thread about enlisting into a professional US Military branch of service, but I figured a lot of you guys are wondering what life is like in a conscription army - even it is the best conscription army in the world - so I decided to chime in and post some of my experience.

What are your credentials?
I got released from service this Sunday (Israel works Sundays, being the heathen nation we are...) as a Staff Sergeant in the IAF, after a succesful tour of duty of three years. I've been in service at HQ mostly, doing a lot of time in a personnel outfit - protocol, mostly - so don't expect any war stories. I'm not a combat veteran, I haven't been (directly) shot at, and I have never shot anybody. I've been to a hell of a lot of airbases, though.

So you haven't been shot at. What can you tell us?
General information regarding service, mostly. Such as - how the hell do you guys focus with all the hot female soldiers around you, how does your rank system work, who gets drafted and who doesn't, what are you actual views on the Israeli-Arab conflict and basically everything you guys want to know about army life with a few exceptions:

What can't you tell us?
Obviously I can't reveal unit locations, numbers, technological advantages and systems not made public already - all of these are a big no-no that would likely get me in trouble. I also can't tell you any names, or any details about specific projects currently underway in the IAF and IDF in general.

To save some time, here are a few answers to what I expect will be asked first...

Who serves in the IDF?
Everyone. Draft is mandatory for males and females age 18, for 36 months for us guys and 24 months for the girls. And by everyone, I mean everyone. We draft everyone without a life-threathening condition, and make arrangements for those who wish to volunteer despite being unfit to serve full time upon signing several waivers. I myself have asthma, which would almost immediately get me kicked out of the US Military, yet it was only enough to send me back to HQ down here.
The only populations exempt, aside the dead and dying, are the Israeli Arabs (who may volunteer at will), the ultra-orthodox Jews (half-jokingly referred to as parasites over this) studying in Religious Yeshivot and religious females. In case you're wondering - declaring you're a pacifist doesn't get you off the army - it gets you jail time and a psychiatric profile.

Wow, that sounds pretty brutal... how's training?
Obviously not everyone goes through the same boot camp considering we recruit people who are also physically impaired, so it varies depending on your unit. Air Force and rear-echelon training is pretty laid back, lasting between 2 weeks for females to up to 5 weeks for the unlucky males, mid-range field positions such as artillery, AA and armor core can go as far up as 8-10 weeks of basic followed by months of profession-specific training, to a full, grueling 8-month long slice of hell that's called Infantry training. Elite commando units have training stages which start with the end of 8 months basic infantry training, and depending on your unit you can go all the way up to a full 20 month course - the famed Sayeret Matkal course is such an example.

So not all Israelis can kill you in 20 different ways with a penny-sized rock?
Contrary to popular belief - no. Like most of the rest of the world, and despite our "training", the truth is that the vast majority of us still require a firearm to do any actual damage, and even then it depends greatly on each individual. While you are more likely to encounter grizzled veterans serving your hamburgers or riding the bus next to you without any of the actual psychotic rambling that tells they're vets, we're overall pretty peaceful - and getting a license to bear arms in this piece of desert is a hell of a procedure.

How are the statistics for suicides and substance abuse in the army?
Surprisingly, not that much higher than the rest of the Western world. Proper safety training with the weapon drilled into your subconcious being by your Plt. Sgt. accounts for what is generally a responsible nation of gun-owners, and thus gun-related accidents here aren't unheard of, but they're very, very rare considering the ammount of assault rifles we have walking around the country.
As for the use of drugs... well, reality says it's inevitable. This doesn't mean everyone is stoner, and slow reflexes out in the field will get you killed, so most of the cases of use are generally of rear-guard units or combat personnel off-duty. The army does randomly hold urine tests in its units and has a massive "overkill" policy on substance abuse - an acquaintance of mine was kicked out of the military (a big deal around here) and sent to a stockade for 56 days for possession of three joints.

So have you ever shot anyone?
As previously stated - no. Never.
I do have friends who command soldiers with kills to their names, but no one I personally know well has taken a life. Unlike me, however, they've been in several combat situations and at least one of them was involved in the recent war. I've also heard rumors one of them was involved in a screw-up which may or may not have resulted in seven civilian deaths, an incident which I haven't asked him about or have any intention to bring up again.

You're only 21... aren't you a bit young to be a Staff Sergeant?
Well, aren't you a bit short to be a stromtrooper?
Israeli ranks have a different structure than any other military I know. Unlike the US military, where your promotion automatically means a new pay-grade and requires you to deomsntrate ability to function in the requirements of your new rank - the IDF promotes its soldiers based on veterancy up until the reach the rank of Sergeant, and starts to promote on merit from Staff Sergeant onwards. Since we get paid jack-**** (SSgt's in conscription service make 360 NIS/month as basic pay, which comes to roughly about 80 dollars for rear-echelon SSgts and twice that with Hazardous Duty bonus), the ranks are the only thing we have that sets us apart from the other, younger idiots that didn't dodge the draft. We put a lot more emphasis as soldiers into "time left" than we do to ranks. A SSgt is revered by lower-ranking soldiers from different units not because of his rank - but because he's at most six months away from being released...

Does the same apply for officers?
Yes and no. The only promotion that's automatic is from 2nd Lt. to 1st Lt., which happens upon one year of completion of OCS. From 1st Lt. and up, it's based on having a position which warrants you veterancy and enables you to recieve a higher grade.
Again, unlike the US Military, all our combat-grade officers are pulled from the rank and file based on merit, and having a college degree isn't a requirement. Hell, the army even pays you less as a 2nd Lt. than it does as a SSgt...

You've mentioned pay briefly.. how does that pan out?
It doesn't. Conscription service gets you a basic salary of 352 NIS a month (80 USD) , with a maximum possible salary of 770 NIS (176 dollars) for hazardous duty for a conscripted SSgt in a combat unit. Officers get 400 NIS basic pay, and again - a maximum of 770 NIS hazardous duty paycheck.
When you hit the professional army, however, there's a large salary jump. A SSgt. makes 3,500 NIS (800 USD) basic pay, and can reach almost 7,000 NIS with hazardous duty and other misc. bonuses. A 1st Lt. in the same combat unit will make less than 7,000 NIS.

The average salary of my unit commanders at the Major level was around 18,000 NIS/month of basic pay with no type of hazardous duty bonuses, which comes to about 4100$/mo - or about twice as much as the average monthly salary in Israel...

Unconfirmed reports state that the General Chief of Staff of the IDF earns as much as 42,000 NIS/mo.

So, if anyone has a question - just bear in mind my timezone is GMT +02:00 and I got released this sunday. I might take my time getting to you, but I'll answer what I can to the best of my ability. Cheers!

So i hear in israel everybody has to serve in the military once in thier lifetime.

So how could you get out of it? What medical conditions must you have?

Is the training for the women just as tough?

How old are you when you get drafted?

Do you have to do combat?

Xanikk999 said:
So i hear in israel everybody has to serve in the military once in thier lifetime.

So how could you get out of it? What medical conditions must you have?
Anything life threathening, or potentially dangerous to others - diabetis, severe epylepsy, cancer, AIDS, psycothic episodes or an array of mental problems get you out, but then you face problems outside. Most people unfit for service volunteer anyway.

Is the training for the women just as tough?
Training is the same for both sexes, it's determined by your unit and position and not your genitals. At least in theory.

How old are you when you get drafted?
Generally 18, but you're elligible for the draft till age 26. 29 if you're a Doctor.

Do you have to do combat?
If medically fit, that's the general idea, but getting out of combat is relatively easy...

Sh3kel said:
Anything life threathening, or potentially dangerous to others - diabetis, severe epylepsy, cancer, AIDS, psycothic episodes or an array of mental problems get you out, but then you face problems outside. Most people unfit for service volunteer anyway.

Training is the same for both sexes, it's determined by your unit and position and not your genitals. At least in theory.

Generally 18, but you're elligible for the draft till age 26. 29 if you're a Doctor.

If medically fit, that's the general idea, but getting out of combat is relatively easy...

I would like to see some american floozy chicks being drafted.

They would be like "OUCH I broke a nail WAAAH".

So the women there are used to that?

How's work when an attack happens?

Xanikk999 said:
I would like to see some american floozy chicks being drafted.
They would be like "OUCH I broke a nail WAAAH".
So the women there are used to that?
They accept is as a reality. We have idiots that ***** about broken nails as well as well as regular GI Janes. It's something you learn to live with.

SS-18 ICBM said:
How's work when an attack happens?
Unless otherwise ordered, military personnel maintain their posts. Civilians may or may not get called to reserve service depending on the type and magnitude of the attack.

Sh3kel.

Congratulations ahi!

How was that?

Going to continue as reservist (miluimnik gehe ;)) ?

Leha said:
Sh3kel.

Congratulations ahi!

How was that?

Going to continue as reservist (miluimnik gehe ;)) ?
Too long, but it's ****ing over.
Thank god I'm a desk-jockey, though. No reserve duty... Ptor miluim :)

i thought sundays were shabbath and that you could get rocks thrown at your head for working on the sabbat by hassidic jews?

How are the IDF's relations with the Turkish military? Do you all participate in wargames together?

I'm a bit confused by your apparent splitting of the army into two sections. When you spoke of pay, you mentioned yourself, but then you mentioned the pay of those in the "professional" part. Could you elaborate on that a bit, please?

WHo do you personally consider the greatest Israeli military mind (of modern times...can't say Joshua! :D )? Dayan? Sharon? Someone else?

VRWCAgent said:
How are the IDF's relations with the Turkish military? Do you all participate in wargames together?
Yes, plenty of regional cooperation opportunities exist with the Turkish military. We've had naval and aerial excercises, I am unaware of any major land-based maneuvers in conjuction with the Turkish army.

I'm a bit confused by your apparent splitting of the army into two sections. When you spoke of pay, you mentioned yourself, but then you mentioned the pay of those in the "professional" part. Could you elaborate on that a bit, please?
Conscripts get paid 80 dollars a month as basic pay nearly regardless of rank, 160 dollars if they get maximum hazard pay.
The "professional" military has a different system based on veterancy, post and rank in which you start by earning roughly 800 dollars a month as basic pay, and can max out at around 1500-1600 a month with hazardous duty bonuses. We don't consider the military a carreer until you hit either Staff Sgt. as a professional rank or 1st Lt. in the professional army, since everything else is basically conscription.

WHo do you personally consider the greatest Israeli military mind (of modern times...can't say Joshua! :D )? Dayan? Sharon? Someone else?
Over the years we've had an incredible ammount of brilliant commanders. Tactically speaking, there have been such cases such as that of "Zvika Force" commanded by Capt. Zvika "Zvi" Greengold in which a single tank commander, after exchanging tank crews at least three times during the same night, managed to hold an entire Syrian division at bay by rapidly changing positions, the Entebbe operation commanded by Lt. Col. Yonni Netanyahu (Brother of former PM Benjamin Netanyahu, killed in action while commanding said operation) and several other insane strokes of military genius. Lt. Get. Itzhak Rabin was also said to be a competent leader and gallant officer, and Brig. Gen. Avigdor Kahalani is also one of the fiercest warriors we've ever had.

Just want to say that info you posted was already interesting.

Here's sort of a question: Is there anything you'd like to tell us? About war, being a soldier or anything you like really.

Sh3kel said:
the Entebbe operation commanded by Lt. Col. Yonni Netanyahu (Brother of former PM Benjamin Netanyahu, killed in action while commanding said operation)

:shock: Wow! Now I'm of course familiar with the Entebbe raid, but I was only 5 when it happened. I've seen the movies about it, and the character Yonni of course plays prominently in them, but I never would have guessed he was Bibi's brother.

Speaking of movies, Operation Thunderbolt, while not making my top 10, is easily in my top 20 movies of all time.

EDIT: What the... :shock: isn't a smiley here at CFC?!

Gelion said:
Just want to say that info you posted was already interesting.

Here's sort of a question: Is there anything you'd like to tell us? About war, being a soldier or anything you like really.
Anytime.
I've never actually been involved directly in combat. Most of my experience comes from supporting the troops in the rear front of the military - and even that is a questionable contribution. I've been in my share of air bases and seen the inside of (read: manned) two checkpoints as part of my service - only one of them actually active - but most of what I've seen and heard is from close second-hand sources such as friends of mine from high school. I don't have any "war" experiences per say, but there was this time I saw a Palestinian "shepered" perform acts of bestiality on a sheep from 400meters distance...

VRWCAgent said:
:shock: Wow! Now I'm of course familiar with the Entebbe raid, but I was only 5 when it happened. I've seen the movies about it, and the character Yonni of course plays prominently in them, but I never would have guessed he was Bibi's brother.

Speaking of movies, Operation Thunderbolt, while not making my top 10, is easily in my top 20 movies of all time.

EDIT: What the... :shock: isn't a smiley here at CFC?!
Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, Levi Eshkol, Golda Meir and obviously David Ben-Gurion are the only elected Israeli prime ministers not to have held a rank higher than Major in the Israeli army. Benjamin Netanyahu himself was a Major if I recall correctly in the same unit as his brother, and was wounded in a daring raid to free the hostages from a kidnapped Sabena Air jet in the 1970s...

AL_DA_GREAT said:
Were you ever worried about getting shot???
I didn't serve in a front-line position, so no. I was more worried about the random bus bombings or artillery strikes than I ever was about getting shot at.

i have a question, what are the things that israeli soldiers wear on their head?
its a baggy thing thing to be worn over the helmet i suppose but its hard to tell. its almost like an oversized shower cap kinda thing?

Why are Druze eligable for the draft? I understand their support for Israel but not the second part of the symbiotic relationship.

Top Bottom