ATI Graphics Card Owners: PLEASE READ

Is anyone running/not running the game with a Mobility Radeon 7000 64mb - or something very similar? I am very paranoid now and would be eternally grateful if someone could reassure me ;)

We also have a mobility redeon 32 mb just below the radeon 7500, and it does not work (no transform lighting). Guess we're buying a new computer to avoid the constant battle over who gets to play.

Hmmm OK Civ should at least work on my laptop then, as it has 448MB ram and T&L (Integrated graphics card sucks 64mb out of RAM :mad: ), and that seems to be the deciding factor for many cases so far... If not I could upgrade to 1GB ram and see if that helps :)

card: Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB (Sapphire Atlantis Advantage)
driver: Catalyst 5.10 (Control Center)
status: Civ4 (German DVD version) works fine so far, installation, intro movie, 10min playing

System is an AMD64, WinXP SP2, 1024MB RAM. I did install the DirectX 9 supplement files in the installation process, wasn't asked to reboot afterwards though (and I didn't, started playing right away).

yours
Markus

Card: ATI brand 9800 (non-pro)
Driver: Cats 5.9, ati2dvag.dll is 6.14.0010.6571 dated 8/30/2005
Works fine

dangarov said:
Hey! Anyone played CIV IV on a 32 mb video card? What were the problems if any?

I did. After hours of installing and reinstalling drivers, DirectX(s), Civ, reading posts related to the ATI cards problem... I installed it on my wife's PC. She has Rage 128 Pro II with 32 mb. Oh was I excited to see the opening screen of the game!
But.
The intro movie was choppy, and it was not possible to play the game. Colors, speed, blinking cursor, - I had to quit and now I am waiting for the further development of the ATI issue.

I wonder if having the CD or DVD version is making a big difference. A few people have mentioned having the DVD version and have said it works fine. I wonder if the CD version is flawed somehow. That's what I have, and I have the initialization error on a Radeon 9600.

I tried installing on both my laptop and desktop.

First, on my laptop, here are the specs
Dell Inspiron 5100
2.8GHz P4
1 Gb RAM
32 Mb ATI Mobility 7500 (no T&L)

For the laptop, it works fine till right at the point where the game would start and then just crashes out to the desktop. I tried installing the new Catalyst 5.10, but my video card doesn't support it so I installed the latest video drivers from the Dell website. That didn't work either so now I'm in the market for a new laptop.

Here are my Desktop specs
Dell Dimension 8400
3.2GHz P4
1 Gb RAM
ATI x300 w/128Mb RAM

I went and got Dell's latest drivers (Catalyst 5.8??) and got ATI's uninstaller. I uninstalled my old video drivers and then installed the new ones from Dell. The game works great on my desktop.

Hope this helps someone.

I have some more information. I installed the game including DirectX on CD. I have the following config:

Video card: ATI 9600XT
drivers: 5.10 (latest from ATI)
And the game wouldn't start with the same couldn't initialize rendered errors.

I tried all the possible workarounds and different driver versions in the forum. Nothing worked for me.

Then, I pulled out an extra GEForce 4 card I had laying around. I swapped video cards and Civ 4 now works great for me!

Note, that I did not re-install DirectX or civ 4, so this problem has *NOTHING* to do with DirectX!

Brett

Runs Flawlessly
CPU: 1.24 Ghz
Ram: 1 Gb
Video: ATI Radeon 9600 Atlantis
Sound: SB Audigy

Oh and CIV 4 RULZ

EDIT: about a week ago there was a windows SP2 update, specifically for ATI card compatibility issues it was not considered a critical update so is not downloaded automatically. Maybe this has something to do with this I dont know all i know is it works for me.)

here's my experience with this mess:

I installed Civ IV, and it kept crashing on startup. I tried pretty much every suggestion I could find on the forums. Firaxis claims that the new drivers should work, however, so I decided to believe them and take the most drastic measure - a complete reinstall of Windows.

I wiped my hard drive clean, so that there could not possibly be anything left over from old driver installations. I installed Windows. Then, I installed my sound card drivers, then the 5.10 Catalyst drivers. I ran the Direct X installer on the Civ4 cd, and that installed fine. Finally, I installed Civ4. I rebooted between the install of each piece of software. Civ4 still does not run. Firaxis obviously seriously dropped the ball on this and didn't do nearly enough testing of different hardware configurations for this game. I am returning the game today.

By the way, my video card is a Radeon 9800 Pro 128 Mb.

-Jared

GrokMoo, try installing the Catalyst 5.8 drivers and running with those instead of the 5.10 drivers.

Top Bottom