Atomic bombs overpowered?

Thomazo

Chieftain
I can just like that capture really strong cities as long as I have an atomic bomb or two, aren't they a bit too powerful? That kind of damage and they don't even take THAT long to build

Yes, they are overpowered. But they're supposed to be. First, you need to dedicate a good amount of production into the Manhattan Project - which will alert opponents to your plan. Then, you need Uranium, which might not be anywhere near your borders. Then finally, once you do drop the bomb, you're going to end up with a semi-useless city to capture given the damage it's done. Oh, and the world will hate you.
So yeah, it makes sense they're that strong, there's enough downsides to them as well.

I agree, and I wouldn't mind having an option in the advanced settings to turn them off. Particularly in multiplayer.

First, you need to dedicate a good amount of production into the Manhattan Project - which will alert opponents to your plan.
...but the AI doesn't react to it.
Then, you need Uranium, which might not be anywhere near your borders.
...but you can pretty much always get it from another Civ or a city state.
Then finally, once you do drop the bomb, you're going to end up with a semi-useless city to capture given the damage it's done.
...but at the point that you get atomic bombs you don't really care about new cities anyway.
Oh, and the world will hate you.
...but that doesn't matter anymore at that point.

And that's the problem I have with nukes - there are supposed to be downsides, but in reality they don't really matter. Nukes are basically a board wipe and make the late game really silly.

The "Really advanced setup"-AddOn also has an option to disable nukes aside from all the other useful stuff it comes with.

Where can I get that add on? Is it just a normal mod that I can DL?

The AI definitely takes notice. Once one civ builds the Manhatten project, all the rest tend to follow ASAP.

The only time I've found nuclear weapons OPed is when I had a huge tech lead, but then again ... I had a huge tech lead. So ...

However, I do agree there should be an option to disable them, they can seriously rain tons of sh*t on your parade. Or, conversely, you can quite easily take out a rival who is close to a science victory. Especially, if they went tall. Just drop one nuke per city and maybe two on the capital and you've set them back at least 40 turns.

...but the AI doesn't react to it.

The AI is badly flawed, that's well known. This is a problem with the AI, not nukes.

...but you can pretty much always get it from another Civ or a city state.

True, but it's very situational. Everyone seems to be spiraling into a crazy, warmongering state by the atomic era, and it can be very hard or expensive to acquire late on, especially for tall players such as myself.

The biggest drawback is the risk of being nuked yourself (I'm looking at you, Gandhi).

I won't argue they're not overpowered, though they are a lot of fun as long as you're not the one being nuked. I usually rush for Advanced Ballistics so I can push through Non-Nuclear Proliferation at the UN, but only after I've built a few nukes myself, as a deterrent.

But then again they are pretty powerful and overpowered IRL as far as I'm aware

I like them the way they are. Playing "Find the Nuke" is a great way to add spice to an otherwise uneventful game.

I disagree. ... i had my Japan army nuked once and did damage my troops badly. Thanks to bushido though my troops were still able to attack at full strength.

Compared to IRL nuclear bombs, they are vastly underpowered.

Well, IRL-Nukes can be intercepted. ^^

Honnestly, I'm not even sure of that. Since (fortunatly!) they haven't been a real life interception attempted on a nuke, I doubt, even the most advanced country in that technology (USA & Israel come to mind) can say they can realiably 100% intercept any nuke.
If it was 1 single or maybe a dozen I might be possible. But if you consider a full scale nuking wave, over 100 warheads (which is what I consider a CIV nuke representing) then interception is hardly possible in the time being :nuke:

But then again they are pretty powerful and overpowered IRL as far as I'm aware

Of course.

Atom bombs are overpowered because they really are. In fact they`re nerfed compared to the real ones. People need to learn to deal with it like we have to do in real life.

Honnestly, I'm not even sure of that. Since (fortunatly!) they haven't been a real life interception attempted on a nuke, I doubt, even the most advanced country in that technology (USA & Israel come to mind) can say they can realiably 100% intercept any nuke.
If it was 1 single or maybe a dozen I might be possible. But if you consider a full scale nuking wave, over 100 warheads (which is what I consider a CIV nuke representing) then interception is hardly possible in the time being :nuke:

At this time it`s not possible. One or two maybe, like you say, but the whole point is they`d send dozens of them (even more) at one time.

Also, when America is able to intercept every nuke thrown at them (or any country) then nukes will fail as a deterrent.

Top Bottom