Autumn 2017 Patch General Discussion

I'm not in the late game, and I don't have an IZ anywhere near this city.

What game speed are you playing? I usually play epic, and 2 turns is pretty normal from maybe Modern age on.

What game speed are you playing? I usually play epic, and 2 turns is pretty normal from maybe Modern age on.

Marathon, and currently in the Renaissance. And this is definitely not a production-heavy city. I only have 1 mine and a few Kampung for production. Granted, I didn't play much after the summer patch, but this seems inordinately cheap for repairs compared to before.

I also just took a few cities, and they had normal looking repair costs.

This is exactly what I am saying, it's a huge pain if you are wanting to play politics.

To be fair, with the fixing of religion things are better, the game is going in the right direction. The lack of CS in the game at higher levels is a pain and they are way too easy to take as there is no difficulty level fighting them. Walls would be good..
Warmongering is still fairly useless but I feel with UN or similar coming this should make things much more interesting and hopefully diplomacy more important.
If they can make the UI more ergonomic that will make a big difference and all in all I think the game will be quite playable. Yes the AI is not the best but that is the price you pay if you want some tactics in there.

Probably my own fault for not checking it better but I just suffered a cultural defeat...
I had been keeping an eye on the victory screen but it didn't catch my eye right away that America's culture bubble was almost full instead of almost empty. I knew they were leading in both science and culture but with only three cities I die expect a cultural victory so early in the game (1800).
Pretty crucial info should be more readily available imo.

I'm sure this has already been pointed out, but didn't they say they were going to clean up gossip? I'm still getting told I sent a delegation to someone or that I traded with someone.

Pretty crucial info should be more readily available imo.
I'm always looking at the victory summary screen because there is such a lot of important info there it is a bit annoying but when I have to add up 10 odd values per civ to see their diplomatic status is just silly.
The screenshot showed friendly but the value was 0, you really need to be able to tie those together quickly. It will be a lot more important when the UN comes along.

Current Emperor game, took out Germany before I met anyone and have been friendly since, continents, standard.... only other naval power is Harald who loves me and we are allies... him and his 3 caravels... we are allies which was easy but the balance between civs now seems better some like me, some dislike me, it's feeling about right.

Last edited:
What's the quickest and most efficient way for me to get the best deal for my luxury resource? Right now I talk to every individual leader, see if they'll take 100 gold for it, if not move on to the next leader. If they do take 100 gold for it, increase the value by 10-50 until they stop accepting. This is insanely time consuming and I feel like the majority of my time in every game is spent trying to get the best deal for my luxury. I can't even skip over the leaders who have red angry faces because they sometimes give me a better deal than people with green happy faces.

I know that I can offer up the luxury and ask them, "What will you give me for this?" But this is still time consuming and I need to change it anyway since they often throw in something that I don't want like open borders, so I need to take that out and replace it with more money instead.

Just finished a pure RV game. There are definitely some pretty big bugs with religious unit movement now.

Pathfinding on the religious layer is a mess, units go halfway along one path and then double back to try another path.

Left clicking on the map after selecting a religious unit often make it move to that position. Makes dragging the map with a religious unit selected dangerous.

New religious lens is a big improvement, but still covers up other units and the terrain too much.

Religious unit icons show up really off-center of their tiles, often seeming like they're on an entirely different tile.

Religious units often stack when being told to attack, which makes the attack invalid for the rest of the turn.

Religious units can be told to heal in foreign territory, but inconsistently. Sometimes the button is disabled and claims they can't heal in foreign territory. Don't know whether they actually can or not.

I suspect a lot of these movement issues are tied to religious ZoC.

==========================

The ideas in this patch were great, but I'm seeing a lot of new bugs and mistakes.

Upside, the general feel of the religious game now is much, much better. Gurus are a great addition. The AI is actually pretty decent at repelling religious attacks too. Ironically, their biggest weakness now is their reluctance to spam units.

Last edited:
Although the AI is very aggressive they do seem to have fixed all the diplomacy issues that were added on the last patch. I've had no trouble getting alliances and joint wars. And was successful in keeping alliances despite quite a bit of warmongering. And the trade deals seem good.

All in all I'm very happy with this patch.

I started a session where I was wiped out by Montezuma by turn 20 after losing my first warrior to barbarians, and another in which three CSes were dead by turn 25 or so (as well as Palenque, thanks to an ... unusual ... starting position)

But otherwise the AI seems pretty passive - endless denunciations with no actual wars, and when wars happen the AI doesn't make any actual effort to fight, at least other AIs. I had full visibility with Macedon as they milled around Kongo cities occasionally pillaging things and never being attacked back, and when they besieged Kinshasa they left it alone again the following turn.

What's the quickest and most efficient way for me to get the best deal for my luxury resource?
I am assuming you want gold. Other 'best deals' are more complicated.

Look at the leaders... those that denounce you will give you very little so they are not worth checking, ever ... unless you are desperate.

From the rest, go into their deal screen and click on their GPT until it stops. Any with less than 10 are unlikely to give you a fair deal (6GPT). Any over that are likely to give you 6 or around that. The value will increase with ages.

You are likely to get more from one currently at war as their weariness will grow.

If you are after a lump sum because you want to take their money and then attack them then ypubwill get less because only a stupid leader gives the same value as a Lump sum. If you are after the best one off price then look to declared friends and allies but I am not convinced the difference is much. I have not done enough research.

Every now and then a leader will give more, it may be each leader has a preference but AI see no proof so feel it is an annoying random thing not worth the clicks.

When I want to check, I increase to all their gold and then click the what would you suggest button, seems the easiest way to get roughly their highest

The map pin bug hasn't been fixed. This is unfortunate because I like pinning all sorts of stuff like future city sites and future district zones. The bug mixes the labels up, so for example what I once labeled "city" will change to "industrial".

Yeah, that needs fixing for them to be worth using heaps. And I'd like to use them much more for city planning (given how important that is) but only if I can have pins on a layer that can be switched off so they aren't cluttering up my entire screen :undecide:

I'm sure this has already been pointed out, but didn't they say they were going to clean up gossip? I'm still getting told I sent a delegation to someone or that I traded with someone.

Much of what has been removed is related to buildings that are one or two era's behind where you are at. So you'll still get many updates, esp if all civs are at similar places in both trees.

What's the quickest and most efficient way for me to get the best deal for my luxury resource? Right now I talk to every individual leader, see if they'll take 100 gold for it, if not move on to the next leader. If they do take 100 gold for it, increase the value by 10-50 until they stop accepting. This is insanely time consuming and I feel like the majority of my time in every game is spent trying to get the best deal for my luxury. I can't even skip over the leaders who have red angry faces because they sometimes give me a better deal than people with green happy faces.

I know that I can offer up the luxury and ask them, "What will you give me for this?" But this is still time consuming and I need to change it anyway since they often throw in something that I don't want like open borders, so I need to take that out and replace it with more money instead.

What Victoria said; but I think if you want to optimise your trades down to the best possible outcome, the only way to do that is to pay the price of the time it takes shopping your lux around.

I started a session where I was wiped out by Montezuma by turn 20 after losing my first warrior to barbarians, and another in which three CSes were dead by turn 25 or so (as well as Palenque, thanks to an ... unusual ... starting position)

Ah, yea the map spawns seem pretty bizarre using ordinary settings. I did a few tests where I played the starts for a little, and recorded a video.

There's 4 starts all on King/Normal/Standard/Continents and purely uncut footage, so for reference the timestamps are 1:35 19:40 37:55 43:52 but notably 37:55 is the particularly ridiculous start for more than one reason. I actually froze for a second because it was so stupid. Not only did I spawn in the middle of a useless desert, Gorgo's right there too.

One thing I noticed was that it was rather hard to get a joint war going. Normally if the option is available, they'll go for it.

Also in game 4 I popped a builder from a hut. That seems a bit too strong. The first 2 games were sorta normal, so not much to say about them-- but then again game 2 was an isolated start so I really don't know.

I'll also include the saves, but some of them aren't turn 0 because apparently 4000 BC autosaves are not useful things.

Attachments

• FREDERICK BARBAROSSA 1 4000 BC.Civ6Save
    353.3 KB · Views: 37
  • TRAJAN 14 3480 BC.Civ6Save
    769 KB · Views: 59
  • SALADIN 18 3320 BC.Civ6Save
    775.6 KB · Views: 57
  • PHILIP II 1 4000 BC.Civ6Save
    368.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
From the rest, go into their deal screen and click on their GPT until it stops. Any with less than 10 are unlikely to give you a fair deal (6GPT). Any over that are likely to give you 6 or around that. The value will increase with ages.
To find how much GPT they are getting, I click on their GPT and change it to 100. It will reset to total GPT.

Starts are mostly okay for me except on the east asia map. That is really tight (intentionally).

I'm finding it even more difficult than normal to play peacefully though. At least one nearby civ each game is super aggressive and coordinates a strong first attack. I might just be rusty though.

I only played a few games since the last patch, but are the restart button and game setting configuration saves new?

Last edited:
The map pin bug hasn't been fixed. This is unfortunate because I like pinning all sorts of stuff like future city sites and future district zones. The bug mixes the labels up, so for example what I once labeled "city" will change to "industrial".

I can't believe a completely feature-breaking bug like this is still in the game after a year. It should have been fixed in the first patch.

I'm going to try to find a way to reliably re-create the map pin bug then post it in the bugs forum. Maybe the reason why it hasn't been fixed is because it's not clear what causes it.

Has anyone found out the key technologies and civics, which provide bonuses to the kampung? I'm currently playing Indonesia in late game and I'm sudenly getting between 20 and 40 housing from improvements... This has to have something to do with the Kampung's being upgraded and providing addtitional housing. .

EDIT: Okay Kampungs are definetly giving 2 housing in late game.. just checked it

Top Bottom