AveiMil's Multiplayer Map Pack!

AveiMil

Prince
Hello,

Download the Multiplayer Map pack here!

Quite a few hours have been poured into creating balanced multiplayer maps for a monthly (or so) LAN that a local group is organizing and as such I’ve decided to share these with the online community.

We primarily play team games with two players on each team. When you play a small map (designed for 5 players) with 6 players you always got some severe geographical positional problems; leading to a big advantage for one team over the other(s) (and I’m not just talking about resources and how rich the land is). Although you loose the exploration aspect with premade balanced maps that is still worth it considering you might waste 2-3 hours on a 2on2on2 game that you essentially have no chance of winning from turn 1. After several games like that you realize that’s just not fun.

Thus I’ve created balanced maps that offer identical starting locations. Note that I have tried to give each player on each map several different options in regards to where the player should settle its first city. On all maps there should be at least 2 or 3 (Mother’s Belt have about 5) good starting locations to settle your first city only one or two turns away. Settling in place is definitely not always the best choice. (Settle towards early Marble->loose early food. Settle towards early happy cap/commerce resources-> loose early food). This should add to the replay value of each map.

The available maps can be found below.

AveiMil's Blood Diamond

Spoiler :

A symmetrical diamond shaped map made for 4-8 players. Optimal for 2on2on2on2. Starting locations offer plenty of variation (settling in place may not be recommended). Wraps in both north/south and west/east.

If you play teams pair the players as such:

Team1: Player 1 and Player 5 (north)
Team2: Player 2 and Player 6 (east)
Team3: Player 3 and Player 7 (south)
Team4: Player 4 and Player 8 (west)

AveiMil's Mountain's Cross

Spoiler :

A symmetrical cross shaped map made for 4-8 players. Optimal for 2on2on2on2. Starting locations offer plenty of variation (settling in place may not be recommended). Wraps only in west/east.

Team1: Player 1 and Player 5 (north)
Team2: Player 2 and Player 6 (east)
Team3: Player 3 and Player 7 (south)
Team4: Player 4 and Player 8 (west)

There's also a 3-6 player map variation created in a hurry based upon the peninsulas. It's not completely balanced (as it is close to impossible to create a 3-team geometric shape that is completely balanced in Civ4) but it should be OK. The starting location area is copied from the 4-8 player map.

Team1: Player 1 and Player 4 (west)
Team2: Player 2 and Player 5 (east)
Team3: Player 3 and Player 6 (south)

AveiMil's Treasure Island

Spoiler :

A small isle map created for 3-6 players but is probably best suited for 4 as otherwise the team in the middle will struggle. Wraps only in the west/east.

Team1: Player 1 and Player 2 (west (north/south Isle's))
Team2: Player 3 and Player 4 (east (north/south Isle's))
Team3: Player 5 and Player 6 (centre Isle's)

AveiMil's Mother's Belt

Spoiler :

A terrestrial belt type map created for a balanced 2on2on2 situation. This is the only true balanced geometrical shape I've found possible in Civ4 for a 3-team scenario. Wraps in all directions. All players are essentially "in the middle".

Team1: Player 1 and Player 4
Team2: Player 2 and Player 5
Team3: Player 3 and Player 6

This maps should be fairly good for a 1on1on1 as well.

There's also a 4-8 player variation of this map available. It is exactly the same except it's a bit longer to accommodate the 2 extra player slots.

All players should be given time to study the maps in the World Builder before you play.

Installation Instructions
Simply download the .zip file and uncompress the contents. Copy the .CivBeyondSwordWBSave files into your WorldBuilder folder: My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Saves\WorldBuilder

Then load the game and select the map by choosing custom scenario.​

Download the Multiplayer Map pack here!

Feedback is very much appreciated! Please let me know if you find any “bugs” or problems with the maps.

Thanks goes to MapView; a good tool that assisted me in creating these maps.

Regards,
AveiMil

If you are looking to play these maps versus the AI I recommend using the maps placed in the PvAI Maps folder. These maps have modified starting locations for the AI as settling in place is not the best option for most of the maps (since the AI always settle in place).

This looks awesome :D

Once I'm able to play CIV again I'll be sure to play these in PvAI :)

Looks great. I'll try some of these maps in some league games and give you some feedback.

That's great! Exactly what I want. Thanks! :)

Top Bottom