February 2024 Challenge - The Head of Cyrus

Hellcard isn’t a 4X—maybe I’m misunderstanding your point here.

Regardless, I’m not saying that card combat couldn’t be implemented in a 4X game. It surely could. You don’t need to convince me of that :)

Rather, I’m specifically saying that it feels like it wouldn’t fit in with the mainline Civ series. That level of randomness in combat is better suited for games with fantasy or sci-fi settings. Overall, implementing card combat in Civ would likely turn off a lot of players.

Regardless, I’m not saying that card combat couldn’t be implemented in a 4X game. It surely could. You don’t need to convince me of that :)

Rather, I’m specifically saying that it feels like it wouldn’t fit in with the mainline Civ series. That level of randomness in combat is better suited for games with fantasy or sci-fi settings.

Yes, this is why Beyond Earth 2 should be up next, rather than Civ VII.

Watch this presentation from IGDC23 where Firaxis shared how they came up with Marvel's Midnight Suns's card combat.

(I'm pretty sure I've shared this before...but it's worth watching a second time. Pay attention this time!)

As for the lil challenge, Head of Cyrus, I was kind of confident in my first roll and launched a horsemen attack but failed halfway through the map.
Second roll I researched all the way to GDRs who eventually took like 4 cities before finally taking pasargadae. I lost all 4 of my GDRs but the jet bombers did the job with a few tanks doing the occupation. I also used a few missile cruisers during the bombardment. :hug:
On emperor difficulty of course.

Last edited:
I won’t be able to watch this so please do report if anything happens that is worth fanaticizing about :popcorn:

Next week's challenge is titled "The Ides of March", however counterintuitively, it's about the Fall of Rome. You still play as Julius, so that's appropriate. Another anachronism is that you start with Legions, but haven't researched them yet.

It's pretty odd.

Surprisingly, Carl is just playing it for the first time today. He's apparently been busy elsewhere.

There are objects on the shelves in the background, both behind Pete and the TV. If a person were so inclined, they could try to infer something from them.

it must have been opposite day at the studio but one guy missed the memo

Incredibly strange discrepancies... are these intentional? Why?

So I skimmed through the livestream.
Carlbarian made an ordeal of the Cyrus challenge. 😆

Ides of March looks more my kinda challenge.
I think I will turn it into a mod/scenario, cos I love maps.

Top Bottom