February 2024 Challenge - The Head of Cyrus

Finally done on emperor, took way to long. Tried first with fast GDR spawn strategy, but other already had them more then me. Then i tried to nuke capitol, but GDR def block every nuke which you send. Eventually, i nuked their uranium sources so then their GDR was not effective anymore so i was finally able to nuke capitol.

Attachments

• Civ6Screen0006.gif
    Civ6Screen0006.gif
    873.9 KB · Views: 81
Finally done on emperor, took way to long. Tried first with fast GDR spawn strategy, but other already had them more then me. Then i tried to nuke capitol, but GDR def block every nuke which you send. Eventually, i nuked their uranium sources so then their GDR was not effective anymore so i was finally able to nuke capitol.
Oh man, I wouldn't brag about that if I were you.

Over on Steam ppl posted they have done it in ~50 turns!

Remember you just need to capture the capital for dual domination.

Oh man, I wouldn't brag about that if I were you.

Everyone is entitled to play the game as they please. My first try at this game I am stretching it out. With only 1 opponent, it's pretty easy to get choice wonders. :D Yeah I could rush it, but I wanted to explore the map. Persia is pretty far away, so while I could have rushed him, I wasn't sure where he was to begin with. So I decided to go builder mode.

Yeah, my first try I explored what felt like a long way in the north, didn't see them and thought was blocked in by city-states, so I started assuming he was more around the south of the lake. But then I didn't see anything there either and got confused. And by that point even with a bunch of horsemen they don't do anything going up against 50 strength city defenses behind walls since I think Cyrus got Man at Arms and Crossbows a lot faster than it took me to cross the land...

It's a fair ways around the map that I think you'd have to have a pretty optimal setup, maybe get lucky and have Cyrus distracted by barbarians while you get an early kill, for me to feel comfortable horse rushing him. I'm not the fastest, and I'm pretty sure no matter how many horsemen I have the turn before I took his city he'd get walls up there.

Given it's a dual map, though, I wonder if the easier strategy is getting those horsemen out early, but not really worrying about taking his cities and just have them run around pillage and distract him. A horseman should be able to take a hit without dying for a while, so with enough of them, maybe even a lucky nearby settler snag, you could probably stall him out long enough to maybe even get lucky and leverage a close CS for some catapults or something.

I tried a 50 turn victory for my 2nd game, it ain't happening. I got his walls down to 1/8, but ran out of melee units. He has a massive army including immortals. I do think I'll have to play the long game. As for my first game, I just went for his capital in the end, he had too many GDR's and I wasn't going bother to take all his cities, too tedious. Now I see where the uranium spawns, can't let him have all those sources.

I played it on Emperor and won at the first try, but it wasn't that easy. Luckily his capital was to the east of his empire and uncovered by his other cities, so I captured it eventually without attacking other cities. I won when I was nearing the end of the Renaissance game era, IIRC, and I'm not sure if it would have been a good idea to postpone my decisive strike until any later. And it was of help for my melee and anti-cavalry units to have the following bonuses: the Oligarchy government, the Military Advisory resolution with Outcome A, the Twilight Valor Dark Age policy card slotted during a Dark Age, and being suzerain of Akkad city-state for walls attacks. Quite a nice challenge. I like how they create these challenges, each with a different theme and concentrating on a different aspect of gameplay, so the game feels quite fresh with each new challenge.

Got my 2nd victory. I will say if you are aggressive in expansion, you can snag the natural wonder Galapagos islands and hem him in in both the North and the South. Of course he jumps ahead by doing this, and it takes a while to catch up. But I had a nice epic war at the end, so that was pretty cool. This time taking every one of his cities. Not too much challenge, the main challenge is trying to keep your religion. :D

I tried a 50 turn victory for my 2nd game, it ain't happening. I got his walls down to 1/8, but ran out of melee units. He has a massive army including immortals. I do think I'll have to play the long game. As for my first game, I just went for his capital in the end, he had too many GDR's and I wasn't going bother to take all his cities, too tedious. Now I see where the uranium spawns, can't let him have all those sources.

You guys are right in trying to deprive Cyrus of strategics.
Perhaps several eras too late?

He can't build Immortals without iron, so you gotta prevent him from building iron mines.

I won comfortably at T60. Emperor.
No save scumming.
20240220122727_1.jpg
20240220122809_1.jpg

I sent my first warrior west towards Cyrus (I think I may have even spent gold on delegate) if only to be able to explore his territory and sit on iron (so he can't develop it into a mine).
Purchased a Hypaspist and Man-At-Arms from barb clans and placed my first gov in Akkad to use them to take out cap walls.

Nice ~20/30 min game. Perfect for lunch break.

👇
Spoiler T60 :

20240220132509_1.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say they're at least getting the livestream machinery (metaphorically speaking) up and running again in preparation.

Yeah. I wouldn't say it's necessarily in preparation for a Civ VII announcement. Their last livestream was only 5 months ago.
Anyway it will be in preparation for Beyond Earth 2 🤪

Announcing Beyond Earth 2 in lieu of Civ 7, more than 7 years after Civ 6 released, would be nearly as tone deaf as “Do you guys not have phones?”

Regardless of this being the unpopular, minority opinion...I'm 100% certain Civ VII is going to have card combat.

But I'm also sure Firaxis is not going to want to repeat the mistake of Marvel's Midnight Suns:
many of you Civ/4Xs are not going to like the idea of card combat and potentially this could be a huge disaster if Civ VII with card combat is indeed released next.

After the MMS fiasco, they will take a less risk averse route and introduce card combat into the "Civilization franchise" in a Beyond Earth follow-up.
Once Civ-ers have got over the shock of card combat and Firaxis iron out the kinks in Beyond Earth 2(?) then it can confidently make it into Civ VII.

There is no doubt Firaxis have identified Marvel's Midnight Suns' card combat as its no.1 innovation.
They chose to present it at IGDC23 last year.

We also know Ed Beach is huge card game fan.

I mean the Civ VI monthly challenges, the Eras & Alliances mobile game partnership for China are clearly stop gap measures for an anticipated lull until Civ VII.

Soz.

Regardless of this being the unpopular, minority opinion...I'm 100% certain Civ VII is going to have card combat.

But I'm also sure Firaxis is not going to want to repeat the mistake of Marvel's Midnight Suns:
many of you Civ/4Xs are not going to like the idea of card combat and potentially this could be a huge disaster if Civ VII with card combat is indeed released next.

After the MMS fiasco, they will take a less risk averse route and introduce card combat into the "Civilization franchise" in a Beyond Earth follow-up.
Once Civ-ers have got over the shock of card combat and Firaxis iron out the kinks in Beyond Earth 2(?) then it can confidently make it into Civ VII.

There is no doubt Firaxis have identified Marvel's Midnight Suns' card combat as its no.1 innovation.

I mean the Civ VI monthly challenges, the Eras & Alliances mobile game partnership for China are clearly stop gap measures for an anticipated lull until Civ VII.

Soz.
Other than your wet finger in the wind, what proof do you have? :) 100% sure ought to mean you have insider information or some source.

Soz.
I REALLY love MMS as a game, and the whole combat system with environment usefulness etc...

But there's just NO possible way this makes its way into a game like CIV...

Yes Ed Beach likes cards... And we've had them in CIV6... 4 types of cards... That's as far as I see this going.

Inserting MMSs combat system in CIV would not only be hysterical, it would be sinful and break the game...

Sorry

Inserting MMSs combat system in CIV would not only be hysterical, it would be sinful and break the game...

Sorry
👆 This is exactly the response I expect from ~90% of Civ gamers.

Exactly why Beyond Earth 2 needs to be Civ Next.

Try out Hexarchy.
There's a free demo on Steam.

Some of the prolific Civ modders have flocked to Hellcard.

Check out its gameplay.

I really don't see either of those things happening (BE2, especially not before Civ 7; and card-based combat).

Top Bottom