Avoiding the flood of previews

Are you avoiding the preview videos and information?

• Avoiding the previews

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Watching all the Let's Play I can

Votes: 44 43.6%
  • Only watching those produced by Firaxis

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • Watching one youtuber's Let's Plays

Votes: 38 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fromeast2west

Warlord
I'm excited about the new game (already pre-ordered and have been playing Civ V again), and I used to look forward to all the little glimpses we got as the game was developed.

Now I'm mostly avoiding all the info and preview play videos because I want my first games to be about discovery.

That sort of matches how I've played Civ at times too. I enjoy the early game and the challenge of building up a dominant system, but some times stop playing a game once I know I'm going to beat all the other civs.

Is anyone else avoiding the flood of info that's out now?

I could also use an in between option. I've been watching previews, but can't really drag myself through a full Let's Play without getting bored of watching.

More so watching the civs that I feel are pretty easy to understand/are pretty general in their unique abilities and holding off on games like those of Kongo and Rome. If there's like a systemic unique attribute (i.e. not being able to found a religion, immediately having roads between each city, etc.) I want to sort of figure that out myself. But for civs like England and Greece and Japan, I'll watch them just to see how the games play out diplomatically and in terms of the speed of progression. I'm mostly trying to discern how things evolve across the entire game, so that it's clearer if things get stable or how diplomacy plays out.

In between option is missing. I watched couple of LPs, but definitely not watching everything.

Most of them was solo players learning to play and we just didn't have anyone good enough to get Civ VI mechanics on their own, that highly devalued most of the let's plays.

Now we get live streams it's taking advantage of the river of minds and it's really improving the streams.

Is anyone else avoiding the flood of info that's out now?

I'm spending most of my time creating my own guide based on the info available. I've only watched a few minutes of LPs so far - decided a few weeks ago that I wanted to blow back the first Fogs of War myself, not watch other people do it. The LPs can wait until I've played the game.

I like to know roughly what I'm doing, and have followed the First Looks and Firaxis livestreams slavishly. For me the discussion and piecing together is a big part of the fun. But now we're in Youtuber territory I have to say I'm less interested finding out every last detail, and don't want to watch too many. I've seen a couple of videos of what I'm interested in, but I'd like for the bulk of the middle game to be quite fresh.

I guess it's good the previews only have half the civs so there's still new stuff for everyone's first game.

I am not strong enough to avoid anything about Civ6.

I want it so badly so I get everything I can even when I know it might be bad for me.

In between. I watch some here and there but I'm really bored by these Prince game.

Same here. I watched early eras of some LPs and wanted to keep late game a mistery to discover by myself, and the lack of intensity of the prince AI just made it very easy.

I was watching some but got tired of all the moving around of the tech's its all the we will research a couple turns but sometime down the road we might get the eureka bonus , and the going back and forth having started on 6 researches but not finishing. If you would just not worry about the eureka you could have done like 2 of them

I've been watching Quill's LPs. His playstyle is so different from mine that I don't really feel like it's spoiling my experience. ;)

I've watched some of Marbozir's LP, but decided to wait to play myself in the middle. Maybe will watch some more if the waiting will be painful.

I also stopped about 7 episodes into Marbozir's Greece playthrough. I really generally like everything he produces, but these get really dull -watching him rampage over the AI. I like the parts where he explains mechanics, but mostly he's just over-planning how he's going to take this next piece of candy from which baby.

I wish he'd start a new series and wait 10-20 turns before settling as others have suggested in order to artificially raise the difficulty to somewhat match his skill level and give us a look at what the game is like when there is something closer to relative parity in competition.

I also stopped about 7 episodes into Marbozir's Greece playthrough. I really generally like everything he produces, but these get really dull -watching him rampage over the AI. I like the parts where he explains mechanics, but mostly he's just over-planning how he's going to take this next piece of candy from which baby.

I wish he'd start a new series and wait 10-20 turns before settling as others have suggested in order to artificially raise the difficulty to somewhat match his skill level and give us a look at what the game is like when there is something closer to relative parity in competition.

He and Quill mainly play the game to attack attack attack. I see why they like EU4.

I can't watch Civ 6 let's plays any longer. I always want to reach into the video and grab the controls. I can't wait to play the game myself. Watching videos just makes it worse.

I can't watch Civ 6 let's plays any longer. I always want to reach into the video and grab the controls. I can't wait to play the game myself. Watching videos just makes it worse.

Same. I love watching the first looks and watched a few let's play episodes but inevitably I find myself wishing they were playing the game my way, or rather that I was just playing myself to explore the new features I'm most interested in haha. Less than 2 weeks now!

I've been watching 2- quill's and marbozir's, so no useless poll option for me.
Though I've lately largely stopped. Late game especially is very boring to watch- the games are very much decided by medieval/renaissance.

Though the early part of marbozir's Kongo game was good to watch. Kongo's mechanics are far more interesting than I initially thought... and there are lot more bugs in the game than I hoped.

I have been watching as many videos as I can, reading through most of the forum threads and websites that compiled details about the game to get a solid understand of how things work. I also cannot wait for the game to come out so I feel like I am play vicariously through the let's play videos. At the same time, I still feel like I have not lost any sense of discovery or spoiled the game since I am still just as excited to get my hands on the manual and the game at launch to explore all the details for myself. Even after 1400 hours at Civ V and countless hours of all the other games in the Civ series, I still always find new things to try and learn. If I thought the game was completely unbalanced, broken and was going to change radically at launch, I would probably avoid most the preview info since it would be a waste of time but the game I have seen in previews looks amazing to me and I cannot wait to start playing.

All this flood of LPs was a bit too much for me, so I mostly stopped watching them, because I suddenly felt a bit burned out, if such a thing is possible. First, you starve with a few crumbs of info a week, and then suddenly you're at a table with twenty plates on it at once - too much to stomach. And this long wait, when you see a bunch of people playing it on Twitch/YT, while you just can't lay your hands on it is really exhausting. I think three weeks of such teasing is too much, one would have been enough and plenty.

Last edited:
Top Bottom