Axeman Speculation

On horseback, mind you. If it were a Sioux unit, they would not be afoot.

Oh I know, which is why I said it doesn't mean anything. Although, an awesome idea for a horse UU would be the ability to mount/dismount. Dismounting would make the unit no longer vulnerable to pikemen, etc.

Oh I know, which is why I said it doesn't mean anything. Although, an awesome idea for a horse UU would be the ability to mount/dismount. Dismounting would make the unit no longer vulnerable to pikemen, etc.

That would actually be really cool. I dunno why it's never been used before - there's plenty of UUs in the game that could've used an ability like that, such as the samurai (which would be way better than their generally ahistorical, stereotypical portrayal as foot soldiers).

I personally think that we're looking at barbarians being expanded upon. No more barbarians in the renaissance or modern eras!

Probably fleshed out barbarians into themes, like Barbarians, "Injuns," Terrorists, Raiders, Bandits, Brigands, Partisans, Marauders, Outlaws, Pirates; that sort of thing.

"Your tile has been pillaged by a marauding Marauder!"

Perhaps barbarians change depending on the continent, too? Maybe the barbarian unit seen here was spawned from a camp in an American map area? Maybe if they spawn on an island or coast, we get Pirates?

Barbarian pass would be amazing for immersion.

This may just be a dumb idea, but...

Are we sure that the Tomahawk's colors are black and red? I just had an Ethiopian Caravel buzz by one of my cities and had a heart attack. Ethiopia's colors are really close to a Barbarian. Maybe someone who knows that color comparison method that figured out the wikivenetian purple could take a look?

I was just thinking that maybe the civ's colors are as close to a barbarian's as Ethiopia's are, or that the Tomahawk is in Ethiopia's colors as if it came from a militaristic city-state or something.

This may just be a dumb idea, but...

Are we sure that the Tomahawk's colors are black and red? I just had an Ethiopian Caravel buzz by one of my cities and had a heart attack. Ethiopia's colors are really close to a Barbarian. Maybe someone who knows that color comparison method that figured out the wikivenetian purple could take a look?

I was just thinking that maybe the civ's colors are as close to a barbarian's as Ethiopia's are, or that the Tomahawk is in Ethiopia's colors as if it came from a militaristic city-state or something.

Menzies, can you help us determine how close Ethiopia's colours are to the barbarians' colour.

If you look at the bottom of the attached screenshot, taken from the latest featurette, it shows the barbarians haven't changed colour - so the unit must be a barbarian.

Attachments

• Barbarians.jpg
    Barbarians.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 237
A civ that can disguise units as barb as an UA ain t stupid.

1. You know it s this civ....then what ? you can declare war but then you get the warmonger penalty as well as the consecquences of any defensive pacts.
2. If you are the barbciv , you can go the AI pillage n stuff without diplo modifiers
3. In MP , well you can be subtle and only send warriors , pikes , plausible units that can pass for barbs, enter territory from right angle , etc ....Even if it turns out to be not so good in MP,you just won t play the civ (I guess sweeden s UA about GP is not much used in MP for instance, same with dutch UA). MP is a territory were balance is always different.

A civ that can disguise units as barb as an UA ain t stupid.

1. You know it s this civ....then what ? you can declare war but then you get the warmonger penalty as well as the consecquences of any defensive pacts.
2. If you are the barbciv , you can go the AI pillage n stuff without diplo modifiers
3. In MP , well you can be subtle and only send warriors , pikes , plausible units that can pass for barbs, enter territory from right angle , etc ....Even if it turns out to be not so good in MP,you just won t play the civ (I guess sweeden s UA about GP is not much used in MP for instance, same with dutch UA). MP is a territory were balance is always different.

So in other words... horrible, and I don't even play MP. The AI would never figure out who is who and will attack indiscriminately . And even if you don't want to declare war against the suspecting AI of this civ, attacking with barbs would be so inefficient when the rest of the world is also targeting those units. For pillaging, it's just another mechanic the human player will abuse.

I prefer a theory where a civ's units can create barbarian copies of itself rather than appear as barbarians.

I prefer a theory where a civ's units can create barbarian copies of itself rather than appear as barbarians.

Or you could just sell units to barbarians. This looks the most logical. And it really adds some funny strategies.

Maybe they are allowing barbarians to spawn UU's for civ's not in the game like militaristic CS's.

It would make barbarians much more dangerous and provide an indirect buff for Germany and the Ottoman.

Maybe they are allowing barbarians to spawn UU's for civ's not in the game like militaristic CS's.

It would make barbarians much more dangerous and provide an indirect buff for Germany and the Ottoman.
Oh no, that would be madness. Imagine armies of Naresaun elephants pillaging your lands.

I was thinking of a promotion called something like "Raider" which shows the unit as a barbarian to other civs. If such a unit is killed inside a civs border that civ has 50% chance to uncover to which civ this units belong. Or if the unit attacks another civs unit and get killed that civ has 50% chance to uncover to which civ this units belong. If uncovered that civ declares immediate war without penalty. This would be especially fun with the new trade route mechanic.
But now that I think about it, what should the reaction of real barbs be against that unit. Hmm.... So this will not work for UU's as they are very noticable.
And such a concept could explain the barb axeman... Another possible explanation which can be added to the others, highly unlikely though...

Oh no, that would be madness. Imagine armies of Naresaun elephants pillaging your lands.

Good. Barbarians should be relevant through most of the early game. Barbarian uprisings baby. I would like to see their "camps" upgrade through the ages.

Good. Barbarians should be relevant through most of the early game. Barbarian uprisings baby. I would like to see their "camps" upgrade through the ages.

Yeah, I'd really like to see some depth given to the barbarians.

Turn them into mercenaries starting in the medieval era, make it to where you can sign contracts with them and hire their armies to do stuff (instead of the current system where we purchase units out of thin air with gold)

Turn them into organized crime, drug traffickers, terrorists, arms dealers in late game. Until now I thought this was a pipe dream, this thread's giving me a little hope that they might have really done something cool with barbs

Except that counters the claim of some that the civs do not fill up the lands, as they allegedly should for some reason. You got to have empty lands and fog/unvisited areas in order to have barbarian camps from Medieval and beyond.

Barbarians do appear if your people are upset enough. With the new ideology system it will be more likely to see rebel units showing up.

But with the overloaded happiness system instituted in G&K, is there any reason why anyone would ever get -20 happiness and see rebels?

Top Bottom