Axeman Speculation

But with the overloaded happiness system instituted in G&K, is there any reason why anyone would ever get -20 happiness and see rebels?

Because it is no longer G&K? Given ideological differences spawn unhappiness, I expect to see greater fluctuation in happiness levels.

Yeah, I'd really like to see some depth given to the barbarians.

Turn them into mercenaries starting in the medieval era, make it to where you can sign contracts with them and hire their armies to do stuff (instead of the current system where we purchase units out of thin air with gold)

Turn them into organized crime, drug traffickers, terrorists, arms dealers in late game. Until now I thought this was a pipe dream, this thread's giving me a little hope that they might have really done something cool with barbs

Yeah but that is an entirely separate mechanic for another expansion. I know for sure I won't be buying Civ VI if it doesn't include religion and espionage from the getgo, only to shoe-horn these mechanics in the next expansion. I want to see some new features we haven't gotten before in future expansions in the franchise, along with returning ones.

The problem is what everything happens during classic era. If we don't consider screenshot to be forged, there are no ideologies yet at this time.

The problem is what everything happens during classic era. If we don't consider screenshot to be forged, there are no ideologies yet at this time.

We should definitely consider the screenshot to be staged. Consider every screenshot and every video from Firaxis to be staged. Only gameplay video where the 3rd party reviewer controls the action is free from total staging.

Whatever they were showing us there, they have not commented on. Hence our far-flung speculation.

In my opinion, the most compelling piece of evidence that this is a UU rather than a normal barbarian is the fact that Firaxis hasn't said a peep about it. We've had this screenshot since PAX I think, but we are now about 5 weeks from release. There is only 2 civs left unknown. We've seen the entire tech tree. Yet this one unit escapes our knowledge? It must be tied in with one of the remaining unknown civs.

We should definitely consider the screenshot to be staged. Consider every screenshot and every video from Firaxis to be staged. Only gameplay video where the 3rd party reviewer controls the action is free from total staging.

Whatever they were showing us there, they have not commented on. Hence our far-flung speculation.

This screenshot is definitely a hint. Putting something in a center of official screenshot, looking at pages of speculations and after a month saying something like "That's just for fun. Normally you'll not see anything like this"... Well, it's one of the worst PR moves I could imagine.

There's lots pointing to a native american civ. Besides this Tomahawk "barbarian" unit, there is also the fact that the pueblo have been removed (supposedly). A north american civ would be a natural replacement. Then there's the new world conquest deluxe scenario. Presumably modified for more civs and systems, this would allow the addition of the netherlands and portugal and, presumably to maintain the balance of civs in the old and new world, the maya and another new native american civ.

The more info is released, the more i think this is a UU.

There's lots pointing to a native american civ. Besides this Tomahawk "barbarian" unit, there is also the fact that the pueblo have been removed (supposedly). A north american civ would be a natural replacement. Then there's the new world conquest deluxe scenario. Presumably modified for more civs and systems, this would allow the addition of the netherlands and portugal and, presumably to maintain the balance of civs in the old and new world, the maya and another new native american civ.

The more info is released, the more i think this is a UU.

The questions is whether it is
1. A UU that normally appears like a barbarian
OR
2. Barbarians get UUs of civs not in game/claimed by a Militaristic CS

2. Seems easier on gameplay (although barbarian battering rams would be interesting)

At this point I am less curious about why it appears to be a barbarian and more interested in what it is and to whom it belongs.

The questions is whether it is
1. A UU that normally appears like a barbarian
OR
2. Barbarians get UUs of civs not in game/claimed by a Militaristic CS

2. Seems easier on gameplay (although barbarian battering rams would be interesting)

Or 3. It's a mocked up screenshot to throw us off. That's what i lean towards.

I really doubt they would incorporate becoming a barbarian into some form of ability specific to a civ, especially not a native american civ. That would open a little can of worms.

If it did happen, i could genuinely write my masters thesis on it, looking at representations of native americans in modern media and the leftover perceptions we have from Columbus, Cortez and all the other lovely Iberian explorers.

In the last video (might be the same one, but I didn't see the axeman just now), it shows all of the "enemy attackers" as barbarians. Now, I haven't played the really hard difficulties so I don't know, but when is the last time you saw a barbarian battleship? I've dealt with barbarian caravels, but never modern era units. I agree that it is more plausible that they painted up the units as barbarians. Throwing in the axeman was perhaps a (not so) subtle hint.

I usually have about -100 happiness on prince, is that not standard? I just play through it and ignore the penalties. that kind of unhappiness is necessary for domination, which is the only victory condition I go for.

In the last video (might be the same one, but I didn't see the axeman just now), it shows all of the "enemy attackers" as barbarians. Now, I haven't played the really hard difficulties so I don't know, but when is the last time you saw a barbarian battleship? I've dealt with barbarian caravels, but never modern era units. I agree that it is more plausible that they painted up the units as barbarians. Throwing in the axeman was perhaps a (not so) subtle hint.

Unless something has changed, Barbarians don't build units that require resources. Of course, either the barbarians not building units that don't require resources thing or the Battleships require resources thing could have changed as well.

I usually have about -100 happiness on prince, is that not standard? I just play through it and ignore the penalties. that kind of unhappiness is necessary for domination, which is the only victory condition I go for.

If you are not razing useless cities, then yes, that is standard.

If you are not razing useless cities, then yes, that is standard.

I think that is one of the thing that separates the different playstyles - strategists would never, ever let happiness get low even doing domination. It is very easy to maintain happiness above -20 even while doing fast conquerings. You do realize that penalities below 0 include slower growth (most important thing in the game) and slower production, not to mention angry citizens if it gets too low? If not, I can point you to some articles in Strategies & Tips to help manage happiness better, which could come in handy for BNW.

We've known it for a little while. It's a barbarian chariot replacement.

It's a barbarian ranged unit which replaces the chariot archer (upgrades to knight).

It has 9 ranged and defensive strength
2 moves

A barbarian replacement for the chariot archer

Top Bottom