Aztec Battle AI Succesfully wipes Out Siam... Inteligently

Scios

Chieftain
I am playing on diety and I watched as my Aztec Neighbor steamrolled the Siamese. I thought it was by sheer force, but it was a well thought out assault. They started bombing with ranged artillery. Then they used fighters and Jet Fighters. They finally finished the city off with tanks. This gives me great hope for the strategic AI. :) I will try and attach a picture once I stop using my iPhone to do this post. Lol.

well, i've certainly seen the AI coordinate bombardement, air assaults, and ground attacks when seiging a city. if it has its heart set on taking a city, and plenty of units, it can usually do it.

the problem comes when it tries to fight open terrain battles, particularly with setting up and defending artillery.

Lol. I've seen some real crappy artillery movement myself. It's humorous, yet can be depressing. At least there is hope, what works on cities can work on plains! Now for even more far fetched... naval invasions. :0

Generally, they seem to have problems moving their artillery after the defenders are killed. They'll move them straight through harms way to get out of harms way.

I've seen the AI actually take some cities with coordinated assaults. They never took any of mine, though, due to the fact that I decimated their armies before they could arrive. :lol:

I'll give the AI credit for being able to pull off a decent assault, given enough units. I've been suprised by a coordinated attack of 10+ units all converging on one city on the same turn, out of nowhere (emperor level). I lost two cities in that attack, although I was eventually able to turn the tide and win the war and the game.

I think the problem is more when they don't have an overwhelming force at their disposal. They seem to act more indecisively, shuffling back & forth in range of your cities making them easy pickings. It's the worst with artillery units in these situations - but then again in the above suprise attack, they were used very effectively.

Overall I think the AI still needs a bit of work, but it's not nearly as bad as some people here will make it sound.

Probably the thing about the AI is not that it needs a major overhaul, but rather that the weighing of the options needs a recalibration. The AI is probably fine in essence and I would not be surprised if it should become acceptable one day.

Of course I take comments staying that the AI it's bad with a grain of salt, since some players are so bad that they are in no position to comment on the AI. :)

I must say i was impressed in my last game on 7th level ( played as Bismarck on world big map with 22 civs - original start ). Let me tell you in a short. It was a year 1785 and me and Russia were having a big fight which is now 600-700 years!!. Through this time i was able to conquer only 1 russian city. I was very aggressive ( too much i guess) so i was quickly denounced and declared by everybody ( war with 22 nations and located in the middle of Europe..hmm). Still i was able to hold every city with little loses however russian front was something special. Moscow was my main target, but somehow i was unable to conquer it. They were always 4-5 techs in front of me ( i have no money to research deals to make my progress, still must build units to defend which hurt my economy) which means better weapons ( catapults against cannons, more mature units, for instance russian cannon has 3 ranged deadly attack which completely wipe my unit in woods!).
In last 100 years ( it is 1890 now) war with Russia was still on with short peace period in the middle, lasted of course no more than 10 turns as they declared again. I was finally able to conquer Moscow ( after 400 years!! ) with a lot of casualties, but this goes due to the fact that they were attacked by China, Siam and Mongolia from the west. My focus at this time were dropped a little regarding war units ( Moscow was captured and there were no russian cities near which would be necessary to get) so i oriented more to the economy and science to be able to catch the leaders or at least be able to fight evenly when the time come. I naively believe the data from the statistics and information drop menu that Russia losing the war in the west and will be occupied in the west front, but tough luck - they called a truce with them. At that time ( must have some research agreements or Sid Meier there) because they researched infantry, flying and artillery and deployed quite some numbers of modern units in our border.
Point of all this is the AI behavior in the attack ( specially latest one - they used air units to soften my exposed units in hills surrounding the Moscow, then they attacked with infantry using anti-air units in the middle to defend their artillery in the back. Still artillery was little quit and not used as it should and a noticed numerous fresh anti air units ( possible upgrades?). Nevertheless this game was so great with this battle between Russia and us that i even stopped to pay attention to leaders, scoreboard and finally win was not my primary goal anymore.
The waiting turn time was less than a minute ( 1890), so game was still very enjoyable, but the difference here was an AI attack moves which were quite impressive ( at least for me) and must say i never noticed this kind of AI behavior before.

BTW the game is still not finished, currently i am in 6-7 place regarding the statistics ( UN were build, Apollo program started, nuclear bombs are near, but hey - who cares, i will first try to defend from the Russians and then i will go for counterattack - if game will be won by some other AI - nice, my aim is now not to win the game but to defeat the russians..)) For me this game is main reason why i will stay active and support devs to make this game even more enjoyable.:)

I have a good game going where I could easily win (number one in everything) but am having too much fun watching the AI battle it out and juggling relationships. How powerful am I? I gifted 8 GDR to Mongolia and 8GDR to Japan and made them hate each other. The war was so shiny. 

I've seen the AI actually take some cities with coordinated assaults. They never took any of mine, though, due to the fact that I decimated their armies before they could arrive. :lol:

I always enjoy watching an army charge my borders as my artillery, cannons, archers, or crossbowmen tear them to pieces right next to my city limits.

Top Bottom