Back to Civ II ToT

Soylentblue

Chieftain
I used to play ToT years ago. I got tired of Civ 6 crashing all the time so I found a copy of ToT on ebay.

My first thing to do is change the graphics. So far I'm not something right. I can change the graphics out in PSP but ToT still reads the default graphic. I remember this happening way back in the day but I can't remeber the proper way to edit the units file.

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

How about pointing me to the proper guide? I am having trouble finding any information on how to do so properly.

Soylentblue, it is great that you are still able to run Civ 2 ToT on a pc that can also run Civ 6 (what needs win 7 as minimum). :)

Speaking about Civ 2 ToT unit graphics: Civ 2 ToT holds partly animated unit graphic sprites and it can also be played by the bmp unit file. As you wrote about PSP, I guess you have modded the bmp unit file - but for the partly animated unit sprites there also exists a static unit sprite file that is used instead of the bmp file on the map.

So, if you have modded the Civ 2 ToT bmp unit file correctly, you still must disable the animated units in the game graphics options of Civ 2 ToT, otherwise you will see the animated and static unit sprite graphics instead of your modded bmp graphics on the map (so in this case you should see your modded bmp graphics in the unit civilopedia of Civ 2 ToT).

Game graphics options.jpg

Thanks Civinator, I figured that out after digging through whats left of my memory. Deleting the units.spr did the trick. I do appreciate the reply.

This has been a neat trip to the past playing this game again. Having to totally relearn the strats and tricks. Plus, Don't have to worry about any dratted mem leaks is a straight up bonus.

Now if I could just get the totpp patch to run.

Now if I could just get the totpp patch to run.

ToTPP is really brilliant and the Civ2 modders, especially those of the Scenario League have done wonderful scenarios with ToTPP. The most important is, that you patch your Civ 2 ToT to Test Of Time v1.1, what can become problematic, if you have the Civ Chronicles version of Civ 2 ToT.

ToTPP is really brilliant and the Civ2 modders, especially those of the Scenario League have done wonderful scenarios with ToTPP. The most important is, that you patch your Civ 2 ToT to Test Of Time v1.1, what can become problematic, if you have the Civ Chronicles version of Civ 2 ToT.

I have the 1.1 patch installed. totpp doesn't recognize the exe file, for some reason. I don't which "vanilla 1.1 exe" to use.

Of course, that is exactly what I have. So that explains why the patch says "unknown exe". My luck stinks.

:(

I tried that exe file. Won't work for me. Guess I'm stuck back in the old days. Thank you for helping though.

Soylentblue, I have sent you a pm. As TNO posted: ToTLauncher.exe needs to run with administrator privileges to be allowed to patch the executable and you should install Civ2 ToT directly in Windows (C: ) and not in Programme (X86).

Last edited:
I got totpp to run. Compatability mode was winxpSP3. Now time to figure out how to get more units into the game.

:) :) :):dance::woohoo:[tot]

I got totpp to run. Compatability mode was winxpSP3. Now time to figure out how to get more units into the game.

:) :) :):dance::woohoo:[tot]

This is great. :)

To add more units to Civ2 TOTPP you must add a special part to your rules text, called Cosmic2 and to enlarge your bmp units file. I started by downloading the great Cesar scenario and looking where the Cosmic2 part was added and how it is structured:

Cosmic2.jpg

Additionally here I made a summary about the 73patches of TOTPP: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/the-patches-of-totpp.666282/
Edit: See here Patch 63 : Extra unit types

Last edited:
Hi @Soylentblue ,

If you want a PDF version of all the latest features associated to the Test of Time Project, you can download the TOTPP v016.pdf reference guide from the Scenario Creation Excel Sheet thread located here.

Hi @Soylentblue ,

If you want a PDF version of all the latest features associated to the Test of Time Project, you can download the TOTPP v016.pdf reference guide from the Scenario Creation Excel Sheet thread located here.

Thank you!

I'll give it a look and see what I ca do.

Hi
I'm just using the forum for the first time. I've started to play ToT, I played Civ 2 a lot 20 or so years ago, I like the idea of ToT but the graphics are unclear on it. The terrain hides the units and the units are too hard to see and make out what they are eg settlers and phalanx are too fuzzy and I have to strain my eyes to work out what the unit is. I remember Civ 2 having very clear graphics. Is this a known issue for ToT and are there mods the graphics clear up. Is there any city view or wonder videos on ToT?
Sorry for maybe changing the topic of the thread, maybe I should make a new one.

Hi
I'm just using the forum for the first time. I've started to play ToT, I played Civ 2 a lot 20 or so years ago, I like the idea of ToT but the graphics are unclear on it. The terrain hides the units and the units are too hard to see and make out what they are eg settlers and phalanx are too fuzzy and I have to strain my eyes to work out what the unit is. I remember Civ 2 having very clear graphics. Is this a known issue for ToT and are there mods the graphics clear up. Is there any city view or wonder videos on ToT?
Sorry for maybe changing the topic of the thread, maybe I should make a new one.
Hello Pat.Bass.
Are you still with Civ2ToT (patched 1.1 ?) or have you installed ToTPP too ?

Anyway, it's very easy to change civ's graphics to brighter one, and rather easy to avoid sprited units too.

I may not propose you the template I began to build, as it includes a twelfth land (thus needs ToTPP to work properly)

Hi

Hi Pat.Bass,

You can go to Catfish’s website to download better terrain and unit graphics for ToT here:

http://users.tpg.com.au/jpwbeest/jp_miscgraphics.htm

Top Bottom